Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Capped Bust Collectors... How do you...

cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

When cherry picking at coin shows, estate sales, etc., what techniques do you use to memorize the most elusive/expensive die marriages? Do you restrict yourself to a certain number? Are there any tricks? I'm assuming you all don't lug around Overton books everywhere.

Comments

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are pick-up-points on all rare varieties that an expert can memorize and attribute on a coin in seconds. I have the DBHE 1801-1807 series memorized, they lowest berry in relation to A on the reverse and star orientation, and the obverse stars to L and Y and date are the key points.

When you cannot attribute a bust half, and you know it is not counterfeit, then a new variety has been discovered that is worth $20,000+, as has happened twice on this forum:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/224321/new-variety-draped-bust-half-dollar-1807-o-115-discovered-here-prev-unknown-obv-12-not-described
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/441002/sometimes-you-get-a-nice-cherrypick-then-sometimes-you-get-cherrypicked-draped-bust-half

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    unclebobunclebob Posts: 433 ✭✭✭

Find a reference book and bury your head on ebay and Heritage and look at thousands of coins.

With 8tf 1878 Morgans, after a few months I've memorized so many PUP's that I can almost scan the obverse and reverse and eliminate or qualify the coin for further review before even looking at the TF

• Options

Thank you everyone!

• Options
    PaleElfPaleElf Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

@mozin said:
    THE TOP 100 R4 AND R5 CAPPED BUST HALF DOLLAR VARIETIES & SUB-VARIETIES by Edgar E. Souders. This small pocket book was published in 2002 and sold out quickly. Good luck finding a used one.

Some of the very best Bust Half Dollar collectors are so smart that they carry an unbelievable amount of CBH information in their heads. These men don't need to check books or papers.

Edgar has his book listed on eBay for $15.99. eBay ID Vivedtreasures.

• Options

@PaleElf said:

@mozin said:
    THE TOP 100 R4 AND R5 CAPPED BUST HALF DOLLAR VARIETIES & SUB-VARIETIES by Edgar E. Souders. This small pocket book was published in 2002 and sold out quickly. Good luck finding a used one.

Some of the very best Bust Half Dollar collectors are so smart that they carry an unbelievable amount of CBH information in their heads. These men don't need to check books or papers.

Thank you both! I will be sure to buy a copy.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

For distinct areas of collecting, dedicated collectors immerse themselves in detail and usually can identify varieties without a reference in seconds. Many can also talk for hours on their specialty without repeating any details....I really enjoy talking to such experts. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PaleElf said:

@mozin said:

Thanks for the tip. I just bought a copy. CD also available.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file