Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Missing Clad Layer Statehood Quarter Collection Idea

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 29, 2017 10:38PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Has anyone thought of, or is, putting together a collection of statehood quarters all missing the reverse clad layer?

I think this could be a pretty interesting collection. What do you think?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sure there are multuple people trying to put this set together. It is absolutely possible to do.

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think a set like that would look fantastic, especially if they're all housed together in something like a Capital Holder.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are they that common?? I have not seen any SHQ's in circulation without the clad layer....Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    Are they that common?? I have not seen any SHQ's in circulation without the clad layer....Cheers, RickO

They are reasonably common on the bay. You may not be able to put together a collection immediately but some patience and fun could pay off in a complete collection.

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

that is a great idea,
    It is not for me , but should keep some in game

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

There were probably about a dozen serious
    collectors who started such sets in 1999.

Some only collected Reverse Clad Layer Missing
    State Quarters, (& one Obv. for show), but some
    also wanted one each Obv. & Rev. Missing for
    all States.....

Most of those semi-complete, or the very few
    complete sets have been sold over the past
    6-8 years or so - but one or two are still intact,
    as far as I know.

Prices are down anywhere from 35%-50% for most,
    except the rarest Rev. States, and supply is ample,
    so it might be a good time to do a set at current levels.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought about a set like that and I have probably around 10 states, mostly missing the obverse tho.

A set that I think would be cool and little more interesting would be to get a MAJOR mint error from each of the 50 states (all different types of errors)

• Options
    edited May 7, 2017 4:23PM

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    I thought about a set like that and I have probably around 10 states, mostly missing the obverse tho.

A set that I think would be cool and little more interesting would be to get a MAJOR mint error from each of the 50 states (all different types of errors)

I think collecting the reverse is nice because the designs are different.

I think an error per state would be interesting as well, but I'd probably prefer to have similar errors. What do you consider a major mint error?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the information Fred. I had no idea they were that common. I have never seen one in commerce... I do recall a picture, I think on this forum, of one.....Seems like it would be quite a project. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never seen one.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

that would be an awesome set to put together if possible. i havent given that much thought until now

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a collecting buddy who was working on a set like this a while back, not sure how far he got on it.

• Options

I agree with what Fred Weinberg said, and also it is a good time to build a collection since price on them are down.

Some of the states are super rare, being nearly unique, but all are obtainable if you have a lot of patience. Probably half of them are easy, 1/4 are scarce, with the remaining 1/4 being either very difficult to nearly impossible to find.

www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.
  • Options
    Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a fun set to put together.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file