Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I finally passed a registry set milestone...

ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 11, 2017 2:49PM in U.S. Coin Forum

This week I received grades on a submission which included a very nice addition to my my 1950-64 proof registry set. I made a 1950 Franklin in PR67. The addition of that little gem moved me from #11 to #9 in the 1950-64 Proof Registry...I FINALLY made it over the hump and cracked the top 10 after hanging out in 11th for nearly 2 years. PCGS price guide and recent auction results say it's a $3,000 coin...once again becoming a new "most valuable" coin for my collection. (I do need to sit down soon and take the necessary photos to fill in the gaps from upgrades over the past several months.)

That same proof set also included a PR67 RD Lincoln...which is also a very nice coin, but doesn't displace the PR66 CAM currently in my set.

This was the only other big cameo addition to my collection of the 3 submissions I got back this week, it is a PR68 DCAM. It bumps a PR69 CAM from my set, though they are both the same registry value in the respective registry sets.

I had made reference in a recent thread to an SMS Lincoln I was thinking had a shot at DCAM. I still think it had a shot, but they're sending it back to me in a 66 CAM holder. :(

I also added these nicely toned PR67's to my collection.

This one would totally be a DCAM if not for the haze, but it's really just too pretty to have cleared off.

It's been a pretty fun week...to have finally gotten my grades on these 3 submissions that were logged in on 3/23 at Modern, Secure Economy, and Economy service levels.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy Cow those are nice coins!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coins! I especially like the 67 SMS cent and the 69s quarter.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very purdy.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coins!

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    Holy Cow those are nice coins!

+1

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations! I like high grade Proof coins, but I'm not willing to pay the freight for the highest grade Proof coins. My Proof sets from 1950 to date all rare. There are some nice coins in those sets, but nothing that is ever going to get me anywhere on the registry if I were to get them graded. I have just enjoyed lining up the date run without the competition aspect to it.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lovely coins!

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet coins! THIS is the way to collect moderns.

• Options
    coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome coins!! Nice toning on the dimes and the '55 quarter.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way to go Don.

The half dollar is very nice as 1950 dated Franklins usually have hairlines which limit the grade to 63-65. A 67 grade is very unusual.

The 1969 quarter, 1967 SMS cent and the toned 1960 cent are knock your socks off beautiful.

So what is the back story on these coins? Raw purchases? If so you definitely did well and could easily sell and profit from these cherrypicks.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very,very nice!

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice :#

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coins! Comgrats on the top 10! I'm trying to get into the top 100 of my registry set hahaha

• Options

Thank you for all of the kind comments everyone. The favorites everyone called out are certainly among my favorites as well. There is only one 1967 SMS in DCAM, so I'm not surprised they didn't give it to me, but comparing this TrueView to the other cameos in Coin Facts clearly shows there is no comparison as to depth of fields.

The thing that I'm most proud of about my registry set is that although many would say the prime time for purchasing early cameo proofs raw was well past before I started collecting in 2011, all but 3 relatively nominal coins in my set have been purchased raw. The gems are still out there if you have the necessary patience and are willing to put in the time to find them.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the 67 CAM Lincoln...the only one missing from my Birth Year Set.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭

Congratulations!!!

References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. I should submit more. For some reason I think of the lyrics " you can't always get what you want , but if you try sometime, you just might find, you get what you need ". Way to keep plugging away, Don. It's an inspiration to have met you and watched your passion flourish in the hobby, through the years. And you're a very cool guy. You keep proving many things to me.

Like how many gems are still hidden away in Proof and Mint sets.

• Options

If you needed more proof that you "Can't always get what you want..." I provide the following:

PCGS says it's not a cameo, PR67, I can agree with this one:

PCGS says it's not a cameo, PR66 (Former ANACS 68 CAM):

PCGS says it's not a DCAM, I can also agree with this one, PR66 CAM:

PCGS says it's not a DCAM, PR67 CAM:

PCGS says it's not a cameo, PR66 RD, I can also agree with this one:

PCGS says it's not a DCAM, SP66 CAM:

Just a little bit more "tuition" I suppose.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Putting together a collection such as yours primarily from raw proif and SMS sets is hard to do, takes time and effort, gives one the thrill of the hunt and is fun.

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,716 ✭✭✭✭✭

Needless to say you have a great eye.
    WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on your set
    I'm happy to have one or two of your culls in my set. :#

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations.... you are moving up..... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations!

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on making the top 10 with your Registry set. :+1::+1:

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    unclebobunclebob Posts: 433 ✭✭✭

Enjoyed those coins and this thread

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file