Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Found my first silver W.Q. DDO...!

AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first pre-1964 Washington Quarter error. It's in great shape too. I'm ecstatic right now haha. It's a 1944 S DDO 25C FS-101.

So I pull the flip out and I'm like okay Liberty is solid, IGWT looks funky but when hasn't it, and toning on the date hid the doubling at first. The honest to god dead giveaway was how tall the first 4 stood up off the coin, and the second about half as much.

So I'm looking and the hair has a broken outline at the bottom, then I notice the band is even thicker so now I know something is up right? I follow the line at the head thinking the toning or lighting is hiding a continuous line. Then the lips show, so I figure okay now I've got something on my hands, and it's in great shape so let's see what the deal is...!!! So I tilt the coin and check out designer initials.. and WOW.. I am still beside myself haha I'm so happy!

(It was paired with a die having a die crack from the the M in UNUM to the top right of the eagle's wing which is fairly prominent and B in Pluribus to the O in OF.)

There's a die crack on the bottom left of the 1.

Comments

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2017 8:08PM

@Azurescens said:

no~~ I found more hair! Well at least it's not curly this time. :(
    Never mind, the bottom one is.

• Options
    boyernumismaticsboyernumismatics Posts: 473 ✭✭✭✭

That's what I call a cherry pick!

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on finding a DD. They however are common for 1944 due to some master dies being doubled. Great start on finding your first pre 64.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see it on the initials and it 'appears' to have a split serif on the E.... Not major, but there... Congratulations.. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats.! However, the motto does not appear to be doubled? Hope I'm wrong. :/

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2017 11:12AM

It's my camera and the toning. I figured someone would say something.

When you look at it, it's incredibly obvious. Same with the date. I didn't really notice these spots until I changed my light source. If it wasn't tarnished it would be bright as day. "Trust" is pretty extreme, especially the R, which extends past the original R. Bottom of the S, top of the first T, inside right of the U, outside of the D, inside and outside of the O on the right.. etc etc.

I even tried some blue lights and photo paper and sunlight, but the pictures still don't show. I mean, it looks fantastic to me, it stinks that I can't share it with you guys ÷(

• Options

This is marginally better. Yellow light off gray on white. All that matters to me is you can see it when in hand.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

Thanks guys.. if I could capture how to scale the light blues and purples coins get vs the yellow brown I'd be happy. It's starting to purple up so it just looks dirty in the pics which I really gotta find some way to fix. I've got a silver bar that's straight up lavender and looks dull gray / dirty.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 6, 2017 2:41PM

Still, I see no split serifs? Hmmm?

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2017 5:54PM

In my pictures I still see the major pickup points. The same crack in the 1, same hair, same initials, reworking around the face, etc etc. I've tried other forms of light and two cameras - and I'll say it again, but the toning is making it impossible for me to show you folks what I see. It either reflects too much or not enough. It's a shame too because it's gorgeous.

Unless you have some suggestion. I've done blue lights and yellow lights and white lights, all CFL and LED, and those were all reflected off both white and gray. Short of dipping it I don't know how else to capture it. I've tried macro settings doing the same thing on my phone, tablet, and two digital cameras and it just doesn't show. No matter what, what I see in hand doesn't come out digitally. The toning is just in a terrible place and it doesn't want to pick these up.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file