Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1972-D Nickel and 1960-D sm. Date Cent questions

AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good morning folks.

I came across this 1972-D nickel and 1960-D small date cent in a box of coins.

I don't know what to make of the bubbling.. something during the annealing process?

I'm not sure if what I have is doubling or retooling or just an old die? (On both actually).

Also this 1960-D small date cent. I see this (now purple) line under his chin. Also curious as to how/why IGWT and Liberty got so smashed and moved around. A few letters of IGWT have extra metal under them. IN has slid, leaving a mark behind it. There's a faint, oh so faint, G next to GOD, metal under the D, just problems everywhere.

Are these the signs of an overworked die and nothing else?

Thanks for any help on these!

Cheers and I hope you all have a fantastic day.

Az.

1960-D sm. date cent.

Comments

• Options

@DIMEMAN - sorry to trouble you again after such a helpful post on my 1939 nickel, but perhaps you can weigh in? You're always incredibly helpful and I always learn something.

Mint damage on the nickel, mint damage & post mint damage on the cent right?

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, but I'm no expert on Double Dies. I'm not sure on the Nickel, but the R on the Cent is just smashed.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the surface of the nickel is the result of die fatigue. Nickel is very hard and chews up dies like crazy. The dies simply wear down and the surfaces give way. In the old days this could be caused by die rust, but I think that was not much of problem by 1972.

Another factor is the Denver Mint was not noted for making the best coins during the '60s and '70s. Low quality was the rule, and this coin is an example.

As for the cent, that just looks like plain old corrosion.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

Worn or overused dies - a very common effect
    seen on all denominations.

Ejection / mechanical doubling on the neck of the cent,
    and the B of Liberty is smashed/damaged.

No close ups of IGWT, but I'll assume it's the same type of
    doubling.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options

They certainly didn't care that's for sure.. I shuffled through my bags of 60s and 70s just to get an idea, and boy a lot are just torn to shreds. I looked at some BU roll examples and even then they look trashy.

I really truly do appreciate all the help you folks offer. It's difficult getting my sea legs back. I did metals from 2010 to current, but haven't done any serious coin examination since 1998.

Going to have to pickup some books and hopefully if I'm lucky I'll have 40 rolls of wheats to pluck away at soon.

Family got all riled up and said all of grandpa's cent and nickel rolls were useless and worthless.. they stole them anyway.. it breaks my heart to think how many gorgeous buffalos likely got coin star'd. Ugh. "What are a bunch of dimes and quarters going to do?". Gee I don't know, silver melt or sort? Blows my mind!

Honestly after that fiasco I told anyone in the family if I'm gonna be an executor of anyone's estate, there will be no co-executor, or I'd rather have nothing. Grandma may as well have written "free for all ignore the executors grab what you think you're entitled to when they're sleeping or at service". All that gold and SDB's. SMFH.

Family and money is worse than politics and religion at a kid's birthday party.

• Options

@FredWeinberg said:
    Worn or overused dies - a very common effect
    seen on all denominations.

Ejection / mechanical doubling on the neck of the cent,
    and the B of Liberty is smashed/damaged.

No close ups of IGWT, but I'll assume it's the same type of
    doubling.

Yep.. IGWT slides away from the rim with IN leaving behind a trail where it should've sat, but surprisingly the rest of it is fine which struck me as odd.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file