Home Precious Metals
Options

Looking for info on this silver

These have no markings at all aside from what appears to be a coins image stamped on them. They are eight ounce bars which apparently is uncommon and have been shaved a bit on the edges to get precise weight.****

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you certain that is silver. It sure looks like lead to me.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    Are you certain that is silver. It sure looks like lead to me.

Agree. If this was a precious metals bar there would be some indication of weight and fineness. Probably some bare metal bar. It's crude so it was probably made in someone's garage. Can we get better higher resolution pics?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

those pictures are hard to even see any details but it doesn't even look like silver

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

check it with a geiger counter

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

Where is it at? I don't see any silver...

keceph `anah
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with all the above... does not look like silver... and without markings, is likely NOT silver. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, it doesn't look like silver. The color is off.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wild guesses would be that it is either hot type metal, which was of course melted down and recast over and over and was stored in ingot form between uses, or babbitt metal which has various industrial uses.

When I started at Coin World in 1973 they were still using linotype machines to set type. I was occasionally in the typesetting room making late corrections to various things, and they had bins of crude ingots they could throw into the melting pots as needed.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bad imaging to say the very least.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

What happened to EricaRae? One post and she's gone. I guess she didn't like the responses she was getting. :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    FellintoOblivionFellintoOblivion Posts: 280 ✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    What happened to EricaRae? One post and she's gone. I guess she didn't like the responses she was getting. :D

Lead poisoning :'(