Home U.S. Coin Forum

I just realized that I have owned FOUR significant milestone coins

tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 29, 2017 10:53PM in U.S. Coin Forum

The first coin to break the $100k barrier (Hawaii 5-O 1913 nickel), the first coin to break the $1,000 barrier and the coin that SHOULD* have been the first to break the $1M barrier (Dexter 1804$1 at $990k), the first coin to actually break that barrier (Eliasberg 1913 nickel at $1.485M) and of course the only coin to break the $10M barrier (Carter Specimen 1794$1). Kinda cool, all and all.

*(I can guarantee you that if I was doing the bidding, the Dexter coin would have been the first over that $1M mark. Think of all the notoriety that it lost out on over $10k....)

Comments

• SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

You must be Latin, you say I I I a lot.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2017 4:49PM

Are you looking for any more milestones :)

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing wrong with having some self esteem, especially when deserved. Congrats!!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

I both hate you and love you at the same time Bruce. You suck and keep up the unique awesomeness that is The TDN!

The more you VAM..
  • BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2017 4:59PM

I don't think it's lost any notoriety. It is still a pretty note worthy coin regardless of what mile stone it reached price wise. Imo

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2017 10:54PM

Sorry to intrude on your important discussions, BigMark - just thought it interesting that I'd owned the $1k coin, the $100k coin, the $1M coin and the $10M coin. Makes me wonder what the $10k coin is....

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2017 5:07PM

----It is this...if you have your checkbook handy ;)

@tradedollarnut said:
    Sorry to intrude on your important discussions, BigMark - just thought it interesting that I'd owned the $100k coin, the $1M coin and the $10M coin. Makes me wonder what the $10k coin is....

...Or when the $100M coin will happen

The more you VAM..
    edited April 29, 2017 5:05PM

Why did they mess with the smilies??

• caddyshackcaddyshack Posts: 115 ✭✭

hey big shot-and do you know actually called out the $1 million dollar bid on the 1913 5C at Eliasberg?

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CascadeChris said:

@tradedollarnut said:
    Sorry to intrude on your important discussions, BigMark - just thought it interesting that I'd owned the $100k coin, the $1M coin and the $10M coin. Makes me wonder what the $10k coin is....

Paintings have crossed $100M so it could happen.

@Zoins said:

@CascadeChris said:

@tradedollarnut said:

I'm sure it will happen. The question is when. Paintings are a different animal. The very wealthy use them as a tool to store their money. Coins haven't really caught on with them in that regard yet. I'm sure Bruce and most like him do it more for the love of the coins as opposed to using it primarily as a vehicle to store their wealth.

The more you VAM..
    edited April 29, 2017 5:32PM

$100,000,000 coin sale will occur. Not so much a commentary on collector interest but rather monetary policy.

• caddyshackcaddyshack Posts: 115 ✭✭

okay, no cares. it was david hall you yelled out $1 million for the coin to break the barrier

potential for the first $100 million dollar item-king of siam set, or J-1776. of course a 33 $20 in MS67 would do the trick too

our hobby is too small right now to attract big money like that.

tdn's 1794 $1-$50 million in 20-25 years.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2017 6:10PM

@CascadeChris said:

@Zoins said:

@CascadeChris said:

@tradedollarnut said:

I'm sure it will happen. The question is when. Paintings are a different animal. The very wealthy use them as a tool to store their money. Coins haven't really caught on with them in that regard yet. I'm sure Bruce and most like him do it more for the love of the coins as opposed to using it primarily as a vehicle to store their wealth.

Even though he is decidedly well off, Bruce HAS to be thinking 'investment' when considering the sheer amount that he puts into his coin purchases.

However, I have absolutely NO DOUBT that he loves, appreciates and respects the 'hobby', regardless.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I could I would. But I can't so I don't. That's four, count 'em four, "I's", BIGMARK. And I'm not Latin. And sour grapes taste bad. Take it to the bank....BIGMARK.

• RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:

"I" think "I'd" find that pretty interesting too if "I" had accomplished that. Well done TDN! In keeping with your question, "I" would be interested to know the 2017 inflation adjusted dollar cost of that first $10k coin.

Regardless of the snipes you take from the jealous crowd, "I" personally thoroughly enjoy your posts and value your significant role in the hobby "I" love. "I" always welcome your thoughts on your collection or numismatics in general and appreciate you sharing them here. Congrats!

It was a joke and I left out the Aye Yi YI Yi, RELAX coin nerds!

Wheee wheeee wheeee.....

• OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

We should be thankful that Bruce shares his numismatic experience with us on this forum. I would not be a competitor with Bruce in an auction. I fully enjoy my numismatic passion at a much lower investment value, but continue to invest more into R&D in my business. But the R&D is not as much fun as are the coins.

But understand, Bruce is in the coin business.

OINK

@SoCalBigMark said:
    It was a joke and I left out the Aye Yi YI Yi, RELAX coin nerds!

From one nerd to another nerd.....GET LOST!
    SEMPER FI

edited April 29, 2017 8:59PM

BIGMARK! NEWSFLASH!! The 1st Cavalry Division of the United States Army has a very long and distinguished history. I'm very grateful that it is there to protect us. But....they are not part of the U.S. MARINE CORPS. They are good and brave people. They're just not Marines. They can't help it. God Bless them all!
    SEMPER FI

• carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

@afford said:
    You somehow accidentally left out : $1, $10, $100, $1000 for some odd reason?

If you think about it, it is possible that your $10M coin and the first coin to sell for $1 (face value) are one and the same.

• jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting. What do you all think it would take to fill a Dancso 7070 with the highest graded coins know, assuming you made a slot for the 1794 TDN?

I'm wondering of all "THE" top coins known, what would it resonably cost to own them all?

Or better yet, how many coins are out there worth over $1M, $2M, $5M, $10M

edited April 29, 2017 10:19PM
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is pretty interesting, I didn't know that existed. Thanks for the link.

I can say that I didn't know it existed because it's just a tad out of my current coin budget

• 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

@afford said:
    I guess I am the only one who feels like this thread is a bit tooting one's horn. Monied seems to get attention here, or should I say monied seems to impress. Too bad, I am more into humble. But maybe I got it wrong.

...don't go holding out on us ;)

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@afford said:
    I guess I am the only one who feels like this thread is a bit tooting one's horn. Monied seems to get attention here, or should I say monied seems to impress. Too bad, I am more into humble. But maybe I got it wrong.

I think most here toot their own horn when they can, otherwise why be on a public forum posting about yhour collections. It's just not as noticeable when our high end coins are at four digits versus TDNs eight digits. I personally enjoy reading about these high end treasures and he has a right to be proud of his accomplishments like anyone else does with theirs. Don't let jealousy take away from the enjoyment of the story.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bet you don't have limo parking problems. Congrats.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

Geez, for a minute I was quite sure I was reading the OFR until I went to click on unread posts and couldn't find it. Oh well, I don't post over there but let me add "350" :p

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations TDN.... Milestones worth noting...and very special coins as well. Cheers, RickO

• PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

RE:
    Congratulations TDN.... Milestones worth noting...and very special coins as well.

+1

• UnclePennyBagsUnclePennyBags Posts: 327 ✭✭✭

@afford said:

As a newer guy here that spends a fraction of what most here spend on coins, I disagree. I enjoy coins... Whether they be beat up and holes shot through them or a 200 year old coin that looks like it was made yesterday. While I can't imagine in my wildest dreams of spending 10 million on a coin no matter where my bank account balance sits, I enjoy hearing the passion of a collector that did!

Successful trades.... MichaelDixon,

• TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PQueue said:
    RE:
    Congratulations TDN.... Milestones worth noting...and very special coins as well.

+1

+2....and more to come, I hope.

Tom

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2017 6:41AM

@afford said:

Showcasing your coins and your numismatic accomplishments is a large part of this forum. Doesn't matter if they are $25 coins or $1,000,000 coins - a beautiful coin is something to be proud of. I for one am honored to have some of the world's most elite collectors be a part of a group that I am a part of. When it comes to love of the hobby TD is one of us. The fact that he has a bigger budget is irrelevant.

Shame that he can't share his 1933 gold with us.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

Is it also Ego, Afford, that the TDN Specimen 1794 Dollar has spent more time securely displayed at locations worldwide to been seen by every kid that one day wants to own it....than huddled up for 50 years in a dim and cavernous lockbox?

It should also be added by this ole boys club member that TDN earned his fortune by hard work and limitless drive to enable him to obtain these gems. He is more of a Pittman as a collector than a Col. Green who could buy Inverted Jenny Stamps by the sheet and 1796 quarters by the cupful.

• TopdollarpaidTopdollarpaid Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

That's a real accomplishment.

You could say everything you touch turns to GOLD

Next threshold 15 Million

YOU can do it!

Randy Conway

Www.killermarbles.com

Www.suncitycoin.com
  • 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2017 10:12AM

@tradedollarnut said:
    Yes....I have an ego, afford. I'm sorry you didn't find the thread interesting. The next time you start an uninteresting thread I will be sure to post such.

...it seems like his Alt doesn't have as much moola as the "Realone" did...maybe one day he can "Afford" one of the 4...sour grapes for sure...keep moving ;)

• OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats TDN, back around 2000/2001 at Long Beach the 1913 Eliasberg Nickel was the Star of the Show and on the last day I was about to leave but I went back to the horseshoe podium where it was displayed and as everyone was packing up, I sat and admired the nickel for about 20 minutes and I was the only one up there, so I like to think that the 1913 Eliasberg Liberty was MINE, MINE, MINE :smiley: for a brief twenty minutes

Steve

Promote the Hobby

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file