Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I got silver in change yesterday.

goldengolden Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last night I went to a small diner. I ordered two plain doughnuts and a Dr. Pepper. The bill came to $3.29. I gave them .29 in change and a $20. I got back $17 as a big handful of change. At first I was irritated because I was trying to get rid of change. Then I saw that in the change were 3 Silver Dollars. There were 2 Peace Dollars ( one was very worn about an AG-3 ) and a Morgan Dollar. I was wondering if there were more in the cash register. Then I woke up to go to the bathroom.

Comments

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

I knew your story was fake as soon as you wrote, "two plain donuts". Everyone knows you love sprinkles!

• Options
    Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

HAHA That's awesome! There is some odd ball change stories. Some are so far out of this world but end up being true. This one is pretty humorous. Thank you.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭✭✭

Around 1990 or so I saw a guy pay for a pack of cigs in a Arco gas station. Along with some cash, he tossed 10 or 12 Buffalo nickels on the counter. I was standing behind him in line. I got a fairly good look at them --- all were well worn. The attendant counted them out, and said 'Looks good' and the guy (older gentleman) walked out. I immediately asked the attendant if I could purchase them but he said 'no thanks', as he tossed them into a small box below the cash register. Very strange!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

yes, that must have been a real pisser when you realized it was just a dream >:)

• Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

About 5 years ago, I saw a real Peace Dollar in the change drawer at McDonalds, along with an Ike. I asked the cashier about getting them in change, and the cashier was happy to let me have them in change, and get rid of that oddball stuff in the till.

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Haha. Funny, but stuff like that does still happen

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I ever saw a silver dollar in a change drawer (and yes, I do scan them) at checkout, I would certainly try to acquire it. I have been cultivating some friendships at the local market checkouts... hoping they may bear fruit (as in silver fruit) at some point. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

anyone remember in the early 1960ies when a lot of bags of silver dollars were released to the public there were a few unc bags of seated liberty dollars in the mix with the peace and morgan dollars? What a surprise that must have been for the person(s) who bought those bags!

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can remember getting Silver Dollars from the bank to look for dates that I needed. When I was finished I then took the rest back to the bank.

Also remember going with my dad to the other side of town to look at a $1000 bag of 1887-O . It was priced at either $ 1100 or $1150. We passed . Big mistake, huge mistake.

• Options
    mharrismharris Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited May 31, 2017 7:29AM

About 20 tears ago a buddy of mine worked at a gas station and late one night he called to tell me he found two rolls of Mercury dimes in the drawer. By the time I sped over there, he had given away half of a roll, but let me buy the remainder for face value plus a pack of smokes. If I remember, they were all circulated common dates, but still a good catch! Not sure if I have found any silver in change since then; perhaps a few buffaloes.
    edit: I did find a proof dime in change the other day... so there's that.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

In late 2015 I got a 1922 Peace and a 1971 Ike at the bank when asking for Ike dollars. I live in an area with a lot of older residents so stuff like this happens from time to time. I have even roll searched at banks and churned up solid rolls of silver Roosies.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

The last time that I received a Peace $ back in change was 1957.... had no idea what it was & immediately spend it on a burger, coke & chips for $.56. Had I only known then what I know now.... :'(

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if back in 1965 people were looking for clad coins in Coinstar machines as they would have been rare back then.

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

every once in awhile i'll get silver dimes from the 1960's in change not really anything of major importance but still

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2017 10:18PM

@abcde12345 said:
    I wonder if back in 1965 people were looking for clad coins in Coinstar machines as they would have been rare back then.

Can you imagine in 1965, all that SILVER running rampant through all the cash registers, vending machines and in peoples pockets! :o

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭

@abcde12345 said:

I like the way you think.

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abcde12345 said:

In 1965 Coinstar machines were even rarer than clad coins.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:
    The last time that I received a Peace $ back in change was 1957.... had no idea what it was & immediately spend it on a burger, coke & chips for $.56. Had I only known then what I know now.... :'(

It takes $10 today to buy what $1 would buy in 1957. A circulated Peace dollar now fetches about $20. If you had saved the coin its purchasing power would have doubled, but it would have taken 60 years to do so.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Overdate said:

@OPA said:

It takes $10 today to buy what $1 would buy in 1957. A circulated Peace dollar now fetches about $20. If you had saved the coin its purchasing power would have doubled, but it would have taken 60 years to do so.

How true.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file