Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm certainly no copper expert but assuming it's real it's artificially colored and the coin is spotted.

• TequilaDaveTequilaDave Posts: 271 ✭✭✭

Something about that coin sets the red flags off in my head. Spidey senses say "stay away"...

• MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭

Either from a garage in Ping Pang Pu, or treated with something like diluted muriatic acid

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

A raw fully red cent from 1806? Really, I doubt the authenticity. If it is real (I'm not an expert on these) then it has been really messed with and that copper dip commercial comes to mind.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2017 6:12PM

The "Too Good To Be True" alarm went off.

Uncirculated, full red 1/2 cent, uncertified, and a 99 cent starting bid? The seller is either stupid, or has balls of steel.

Added: (I didn't say it...but with all that, I assume it's a counterfeit).

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • basetsbbasetsb Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭

Personally, I would not buy this coin raw, too easy for it to come back graded as details.

@basetsb_coins on Instagram

• PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭

Fake

"It is what it is."
  • dm679864dm679864 Posts: 213 ✭✭

Well someones about to lose $430...

Good deals with KollectorKing, ChrisRx, Tookybandit, LukeMarshall, and Ajaan! On cointalk, Histman, Sakata, Blisskr, and a few others!

• UnclePennyBagsUnclePennyBags Posts: 327 ✭✭✭

I don't like it.... ear lobes, nose, lips ...all don't look enough detail to them

Successful trades.... MichaelDixon,

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd be very suspicious....details don't look right to me and it is way too red for a 211 year old coin.

Run Forrest RUN!!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• UnclePennyBagsUnclePennyBags Posts: 327 ✭✭✭

Successful trades.... MichaelDixon,

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first thought was genuine, AU details dipped to h3ll to make it red, which resulted in
    light surface pitting.

That website that MacCrimmon posted is scary....

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

It needs numbers stamped in it. :D

• DancingFireDancingFire Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2017 8:19PM

@Walkerfan said:
    I'd be very suspicious....details don't look right to me and it is way too red for a 211 year old coin.

Run Forrest RUN!!

Yup, I don't believe in (full red) 200 + yr. old copper either. nothing on the coin say I am genuine .. :D

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2017 11:30AM

@PCcoins said:
    Fake

This is the type of post that adds nothing to a thread! Now. would you care to elaborate? Also, a post as: "The mouth is wrong or the ear does not look right" is nonsense also without posting a comparison image to make your case as I for one don't know what the mouth or ear on a genuine coin looks like without seeing an image.

This particular coin is whizzed. It takes one heck of an authentication expert to authenticate a whizzed coin from an image on Ebay.

PS This is a different die than the counterfeit for sale in the post above.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe that coin is a fake... the facial features and the bust are not right when compared to an authentic coin...also the head orientation appears to lean to the right more than it should. Cheers, RickO

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first impression was whizzed, also.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is too much wear on the coin for it to be that RD. Upper branches of the wreath on the reverse have wear, and their is quite a bit of wear in the hair, yet, the same color patina. Something was done to this coin, and it's not good. I don't know the diagnostics to look for on this coin re whether or not it is a fake. But come on, a RD 200 year old coin that's raw? Please.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first impression was right along w' the cap'n

WHIZZZZZZZZZ job

• As stated already, too much wear to be as Red as it shows. Raw Red coin from 1806 says stay away. If it is whizzed, someone did a very nice job. Too many red flags for a potentially coin to be worth up to $3,500.00 if small 6 and stemless.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file