Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Collecting Circulated Silver Commems

erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 21, 2017 3:53PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Anyone here done a set of these? How difficult would it be complete in say XF/AU? Toughest dates, etc?

Comments

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

I started a set too. Don't run into them very often. Has been very fun.
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/693888/classic-commemorative#latest

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

It could be an entertaining secondary collecting project. However, don't start being willing to pay premiums to get them. The commemorative market is thin and weak and you could end up burying yourself.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erwindoc said:
    Anyone here done a set of these? How difficult would it be complete in say XF/AU? Toughest dates, etc?

Some of the issues from the later 1930s and later are almost impossible to find the circulated grades. You will pay almost as much for circulated pieces as toy will for the low to middle and even high end Mint State pieces.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen WTB's ads over on the BST over the years.
    Other than some Columbian Halves and Quarters, Lafayette dollars, and once in a blue moon one of the other halves, I have not seen many, but again I don't search for them either. I have read that unsold ones were occasionally dumped into circulation, so I suppose some are around.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

It will take patience but can be done. A fun long term project

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely an interesting series.... not much of a market if considering as investment.... I did a short set of commemoratives from states I lived in.... had to settle for state tokens in a couple since not all states have commemoratives. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check the Lowball commemorative section. There are 3 complete sets there

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file