Home Precious Metals

WWYD??

I am thinking about selling my 5 1/10th oz gold pieces and buying silver with the proceeds.. from a pure "this makes the most sense" what would you do?

Comments

• mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

I've seen on some other forums people doing this same exact thing.

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

The ultimate question...only you can decide :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

are they AGE or other coin

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• BcookieBcookie Posts: 57 ✭✭

3 are AGE, 1 is a Perth Pearl Harbor, and 1 is a Maple Leaf

• rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

"This make the most sense" - is a recipe for disaster...

keceph `anah
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you already own gold keep it or sell it for dollars don't trade one metal for another .

• hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why not trade them for silver on the BST?

• creekdaltoncreekdalton Posts: 49 ✭✭✭

Unless you have to sell the gold, to get funds for the silver, I would keep the gold and start buying silver. Silver is much more affordable and easier to come by, for most, than the gold.

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

Makes no sense to me.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• AmazonXAmazonX Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

Personally, I would keep the gold and just start buying silver.

• ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭

Hold and buy Silver

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle

well, I listed them on ebay for $685.. I will leave them there for a few days..

• dm679864dm679864 Posts: 213 ✭✭

@creekdalton said:
    Unless you have to sell the gold, to get funds for the silver, I would keep the gold and start buying silver. Silver is much more affordable and easier to come by, for most, than the gold.

Yup, and honestly, silver is much easier to sell if needed!

Good deals with KollectorKing, ChrisRx, Tookybandit, LukeMarshall, and Ajaan! On cointalk, Histman, Sakata, Blisskr, and a few others!

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

Compare ebay after fees and costs to selling to a known gold coin online presence.

What I'd do is ask for more info.

Why are you looking to sell the gold?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

@MsMorrisine said:
    Compare ebay after fees and costs to selling to a known gold coin online presence.

The wife is more impressed with quantity of silver vs gold for the price..

• dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rawteam1 said:
    "This make the most sense" - is a recipe for disaster...

So is "this time it's different."

But...but...what if it IS?? :*

• rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

@Bcookie said:

@MsMorrisine said:

You both should seek some type of financial/debt counseling and or classes/seminars ASAP...

keceph `anah

@Bcookie said:

@MsMorrisine said:

That would scare the crap out of me

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a financial reason.

Find a beat silver eagle for her to have and hold.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bcookie said:

@MsMorrisine said:

Sweet!! That means more $$$ to spend on yourself at Christmas. A nice 3oz choker for her and a Remington for you.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• SangoSango Posts: 177 ✭✭✭

I would not trade gold for silver, but I have endless amounts of the white stuff, I'm trying to add to the yellow side.

I like the advice above, never swap a metal for a metal, just add silver as you go. Silver adds up quick, where it will take a while to get your gold back.

• Geckster109Geckster109 Posts: 231 ✭✭✭

@Bcookie said:

The "quantity" novelty wears off quickly when you begin to approach 1,000 ounces. If I had to carry all my silver right now, i'd get about a mile or so down the road before dropping dead of a heart attack. If I had to carry all of my gold right now, I could do so in the front pocket of my pants......and the gold is actually worth a bit more to boot!

Hold the gold...put it on a shelf....and focus on silver from this point forward. Trading your 1/2 oz of gold for a kilo of silver right now is not a significant enough swap to worry about. Movement in the current ratio is not going to help or hurt you in any meaningful way with such a small amount of metal. Just start stacking silver until you feel the "curse of the bulk".

@Geckster109 said:

@Bcookie said:

The "quantity" novelty wears off quickly when you begin to approach 1,000 ounces. If I had to carry all my silver right now, i'd get about a mile or so down the road before dropping dead of a heart attack. If I had to carry all of my gold right now, I could do so in the front pocket of my pants......and the gold is actually worth a bit more to boot!

Hold the gold...put it on a shelf....and focus on silver from this point forward. Trading your 1/2 oz of gold for a kilo of silver right now is not a significant enough swap to worry about. Movement in the current ratio is not going to help or hurt you in any meaningful way with such a small amount of metal. Just start stacking silver until you feel the "curse of the bulk".

This idea doesn't get pointed out very often here but secret stashes of PM's are a great way to hide money from future divorce lawyers. Gold because of its high value to mass ratio is better than silver. Ask any coin dealer , most of which have been married at least half a dozen times :D

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hold the gold... just buy silver...and now it is cheap.... if you just buy rounds.... Cheers, RickO

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd hold the gold and just buy more silver. Good advice here. :)