Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Coin Collection

bullionsilver_hawaiibullionsilver_hawaii Posts: 33
edited May 19, 2017 9:20AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi,
I am a young man and have begun my interest in coins. I have a few coins (they aren't that rare) such as some V nickels and silver dimes. I am wondering on some tips some of you experienced coin collecters could give me to get quality coins for a decent price. Since I live in Hawaii, we only have a few coin shops, and I purchase most of my coins from the flea market. I would like to know how to grow my collection of silver (and maybe gold).

Thanks,
SB Hawaii

Comments

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alohagary is a member here, and a dealer in Hawaii.....you may want to see if you can chat with him in person at some point.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2017 1:24AM

Happy to hear there is another new coin collector in Hawaii. I go to the swap meet on Sundays and would love to meet you, Send me your phone number by private message.

Good sources to learn about coins is the local coin shows, there was a great one one last Saturday If you search the the messages for hawaii coin shows you will find the list of shows held in Hawaii.

There is also the Honolulu Coin Club that meets twice a month

Looking forward to meeting you
    gary

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bullionsilver_hawaii.... Welcome aboard.... and you have already made a valuable contact... This forum is a fantastic resource and the BST (Buy, Sell, Trade) forum offers opportunities to buy some great coins. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've purchased a LOT of coins from eBay, bot raw and graded. Purchasing raw vintage coins in XF to UNC condition can be very dangerous, however; most of the raw coins out there have been cleaned or are damaged in some way. Contemporary series coins and a few 20th century issues are fairly safe to purchase raw without concern of a problem coin, however.

If you have access to any coin shows in Hawaii- GO. A necessary basic skill is to understand hoe natural coin surfaces should look, and what cleaning looks like. Perhaps purchase a few cleaned coin in graded holders that are inexpensive to learn from.

Good luck; you've made a big step forward by joining this forum. People here really want to share their knowledge and help new collectors get started on the right path. We can help steer you away from many of the pitfalls that await, so feel free to chime in with questions!

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the club :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    unclebobunclebob Posts: 433 ✭✭✭

An axioms holds true...

Buy the book before the coin.

You will make big mistakes, get really lucky, and get discouraged and rinse and repeat.

Auction catalogs, books, coin shows, and auctions are your friend.

After twenty years of bouncing in and out of various collectible genres (coins and posters) it still holds true.

Find a mentor at a coin club.

There are so many avenues to pursue from token, medals, world coins... find your lane and run in it.

An interesting thread about an accomplished collector from 1908 was recently started.

Some things change and others remain the same.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

Hi guys,
    Thanks for all of your input. I forgot to mention one of the main roadblocks that will and can prevent me from purchasing quality collectable coins/bank notes. I am rather young (13 years old, though I look if I am 15-16) and am not old enough to get a job. I earn money rather slowly, and am working on some items made of recyclable materials to earn some cash to purchase coins. I will ponder the thought of ebay and the BST community, although that some things on the BST community and ebay are rather expensive. Do you know of any techniques and strategies I can use to avoid paying $50 for a Morgan Dollar and get one for decently cheap?

Thanks,
    SB Hawaii

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

welcome to the forums and a good start :)

• Options
    unclebobunclebob Posts: 433 ✭✭✭

I was thinking back to my teens, wishing that I had started a Buffalo Nickel collection at that age.

Good luck!

• Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aloha and welcome to CU. PM your address and I'll send you some stuff, on the house. Doing some spring cleaning and I will put together some coins to help jump start your collection.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2017 2:02PM

@bullionsilver_hawaii said:
    Hi guys,
    Thanks for all of your input. I forgot to mention one of the main roadblocks that will and can prevent me from purchasing quality collectable coins/bank notes. I am rather young (13 years old, though I look if I am 15-16) and am not old enough to get a job. I earn money rather slowly, and am working on some items made of recyclable materials to earn some cash to purchase coins. I will ponder the thought of ebay and the BST community, although that some things on the BST community and ebay are rather expensive. Do you know of any techniques and strategies I can use to avoid paying $50 for a Morgan Dollar and get one for decently cheap?

Thanks,
    SB Hawaii

PM me your addy and I will send you a coin or 2 free of charge to help you get started.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buy some used coin albums for the series you want to collect and start filling them up. Upgrade whenever you can, and always sell your duplicates. It's the best way to learn from the ground up.

I would also encourage you to collect as many things as possible, including world coins, tokens, medals and paper money. Again, that's how you learn.

Forget about slabs and investment potential and all that. You can worry about those things when you're older and have more money to play with. And by then, you'll have the knowledge and skills needed to do things right.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    Buy some used coin albums for the series you want to collect and start filling them up. Upgrade whenever you can, and always sell your duplicates. It's the best way to learn from the ground up.

I would also encourage you to collect as many things as possible, including world coins, tokens, medals and paper money. Again, that's how you learn.

Forget about slabs and investment potential and all that. You can worry about those things when you're older and have more money to play with. And by then, you'll have the knowledge and skills needed to do things right.

Good advice, Andy!

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options

I appreciate all of the generous offers I have recieved from you all. Due to some restrictions, I will not be able to accept any of the offers you have given me. I think that the information you all have given me is valuable enough to my collection.

Thanks,
    SB Hawaii

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file