Home Precious Metals
Options

To flip or not to flip...that is the question!

Just got home from making a bullion purchase of AGE's. Bought a few halves and a few quarters and found some semi keys. Since im into metal and not digits, im wondering if I should flip the semi keys in order to effectively multiply my purchase. A couple of these apparently sell for 1.5x - 2x melt! I have no interest in dates, just net weight, but also realize that the more rare coins seem to outperform strictly bullion values over time. Anyone have any advice?

Comments

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Flip them before the knuckleheads come to their senses . Recommend that stupid book to them if they don't already have it . Roll the profits back into the stack B)

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2017 10:20AM

semi-keys? such as?

Unless it's a non-proof with a W mint mark they're all pretty much the same aren't they? Some years of the bullion coins have lower mintages than others but none are low enough for me to pay more premium.

By all means flip for a premium profit while you can.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't flip. Flipping is for flippers.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abcde12345 said:
    Don't flip. Flipping is for flippers.

Flipping is for us non believers in a shtf scenario, who don't mind making a profit.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Geckster109Geckster109 Posts: 231 ✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    semi-keys? such as?

Unless it's a non-proof with a W mint mark they're all pretty much the same aren't they? Some years of the bullion coins have lower mintages than others but none are low enough for me to pay more premium.

By all means flip for a premium profit while you can.

1991 UNC 1/4, 1989 UNC 1/4. Here is a quick group of links to completed sales of each of these. I did not search for highest price, just most recent and only for raw BU coins.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gorgeous-1991-American-Gold-Eagle-1-4-oz-9167-Pure-10-Coin-KR201-/142315815206?hash=item2122af0126:g:Ny0AAOSwhQhYywY1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-MCMLXXXIX-AMERICAN-GOLD-EAGLE-10-UNCIRCULATED-1-4-OUNCE-PURE-GOLD-/371909913998?hash=item56978eed8e:g:8SoAAOSwdGFY4bL6

That amounts to $1373 in which I have exactly $680 into them from this morning. Even when we deduct 15% for fees and shipping, that leaves a pretty tidy little profit of close to $500, which I can then recycle back into another 1/4 oz and still take the wife out for a very nice dinner!

• Options
    Geckster109Geckster109 Posts: 231 ✭✭✭

So basically, do I keep 2 semi key 1/4's in the pile, or do a minimum of legwork and turn those 2 quarters into 3 quarters plus $150 cash??? Seems to be a no brainer to me.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2017 11:45AM

The condition of those coins is fairly important. The 1/4 ozers don't generate as nice a premium as some of the half ozers, but those dates are respectable and you may realize a profit by flipping them, depending on how nice they might be.

The 1991 you linked is a nice coin for the date (which is in fact the key date although the 2006-W through 2008-W coins will eventually be considered better dates in the long run). I'm totally surprised that the 1989 sold for the price it did, considering the spots on the reverse.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Flipp'in flippers flip off the coin community establishment.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think 'flipping' is the wrong word here :smile:
    If you can sell something for a profit and reinvest the profit, makes sense to me :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

@abcde12345 said:
    Flipp'in flippers flip off the coin community establishment.

Lesson 101, whether you like it or not...your "flippers" are the market makers in coins. Most of us do not subscribe to "holding on until death," but eventually will sell their collection. If coins did not have a "flipping community," prices would remain constant.

• Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Getting an extra 1/4 oz seems like it would be worth the time and trouble.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seriously whenever you have a semi-key fish on the line give them a complimentary copy of this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Modern-Commemorative-Coins-Invest-Today-Profit-Tomorrow-/182428790517?hash=item2a799a6ef5:g:7aIAAOSwzrxUyYWF

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Take the profit and reinvest.... oh, and have a nice bottle of wine with your wife at dinner.... ;) That REALLY pays off..... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Take the profit and reinvest.... oh, and have a nice bottle of wine with your wife at dinner.... ;) That REALLY pays off..... :D Cheers, RickO

Great point RickO. How many stackers could avoid spousal confrontation or disapproval by sharing a win with their spouse.
    I made out like a bandit on 2011 SAE 25th anniv sets and I took a cut of it and bought my wife an artsy fartsy chair she wanted that to me was a complete waste of $ (unsaid of course ;)....never a peep after.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@carew4me...Both the purchase and the silence were very wise moves.... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    Seriously whenever you have a semi-key fish on the line give them a complimentary copy of this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Modern-Commemorative-Coins-Invest-Today-Profit-Tomorrow-/182428790517?hash=item2a799a6ef5:g:7aIAAOSwzrxUyYWF

That guy used to be a member here.

He would disapprove of everyone bashing platinum. If I remember correctly he thought the low mintage US Mint plats would be the keys down the road and worth quite a bit. I am also pretty sure he said it could take a long time, like 10 plus years.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

I thought Eric was still a member.

• Options
    SangoSango Posts: 177 ✭✭✭

Flip flip flipadelphia

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

These are free with any modern purchase...

keceph `anah