Home U.S. Coin Forum

Chopmarked 1872-S Seated Liberty Dollar*** Pictures Are Added*****

ToninginthebloodToningintheblood Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
edited April 6, 2017 10:05AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Has anyone ever owned, seen, or heard of a chop marked 1872-S Seated Liberty Dollar? I know it is the year prior to the first year of the Trade Dollar issue. I attempted to google to find out, but ran across very little helpful information.

Specializing in coins with "thin film interference" & "sulfur impregnated surfaces" due to hanging out with "old bags" and "wrappers"

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not seen one, but no reason they could not exist... Is it an auction you are questioning?? Cheers, RickO

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen other denominations with "chop marks", either authentic (back in the day) or recent (seemingly fraudulent).

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chopmarked seated dollars, in general, are quite rare. I've been searching for one for years. Chopmarked seated halves on the other hand are pretty common, which is odd because most chopped coins were crowns/dollars/8 reales.

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

With such a low mintage, and little reason to deliberately export them (unlike Trade dollars),
    I would think the odds are pretty slim, though not impossible. I don't think there are many remaining of these in any condition, for that matter.

I always like that coin, ever since my friend received one in a box of otherwise junk type coins from his grandmother back in the early 70's. This one was worn down to about VG/Fine, if I recall. The local dealer offered him $35 for it, but I know he didn't/wouldn't sell it.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Daniel Carr should mint a few fantasy seated dollars.

• I own one. I am trying to gather enough information to figure out how unique it is. It has chops on both obverse and reverse. I do not think PCGS will grade it with a chop mark designation as they would a Trade dollar.

Specializing in coins with "thin film interference" & "sulfur impregnated surfaces" due to hanging out with "old bags" and "wrappers"
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check the recent issues of The Numismatist for an article;e by Dan Owens which includes a note that 1,000 1872-S dollars were shipped to China in September of 1872.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would the Liberty Seated Collectors Society have info available like that?
    I'm guessing you have something quite scarce. The estimated remaining coins of
    this date is something like 700 pieces. Then to have one that went overseas and made it back and was retained and not melted is kind of remarkable.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2017 11:04AM

@Toningintheblood said:
    I own one. I am trying to gather enough information to figure out how unique it is. It has chops on both obverse and reverse. I do not think PCGS will grade it with a chop mark designation as they would a Trade dollar.

PCGS will give it a details grade, and will put "Chop Mark" on the label. You're right they will not give it a numeric grade like they do with Trade Dollars.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2017 11:29AM

Scarce would probably be an understatement. There was a big silver melt in 1873 (Act of February 21, 1873*) that some may have been taken out of existence. I read somewhere that bags of silver coins were normally grouped into $1,000 (1,000 Dollars, 2,000 Half Dollars, 4,000 Quarters, 10,000 Dimes per bag). CaptHenway mentioning 1,000 1872-S Dollars would fit that profile.

*This link is for 1870 Dollars, but is referenced for (Act of February 21, 1873)
    http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/6963

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • DDRDDR Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

Toningintheblood: Would you please post a pic of your coin? I would love to see what it looks like.

• TLeverageTLeverage Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2017 8:45PM

A surprisingly diverse variety of United States coinage is known with chopmarks, though apart from Trade Dollars and Seated Liberty halves, the majority are quite rare; multiple examples of pre-1800 Bust Dollars are known (though very few). As others have stated, the relatively low mintage figures and legal tender status were not factors that would encourage export, and very few examples of the Seated Liberty Dollars are known with chops across the entire series (possibly fewer than half a dozen). The last image I saw of one was from Rose's own book (Chopmarks), circa 1987. An example from such a key date is almost certainly unique.

• Pictures of the coin obverse and reverse have been added to original post for viewing.

• TLeverageTLeverage Posts: 259 ✭✭✭

Very nice. Three examples of the same chop, perhaps the merchant was suspicious of an unchopped example of a coin type he was unfamiliar with.

Very cool, thank you.

Very cool, thank you.

• BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

that is different, and BTW I like you toned "clock" avatar. pretty cool. :)

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rare - neat. Don't recall seeing a chopmarked seated dollar.

You can search the Gobrecht Journal (LSCC publication) on the Newman Portal at https://nnp.wustl.edu/Library/AdvancedSearchForm, enter "Gobrecht Journal" for title and then "chop" or "chopmark" in the search box.

I see a number of listings referring to chopmarked half dollars, but none for seated dollars.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice picture.... Thanks for showing us... Cheers, RickO

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Toningintheblood said:

Has anyone ever owned, seen, or heard of a chop marked 1872-S Seated Liberty Dollar? I know it is the year prior to the first year of the Trade Dollar issue. I attempted to google to find out, but ran across very little helpful information.

Nice.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file