• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those two are really cool!

• Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2017 3:43PM

1863-S SLH F-15 CCGS Slab photo 1863-S SLH Slab 6273.jpg
    1863-S SLH F-15 Rev. CCGS Slab photo 1863-S- SLH Rev. 6270.jpg

I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisnamztaken that is a coinworld "slab". (Not sonically sealed). You can put any crazy you want on the label for under $3.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

A nice early no-line NGC . . . . . you are acquiring nice Peace pieces at a fast rate!!!

Drunner

• Options
    newcollectnewcollect Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

I deciding what do with these-send off to PCGS or leave original. IMO The grades are good and may upgrade, the PL'S are definetley DPML' S. I know the pics are are crumby to say the least but i'm working on it.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    You need at least one of the old ANACS photo certificates, and preferably one of the Washington, D.C. style and one or more of the Colorado Springs styles.

Which would this one be??

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Batman23 said:

@CaptHenway said:
    You need at least one of the old ANACS photo certificates, and preferably one of the Washington, D.C. style and one or more of the Colorado Springs styles.

Which would this one be??

This is the original Colorado Springs style. It was used for authentic only certificates from the Fall of 1976 until we started grading on March 1, 1979, and for both authentic only and grading certificates until we changed the template some time in 1981.

On these somebody would type the information on the template, six templates to the page, and then the template page would be photographed on a copy stand. The large negative would be developed and cut into six strips. The strips would be matched up with the negatives of the coins, and four certificates would be printed on photograph stock at a time. These were then cut apart and rubber stamped on the back. Later certificates used a printed label that wrapped over the top of the photograph and down the back.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@CaptHenway keep your eyes peeled for any of these and let me know if you see any! That's cool!

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a later example.

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

For a "MS62" that's as clean as I've ever seen! :love:
    I love that early holder, too!

• Options

• Options
    TrazTraz Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭

I have a Hungarian gold coin that is so large they have no holder for it. PCGS certified it, but just returned it in a huge flip.

Not sure how the grading will hold with it, since it can get damaged easily.

• Options

@Traz said:
    I have a Hungarian gold coin that is so large they have no holder for it. PCGS certified it, but just returned it in a huge flip.

Lets see a picture of this sucker!

• Options
    TrazTraz Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭

@Peace_dollar88 said:

@Traz said:

Lets see a picture of this sucker!

Well for some reason it's not in my inventory, but I found the auction record:

https://coins.ha.com/itm/hungary/hungary-republic-gold-1000-forint-1968-bp-/a/3014-24369.s

Going to have to see why the cert is no longer in my inventory :(

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought/sold this one last year... was a pretty neat piece and a nice looking dollar too.

:+1:

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@illini420 said:
    I bought/sold this one last year... was a pretty neat piece and a nice looking dollar too.

Yes it is ... :)

It's one of three variants from this company.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options

@illini420 said:

I have never seen anything like that! That is awesome!

• Options
    AmazonXAmazonX Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 said:
    Found one of these yesterday.

This looks like a PCGS holder from an alternate timeline.

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey Peace_Dollar88, here's another from same company. I think the United States Numismatic Arts Foundation was trying to break the barrier on two levels....100 point grade system, along with the ridiculously meticulous slab that could qualify as MOAS....that's "mother of all slabs." >:)

• Options

@PocketArt said:
    Hey Peace_Dollar88, here's another from same company. I think the United States Numismatic Arts Foundation was trying to break the barrier on two levels....100 point grade system, along with the ridiculously meticulous slab that could qualify as MOAS....that's "mother of all slabs." >:)

LOL "MOAS" !!!!
    Those are awesome. I now need to find a Peace Dollar with that slab!

• Options

@CascadeChris said:
    I guess Conder's book should make an appearance in this thread too. Bought it last year in a Fred Lake auction and boy it wasn't cheap. But that was expected as they never come up for sale :smile:

Maybe it's time to pass it along though as I've moved on from odd slab collecting.

I have heard about that book! Awesome! I have never seen one for sale!

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Peace_dollar88 said:

@CascadeChris said:
    I guess Conder's book should make an appearance in this thread too. Bought it last year in a Fred Lake auction and boy it wasn't cheap. But that was expected as they never come up for sale :smile:

Maybe it's time to pass it along though as I've moved on from odd slab collecting.

I have heard about that book! Awesome! I have never seen one for sale!

Yup. They never come up for sale. I think the production run was less than 100 and the only reason this one did was because the original owner passed away.

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't believe illini420's and my USNAF style slab will be found in that book. Conder101 asked me for photos last year in another forum on the slab. They are rare!

• Options

@PocketArt That...is...so...cool. I would buy it in a heart beat if I saw it just for the cool factor alone.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AmazonX - I have several CompuGrade slabs and a sample, love them. They put the heavy in heavyweight plastic.

Best way to get Conder's book is to borrow it from the ANA library (If you are a member). It's woefully out of date.
    Also look at David Schwager's book - the 2nd edition is still in print.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options

@WaterSport said:
    Sorry, But I like my plastic large....

AWESOME SET!

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WaterSport said:
    Sorry, But I like my plastic large....

That is cool! I would have to use something like that for a wall hanger. Some very nice looking coins in there but that 1909-S stands out...

• Options

@U1chicago Hands down, you win.

• Options

@U1chicago That's an awesome piece of numismatic history.

• Options
    edited May 9, 2017 9:04PM

I have one to share. (And grade the bust half if you like)

Anyone have any information on this slab?

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2017 6:01AM

@AmazonX said:

That is interesting. There doesn't seem to be a name of a grading company. I have seen Morgans in similarly packaged holders but never a bust half. Cool find and hopefully someone knows more (perhaps start a separate thread asking about it?).

• Options

@AmazonX said:

Can't say I have ever seen anything quite like it. I love how it has a date stamp on it though!

• Options
    CyndieChildressCyndieChildress Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

@topstuf said:
    Here's an old OLD holder.

When it came in the shop, it was full of 5 Libs and 2.5 Indians.

I filled it with sovereigns so I could sell the coins.

Wow! What a cool find. That's so neat!

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

@U1chicago said:
    One of my favorites due to the combination of the photos and detailed description of the grade:

Wow. Can you imagine being a grader having to do those in depth grading analysis sheets by hand with legend symbols. Talk about a system that isn't built for volume.

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

wow those are Great

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

@U1chicago said:

@AmazonX said:

That is interesting. There doesn't seem to be a name of a grading company. I have seen Morgans in similarly packaged holders but never a bust half. Cool find and hopefully someone knows more (perhaps start a separate thread asking about it?).

Indeed! The "Double Secret Grading Company!"

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@CaptHenway said:

Indeed! The "Double Secret Grading Company!"

Maybe the CIA graded it?

• Options

• Options
    nk1nknk1nk Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭

Not old but a little odd I would say.

• Options

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am amazed at the holders above . . . . and intrigued.

Several of the above posters, and others who do not frequent these Boards, have been in contact with me recently about the renewed interest in holders and holder history. Yes . . I have a dog in the fight, as I 'specialize' in the Doilies, and have also enjoyed accumulating the 2.1/2.0, Regencies, and Hall flips, but I still think back to 5-6 years ago when I was bombarded with the well-meaning comments about how plastic was irrelevant and the coin was the focus.

Of course it is . . but there is a bit of room in the hobby for all of us. I may teach English, but I delight in history, and the history of the certified holder in our hobby is something we cannot ignore, as it has forever changed the landscape.

I hope you all enjoy the hobby as much as I do. For me, after completing the US sets of interest (Morgans, Indians, Lincolns, Buffs, etc.) . . . I searched for something that would pique my interest. It happened to be plastic . . . and it has not only afforded me a chance to explore a new realm, but has also given me tremendous contact with several other numismatists of similar ilk.

What a fun hobby . . .

Drunner

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's one not often seen ...

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options

Newest edition to my TPG holder endeavor. Numismatic Certification Institute photo grade circa 1988.

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't posted this nyet.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file