Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

**** 1921 PEACE DOLLAR DIE VARITIES ****

Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

1921 Peace Dollars are one of my favorite type coins. It is the only year of the Peace Dollar series that was struck solely in high relief. Here is my collection.

Vam 1- Normal Die

Vam 1H - MS of Satin Proof Dies

Vam 1F - MS of Matte Proof Dies

Vam 3 - Ray Through "L"

Vam 1A- Die Break Reverse Right Field

Comments

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 20, 2017 2:14PM

Nice coins and nice pix of the VAMs.

... and I agree, the 1921 Peace dollar is a GREAT coin Type.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice indeed!

bob:)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. I just picked up a 1H recently and have my eye on another but I think the seller is asking too much for it. I'll shoot a PM your way about it once I get home.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sexy stash!

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice varieties and photos. Good that you are enjoying the hobby and history.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice examples and pics :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous pieces.. I've got some raw ones. I really think Peace dollars are underappreciated. It's nice to see someone else who enjoys them as much as I do, if not more lol.

• Options
    TonerGuyTonerGuy Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

Count me in as a lover of the 21 Peace $... took me almost 20 yrs but I finally found a colorfully toned example.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice Peace Dollars.... I like the Peace Dollars and have always wondered why they are not a more popular coin...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CyndieChildressCyndieChildress Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

Love those Peace dollars

• Options

@ricko said:
    Very nice Peace Dollars.... I like the Peace Dollars and have always wondered why they are not a more popular coin...Cheers, RickO

It might be that there are too many of them?

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:

@ricko said:

It might be that there are too many of them?

Too many? I would think that true of Morgans rather than Peace Dollars.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree... far more Morgans around.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Yep...far more Morgans, but spread over a long date/mint series, with a substantial proportion of circulated coins; plus, Morgans "look old."

Back when silver dollars were being released in quantity by the Treasury, to open an undated bag and find Peace dollars was just about the ultimate let-down. (The next closest was finding 1921 Morgans.)

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Back when silver dollars were being released in quantity by the Treasury, to open an undated bag and find Peace dollars was just about the ultimate let-down. (The next closest was finding 1921 Morgans.")

And the BEST thing was to open a bag and find those 1859-O and 1860-O seated dollars!

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    Yep...far more Morgans, but spread over a long date/mint series, with a substantial proportion of circulated coins; plus, Morgans "look old."

Back when silver dollars were being released in quantity by the Treasury, to open an undated bag and find Peace dollars was just about the ultimate let-down. (The next closest was finding 1921 Morgans.)

Which is why a lot of dealers used the cigarette trick and traded in bogus bags. Boy I would love to have experienced that era first hand.

The more you VAM..
  • Options

@koynekwest said:
    "Back when silver dollars were being released in quantity by the Treasury, to open an undated bag and find Peace dollars was just about the ultimate let-down. (The next closest was finding 1921 Morgans.")

And the BEST thing was to open a bag and find those 1859-O and 1860-O seated dollars!

Would be cool to experience that era first hand. I wonder what kind of Peace Dollars were discovered during that time? I know several 34-S were circulated because of the mintage compared to other Peace Dollars with less mintages.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice set of High Reliefs...I only want/need one...Vam 3 - Ray Through "L"

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

"I wonder what kind of Peace Dollars were discovered during that time?"
    Almost entirely 1922 and 1923. In one of the files I have a table of vault contents for Philadelphia.....bag after bag of these things.

• Options

@RogerB said:
    "I wonder what kind of Peace Dollars were discovered during that time?"
    Almost entirely 1922 and 1923. In one of the files I have a table of vault contents for Philadelphia.....bag after bag of these things.

I could now understand why people would be upset of common date Peace Dollars. When I was reading above I imagined bags of 1924s, 1927s, 1921, 1928, some 1934s. That makes total sense, Thanks for sharing your research! Love your Peace Dollar Guide Book.

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

I too love the 21 peaces!

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options

There were also an unexpected quantity of 1921s, but most were lightly circulated or bag scuffed. The reason was that in early 1922 the 1921s were pushed out to FRBs and commercial banks in response to anticipated demand. Expectations were not fulfilled, and many coins came back to the Mint and FRBs within a couple of months. Release of 1922-dated low relief pieces further depressed interest, and the 1921s sat in vaults.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:
    Nice set of High Reliefs...I only want/need one...Vam 3 - Ray Through "L"

That's the one to get if you only want one. It was the first Peace dollar to be found to have hand-retouched details on the die, and until the discovery of the 1922-S VAM 10 eleven years later, this time with re-engraved rays over the mountains, it was the only such Peace dollar. I have a 21 VAM 3 in AU55 that I picked raw a long time ago when I went on a mission to find one.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice set of varieties and pics to show the VAM's. :)

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can remember getting Silver Dollars from the bank back in the early 1960's and taking low grade 1921 Peace Dollars back to the bank.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file