Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭✭

Very good question, I would like to understand this also.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

If memory serves, mint reports showed that many SEs minted in Philly that year, and a code on the boxes was used to identify which ones came from there.

• Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think there was a thread on this, thru the FOIA a coin world (or other publication) article showed a limited number of ASEs were struck at Philly.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still do not see the attraction for these coins....no mint mark... just a cert from a shipping label... Nope, just can't get my collector interest revved up... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 981 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2017 9:16PM

I cant even understand why some much attention is placed on grading a bullion coin anyway. Millions of these minted. All of them uncirculated and proof. So a few are exceptionally minted, it's still just a bullion coin. To each his own I suppose.

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am surprised they are selling for so much. I wouldn't pay the premium for this coin but that just me..Happy collecting!

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

Haha I have no interest in this particular silver eagle what so ever. I don't understand the attraction. But that's just me. I have a few silver eagles that I have selected to own. This one here is a zero.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2017 1:36PM

COIN WORLD article 4/12/2017: Grading services certifying American Eagle silver bullion coins from multiple Mints

The “key” issue from the 2014 to 2017 period is the 2015 coin struck at the Philadelphia Mint, with a mintage of 79,640 pieces, a tiny fraction of the total in comparison to the nearly 47 million pieces struck at the West Point Mint (none were struck for 2015 at the San Francisco Mint).

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could see value if there is a P slot to fill in a registry set

• Options

Is there a difference on the actual coin itself? In other words, are they the same coin as struck for bullion at West Point only struck in a difference facility?

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope absolutely identical. All the dies are made in the same place. Same process.

But because of the number written on the box it can be proven that they're one of the smaller number minted in Philly.

The audience is the same people buying "First Strike" and other nonsese labels.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like several people see value in this piece.

I see it at a $20 piece of bullion.

To each, his own.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    earlycoinsearlycoins Posts: 282 ✭✭✭

Six is rare.

Three is Really rare.

Seventy-nine thousand...

Not so much.

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a 2015 in my set. Is it a "P" mint I can't prove it is and no one can prove it's not.!

And I have no intention to buy one, Thank you

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options

Thanks everyone!

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another seller is asking for $6000+ for ms 70. This is one expensive shipping label/sticker. The word "philly" printed from a regular printer is worth 5 oz of gold. lol

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

Without a mint mark a coin could have been struck anywhere.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,487 ✭✭✭✭

@Sandman70gt said:
    I cant even understand why some much attention is placed on grading a bullion coin anyway. Millions of these minted. All of them uncirculated and proof. So a few are exceptionally minted, it's still just a bullion coin. To each his own I suppose.

Exactly.

MILLIONS are minted and every possible effort is made to create a market which, in this case, is the "SLAB/LABEL Market".

If folks want to chase these farts in the wind for some plausible explanation for paying $611 for a common 1 Ounce Bullion Silver Coin then its their money to blow and the folks which dream up this marketing stuff know it.

How was it put many years ago? There's a sucker born every minute!

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

Some people just have too much free cash on hand....what a waste

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

People pay big premiums for the 1861-O half dollar which was made under the auspices of the Confederate States but is otherwise just a relatively common seated half

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nap said:
    People pay big premiums for the 1861-O half dollar which was made under the auspices of the Confederate States but is otherwise just a relatively common seated half

There's a survival estimate of less than 100 pieces for the CSA obverse 1861-O half. The plastic fantastic linked above is identical to the other 47 million pieces with the exception of a label claiming it was minted in Philly along with ~80,000 others.

• Options
    coin4salecoin4sale Posts: 375 ✭✭✭

@Nap said:

true but at least the 61-o has die markers one can point to help make their case!

BT&C
  • Options
    basetsbbasetsb Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,909 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it had a mint mark, then maybe. But just that label? No way!

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

i don't think I would be interested, at all JMO :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file