Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Whiffed on a potentially nice cherrypick - edge struck Lincoln cent

seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's been over a week since this auction closed, so I figure it's safe to post about it.

Link to auction

The seller claimed there were two blank planchets in this group, but the one on the far right has a distinctive saddle shape and what looks to me like strong evidence of an edge strike. I spotted this immediately and the auction sat on my watch list for nine days. On the day it ended I glanced quickly at the photo, assuming I had saved it because of the clips, and neglected to set a snipe. On the long chance that someone here won this lot, I'd love to see better pics of that coin.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

Comments

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seanq - I see what you're talking about with that
    'tab' on that folded planchet, but I don't
    think it's an edge strike, from what I can see.

Could be, but we'd need another set of photos to be sure.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first thought is that it would be smashed completely flat, but then I just see it shooting across the room as it's struck by the die.

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FredWeinberg said:
    Seanq - I see what you're talking about with that
    'tab' on that folded planchet, but I don't
    think it's an edge strike, from what I can see.

Could be, but we'd need another set of photos to be sure.

Fred,

I am not 100% convinced either, but I would have eagerly paid the $13 or so it could have taken to find out.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

Believe it or not, I saw this lot and thought the same thing as you @seanq ! Ultimately I decided not to bid, for three reasons:

1. I couldn't make out any design on the edge. Often times on edge strikes there isn't much design detail and it is often hard to make out when there is, but I still wanted to see somethin'!

2. The flat (struck) edges on either pole of the planchet are not parallel. This was probably something I made up to convince myself not to take a chance!

3. The lip of the flat edges are not large enough. When looking at genuine edge strikes, the strike seemed to give a large lip over each face of the planchet under the portion of the edge that came in contact with the dies.

It is a rather interesting coin though, and was probably worth taking the risk. Based on what I've been able to find online, it seems that zinc cent planchets are the most common host for this type of error.

• Options
    edited April 7, 2017 11:53AM

Dupe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice little lot of errors for $13..... if one is interested in errors... :) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's been a little while since I specialized in errors, but I think edge strike is a good possibility. The flat spots on the rim match up, and a vise job generally causes some additional damage where the pressure is applied.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I were interested in errors, I think that I would have taken a chance at $13.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't tell from the photos, but it has possibilities. Was probably worth a gamble bid.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@DNADave said:
    My first thought is that it would be smashed completely flat, but then I just see it shooting across the room as it's struck by the die.

Sometimes they do get smashed flat; it's called a fold-over strike. And I bet the planchets did shoot out of the striking chamber on occasion too! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file