Home U.S. Coin Forum

Discussion forum shortcomings

mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

I've only really been on the forums here a short time. But a few things that I personally wish were different:
1 - the ability to delete a comment. Instead I have to do "."
2 - the ability to delete a post. Instead I have to do "."
3 - the ability to use HTML instead of this "markdown" stuff!! I know HTML. I DON'T know markdown. Also - I can't use tables. If I want to show 2 (or more) photos side by side (I'm a very visual type guy) I have to edit in Photoshop. HTML would be soo much easier.
4 - a directory of dealers. AND a sticker on their profile pic as a cue that this post comes from a dealer. I'm just a lowly consumer. But I know that there are a TON of dealers here. Wouldn't it be nice if on the "profile" information, there were a few fields like, "website", "info - specializing in ... whatever you sell", and that sticker next to your profile pic so when I read whatever you post I know you are a dealer and not just "Joe Anybody" like me.? Make this more consumer-friendly please!

Do you have any suggestions?

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

Comments

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

A sarcasm font would be nice.

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

For those of us here forever, such as myself and others who may have joined back in the 1990s, these might seem like more minor issues. However, even though the new boards are wonderful, there may still be room for improvement. I'm not certain about points one and two, but for point three I used HTML to format the italics used in this post and I know that bold will also work. Perhaps you can try something else and use the "Preview" button on the bottom of your post to see what works and what does not.

The last point regarding dealers may or may not be useful. It is my impression that more and more "dealers" who show up here are really nothing more than collectors or others who are grasping for low-hanging fruit and are just here for quick profits until the disappear while providing no service whatsoever. If that is the definition of a dealer then that is fine, I guess, but it is not how I define a dealer. If one enables signature lines to appear in posts then one will find that many dealers will declare their status as a dealer and share their website; I know that I do this in my own posts.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

We need an underline fuction. When I mention a book title, I can't put an underline one. I don't know what this "S slash" thing is. It makes no sense to me.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2017 6:25AM

Underline

Just use the carrot symbol (<) on either side of what you want to underline. Use this carrot and other symbols all without the parenthesis (<) followed by (u) followed by (>) all before what you want to underline and then use (<) followed by (/) then (u) then (>) after what you want to underline.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    Underline

Just use the carrot symbol (<) on either side of what you want to underline. Use this carrot and other symbols all without the parenthesis (<) followed by (u) followed by (>) all before what you want to underline and then use (<) followed by (/) then (u) then (>) after what you want to underline.

If you quote Tom's post you will see what he means.

To be accurate, it is not a caret (which is the symbol above the 6) but an angle bracket...those symbols above the comma and dot, aka "less than" and "greater than" symbols.
    Lance.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

I talked to Walmann by phone last night. He sends his love. I wonder where Broadstruck is and how YaHa is doing.

Any fiascos going on this year ?
    Social networking is hard work.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Broadstruck has been missing for quite a while now.... I hope he is OK... Has anyone had any contact with him? Cheers, RickO

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like to point out something I found recently. You can use Windows' snipping tool to paste photos(screen captures) into a post. I always thought I had to save a file then upload it through here until I tried to paste from the snipping tool and it worked.

Collector, occasional seller

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

The delete post option was taken away because some posters were bumping threads from years ago and then deleting their post.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am just thankful it is here and has enough people to keep me engaged.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mt_msla said:
    3 - the ability to use HTML instead of this "markdown" stuff!! I know HTML. I DON'T know markdown. Also - I can't use tables. If I want to show 2 (or more) photos side by side (I'm a very visual type guy) I have to edit in Photoshop. HTML would be soo much easier.

I assume you haven't even tried to use html. It works. Reply to this post (but don't post the reply), and you'll see it's actually, real, HTML. You'll be surprised how much actually works.

image image
  • UnclePennyBagsUnclePennyBags Posts: 327 ✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2017 11:47AM

I'm all for an iTrader like points system for the BST... I've had nothing but great dealings here and would like to keep it that way!!

Successful trades.... MichaelDixon,

• mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

TY @BackroadJunkie I'll look into it a little more.

• islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭

Bring back the Open forum

YCCTidewater.com
  • cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2017 4:28PM

@TomB said:
    It is my impression that more and more "dealers" who show up here are really nothing more than collectors or others who are grasping for low-hanging fruit and are just here for quick profits until the disappear while providing no service whatsoever. If that is the definition of a dealer then that is fine, I guess, but it is not how I define a dealer. If one enables signature lines to appear in posts then one will find that many dealers will declare their status as a dealer and share their website; I know that I do this in my own posts.

I agree 100%. Anyone can incorporate and apply for a tax ID/EIN online in less than an hour.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

styles didn't work the last I tried.
    same with span and div

I've used tables, too.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is my favorite thread so far today.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish I had not opened this thread, my head now hurts:(

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is my impression that more and more "dealers" who show up here are really nothing more than collectors or others who are grasping for low-hanging fruit and are just here for quick profits until the disappear while providing no service whatsoever.

perhaps if more members were vocal about this type of thing within threads it would dissuade newcomers. sadly, we are left to self-police this sort of thing and it happens all too often. I made a comment in a recent thread and was left to hang out to dry.

Well guys - these comments about "dealers" here for quick profits and then waving goodbye...i don't know about all that.

Me personally,

@TomB said:
    Underline

You'll find less and less ways to underline, since it's now officially discouraged. They don't want them to get confused with hyperlinks, which are traditionally underlined, especially on monochrome monitors.

So even with some markdown and HTML interpreters, they take a traditional underline and turn it into italics.

edited May 25, 2017 11:01AM

@mt_msla said:
    Well guys - these comments about "dealers" here for quick profits and then waving goodbye...i don't know about all that.

Me personally,

Yeah, that's why Playboy brought back the nudes... ;)

Well.

Consider me sufficiently chastised.

Next time I wish to share an opinion, or some humor, I'll just keep it to myself.

Hope all you keyboard-jockies enjoyed the moment.

• krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

Maybe some posts got deleted but I didn't see anyone chastise you.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Low hanging fruit." That gave me a chuckle.

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup. I like HTML. I don't like this watered down markup or markdown or whatever it is.

• GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2019 4:40AM

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file