Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Rescued MrsSpuds Grandmothers and Great Grandfathers Coin Collection from the we buy silver people

MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭

Recently MrsSpuds Grandmother passed away. While the relatives were liquidating the estate they came across some older coins that Grandma tucked away over the years along with some that were from Grandmas father. They were going to take them to the nearest we buy silver and gold dealers but I told them I'd buy them for fair market value right out of the latest Coin Values guide just to keep those old original coins from getting abused. Here's a few pictures of some of the more interesting looking ones. Nothing of very high value but guaranteed original.

Comments

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

interesting lot of coins

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whew...close one! Nice grouping of type coinage...no three cent piece?

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is the overdate? 1817/3?

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options

No three cent pieces, unless this one that has a iii on it happens to be some kind of three cent piece. I dunno what it is though

And yes, that sure is a 1817/3, my favorite one in the group

• Options

Here's the whole lot of them

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice of you to put some extra money in their pockets. Good deal for all, I think.

bob:)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2017 9:33PM

@MrSpud said:
    No three cent pieces, unless this one that has a iii on it happens to be some kind of three cent piece. I dunno what it is though

And yes, that sure is a 1817/3, my favorite one in the group

1786 Mexico 1 Real. Carolus III

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2017 10:32PM

the NC we buy gold silver folks sure missed out on this one

glad it got rescued

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

whoa nice! 1817/13 was saved!

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool!
    Good start on a homegrown 7070 there ;)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blu62vette said:
    What is the overdate? 1817/3?

Yes

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry about your grandmother.
    Glad you stepped up to keep some of your family's keepsakes.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    CyndieChildressCyndieChildress Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

Very nice to have them in the hands of someone who appreciates them!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great save, and that overdate is really nice.... What is the bent/double struck coin? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭

Awesome! I agree, super bust half!

• Options

@ricko said:
    Great save, and that overdate is really nice.... What is the bent/double struck coin? Cheers, RickO

Looks like an early Mexico Zacatecas Mint 1 or 2 Reales. Cap and Ray series. Pre-1843.

• Options

I'm going to have to research the bent/double looking one more. I'm assuming it is post mint damage, but not sure. I'm thinking it is related to this 8 Reales type coin I found doing a google search, but not sure. Here's the picture of the one I found on Google that looks a bit like it:

• Options
    edited May 29, 2017 9:32AM

Here's more pictures of both sides of the bent up one. Can't tell much from the other side of the coin, just a wreath outline on the very bottom. The side with the Phrygian cap has the following legible things on it .2 (only the .2 are distorted and the 2 doesn't look like the 2 that isn't distorted) followed by a flattened area and then 0.V.10D!20G only the . marks are raised to the middle of the numbers or letters that they are in between

Edit- looking closely at the ! Between the D and the 20G it looks like squished s above a . Like on the 8 Reale coin I found on Google. There also appears to be another squished s with a . underneath it after the 20G, similar to the 8 Reale coin. That's about it though, can't make anything else out.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

You might try posting this on the world coins forum.... Someone there may be able to ID it.... but it looks like two different coins mashed... I do not think Mexico or Spain used the Phrygian Cap symbol...ICBW...Cheers, RickO

• Options

I'll do that, but I just did another quick google search and found this Mexican 2 Reale coin. A website said that Mexico made these in several denominations with a wide range of mint marks. I'm thinking what I have is one of those

• Options
    edited May 29, 2017 9:57AM

It's a 1825-1832 Zacatecas Mint 1 or 2 Reales (depends on the weight). Assayer initials OV are Zacatecas and last time used in 1831.

• Options
    edited May 29, 2017 9:58AM

By the way, the 1840 8 Reales you posted from Durango with initials OMC is actually a pattern.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Haggin Gallery museum in Stockton, CA has (or had) a group of coins dug at the Donner Party site.

They looked very similar. :)

• Options
    edited May 29, 2017 10:43AM

Thanks TwoKopeiki! You seem to be very knowledgeable about this type of coin

• Options

@topstuf said:
    Haggin Gallery museum in Stockton, CA has (or had) a group of coins dug at the Donner Party site.

They looked very similar. :)

I'll have to check that out sometime. I'm actually living near Stockton and commute through there to work.

• Options

Does anyone think the bent (probably) 2 Reale Mexican coin could be a mint error, or is it definitely post mint damage like I thought when I first saw it?

• Options

Looks PMD to me, as there are no indication of any design transfer.

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

@MrSpud said:
    Here's the whole lot of them

Nice.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is interesting that the second strike on the Cap & Rays is circular, like a die. How often does that happen with PMD?

Regardless of Mint Error or PMD, the Cap & Rays looks like a very interesting piece.

• Options

@Zoins said:
    It is interesting that the second strike on the Cap & Rays is circular, like a die. How often does that happen with PMD?

Regardless of Mint Error or PMD, the Cap & Rays looks like a very interesting piece.

Could have been hit with a hammer for whatever reason.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file