Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What denomination was your first Seated Liberty coin?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 30, 2017 3:28PM in U.S. Coin Forum

The Seated Liberty is the most recent US circulation design that wasn't widespread when I was first introduced to coins so I'm curious how we all picked up our first coin with this design.

What denomination was your first Seated Liberty coin?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trade dollar

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2017 11:26AM
    Dime

Mine was an 1838 Large Stars Dime. It was a gift from my grandmother for Christmas. I remember it very well, I was 12 and it's what really got me interested in coins. :)

My second and third were both quarters I bought from a pawn shop, an 1876-CC and 1877, both bought at the same age of 12.

• Options
    VoyageurVoyageur Posts: 351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2017 11:35AM
    Half Dollar

Don't still have that first one, but here is my current favorite Liberty Seated Half Dollar,...

Dan Fan
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dime

Dime, purchased in the 1970's for $7, which I still have.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Half Dime

1854 With arrows half dime in VF.

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2, 2017 2:40PM
    Quarter

1843-0 Quarter VG damaged.

First seated coin I ever bought was an 1843-0 25c in VG from Edgar's of Vienna, WV for $15....circa 1974 Coin World display ad. The fact that the obv fields had 2 huge/deep X's didn't seem to bother me for this scarcer date.....lol. Though a few years later I realized I had bought a lemon and would "never" get my money back on it. I ran across that coin again in 2009. I had thought it was lost. Turned out it was the rarer "large" O variety. What were the odds? At the next FUN show I sold it for $35. Wow, made a profit after 35 years? It was probably a mistake to sell it knowing it was my "first." I still retain the original dealer's invoice though. The coin is instantly recognizable by the double "X's" and large O mint mark.

Ironically, I ran across another one of these in perfect PO1 in my local dealer's junk silver box around 2012....paid $8....and no doubt worth more than the original one....both large "O's." Things have a funny way of working out.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    Half Dime

It might not surprise anyone here that my first Liberty Seated coin purchase was a half dime (1853 W/A in VF), as was my 2000th (1842 V4).

They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    TitusFlaviusTitusFlavius Posts: 319 ✭✭✭

For me, everything but the dollar. My grandma mostly collected 20th century coins, but did have 19th century type set started. Also, where's the love for the 20 cent piece?

"Render therfore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." Matthew 22: 21
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Half Dime

Half dime. It looked better when I was kid, but I cleaned it, and stored in a bad envelope. As a kid I couldn't get over the fact that it was minted not 101 years before I was born by 111 years!

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dollar

@MrHalfDime said:
    Also, where's the love for the 20 cent piece?

D'oh! Forgot about that one.

Can't figure out how to edit the poll like we could on the old forums. Is there a way? If not, use the last choice for the 20 cent since no one has used that yet.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Half Dime

Also, where's the love for the 20 cent piece?

I doubt that very many collectors started with a Twenty Cent Piece. I bought my first one in 1963 on a Christmas trip to New York City with my parents, four years after I started to collect coins. It was my first trip to a professional coin dealer, Gimbels in New York. The coin was an 1875-P and was graded "Fine." It would grade VF-20 today. I traded it for a higher grade one a couple years later. The price then was $20.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quarter

Quarter. 1877.
    My old man brought it home in the 1950's from change.
    It was so worn that for years, I thought the image was a ...BELL.

Had it in my kid's crap until "whatever" happened to it.

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my case, I can't answer with just one denomination. My first Seated Liberty's chose me, I didn't choose them. I inherited some coins from my grandfather when I was 13. They included an 1853 half dime, 1854 and 1855-O half dollars, and 1852-O, 1853, 1872-CC (counterfeit), 1890 and 1891 dimes.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dollar

Trade Dollar.... I assume that counts, since Ms. Liberty is seated..... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Half Dime

half dime, 1847 repunched date, bought raw off ebay 2004, AU details........

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Half Dollar

Raw 1853 Arrow & Rays half that I found at an out-of-state coin shop while traveling for work.

• Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1, 2017 7:16AM
    Half Dollar

PCGS PR63

I sold it last year. Boo Hoo.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Half Dime

1861/0 H10C one of my first favorable RAW purchases. Long since sold.

photo 0HalfDimeOBV.jpg
    photo 1861over0HalfDimedate.png
    photo 0HalfDimeREV.jpg

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Half Dollar

I bought two Seated halves, an 1857 in VF+ and an 1862-S in VG, at an outdoor flea market in Dickson City, PA when I was 17-18 years old (ca. 1991). I sold them a couple years later for unknown reasons. I think I broke even on both.

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dime

I bought 3 G/VG seated dimes at a flea market for $14. I still have two of the three buried somwhere.

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine was an 1875-S 20 cent

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1, 2017 8:25PM
    Half Dollar

It was a raw 1854 O with arrows at date that was graded XF but would be a Low grade AU by today's standards. It was likely cleaned but I didn't care. I really admired it's look. Very, very boldly detailed.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Dime

An 1875 Dime. I bought it at "The Barber" in downtown Concord MA. He was a Barber, and bought and sold scrap silver on the side. Sometimes he would have well worn barbers in the scrap. Imagine my surprise finding an XF seated coin in the mix. This was mid 1970s, before the Hunt brothers run up. I believe I had to pay 10x face for that one.

Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was 10, it was an 1875 seated half dollar that was nearly slick.
    Still, I loved it like it was perfect.
    It was years before I ever saw one with full details, was that ever a treat to the eyes.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dime

I can't remember what date it was, but it was a Dime.

• Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭
    Dime

1888 Holded Dime, in about VF

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quarter

XF 1857 quarter purchased sometime in 1961.

• Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dime

I think it was a dime, but possibly a Half Dollar. Not sure.

I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    DDRDDR Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dollar

1877 Trade Dollar. Acquired a lot of Trade Dollars, chopmarked and not, before purchasing a Seated Dollar. The first Seated Dollar I ever purchased was an 1873-CC. Talk about starting off with a bang!

• Options
    Bob1951Bob1951 Posts: 268 ✭✭
    Half Dollar

I don't really remember, so I voted for a half dollar since that is the first liberty seated series that I collected.

• Options
    KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Half Dollar

AU 1871 Half Dollar.

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 775 ✭✭✭
    Half Dollar

Some Halves from a local dealer....half of them later found to be cleaned and/or re-toned. Gerry fortin informed me of the error of my ways....

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dollar

VF 1844 Dollar.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    TireKickerTireKicker Posts: 870 ✭✭
    edited May 2, 2017 8:26PM
    Half Dollar

An 1877 half dollar received in a group of coins several years ago.

All the best,

Rob

Successful Trades with: Coincast, MICHAELDIXON

Successful Purchases from: Manorcourtman, Meltdown
  • Options
    lclugzalclugza Posts: 568 ✭✭
    edited May 3, 2017 12:04PM

My first _may have been _a silver dime, but it was so worn I'm not even sure what coin type it was! It was found in circulation in the 50's or 60's, I guess. Later I got an 1866s half dollar in EF after reading a story about "forgotten Liberty Seated halves" in some coin magazine.

image"Darkside" gold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file