Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How much does the dealer normally charge if I trade in coins of same value?

TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 29, 2017 4:36AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Assuming if I trade in coin value at $80 each in exchange of dealer's other coin of same value per coin? Thanks again.

Comments

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurboSnail said:
    Assuming if I trade in coin value at $80 each in exchange of dealer's other coin of same value per coin? Thanks again.

How did you value your coin at $80 and what types of coins are you trading?

Assuming the dealer has a coin with an $80 price tag on it and your coin is also worth $80 retail to the dealer then I'd guesstimate around $20 + your coin. There are so many variables that it could be anything from a straight up trade to you going $60 + your coin. Without knowing how you, and your dealer, value the pieces there is no one answer.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Without specifics and great pictures, this question cannot be answered with any degree of accuracy. Not to mention the personal situation of the dealer (such as mentioned above)...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

As others mentioned it really depends on both the coin and the dealer. A while back I wanted to trade 5 of my 1/10 gold eagles for a dealer's 1/2 oz gold eagle. Usually the premium is higher for the 1/10 oz so I thought the dealer would be happy to do a straight trade...nope...he quoted spot for my 1/10 Eagles and around $60 over for his 1/2 oz (he wanted me to pay $60 extra for his, and it wasn't a rarer date)...I haven't been back to that dealer's shop.

If the dealer doesn't want your trade you may do better just selling your coin on the bst or ebay and then using the funds to purchase what you want.

• Options

Thanks guys. After reading your suggestion and input, I do believe it would be my best interest to sell online instead of trade in. 15% fee plus cost of shipping will always be lower than 40% margin( -20% of my coin value & -20% off dealer's full retail price if offer in cash)

• Options

Thanks guys. After reading your suggestion and input, I do believe it would be my best interest to sell online instead of trade in. 15% fee plus cost of shipping will always be lower than 40% margin( -20% of my coin value & -20% off dealer's full retail price if offer in cash)

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2017 8:45AM

I had this happen yesterday at a show. A customer wanted trade in his coin as part of a deal (his coin plus cash). He offered it to me at CDN bid (PCGS 65 Buffalo - common date) which I accepted.

I am willing to take trade in of material at CDN Bid assuming I can use it for inventory. At a show I may discount coins a bit below what I have to mark them up for eBay so somebody trying to get above bid on a trade in at a show will make things more complex, especially if what I am selling him had been discounted significantly below MV (TPG price guide, CW, NN).

If somebody wants above bid on a trade in I have to look at how it affects the overall deal.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

As little as he thinks he can get away with.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    As little as he thinks he can get away with.

+100

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file