• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had to look them up. Wow!

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Impressive

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

And it's a genuinly eye-appealing coin at that.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

How long was it up?

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did not know that toning can have a pedigree.

• Options

I contacted the seller to see if he knew what he had. His response:

Yes. I identified it last year, but didn't mark it. I failed to remember, and threw it in with a lot of capped bust half dollars I just sold. I could have cancelled the sale, but the buyer was going to litigate. My lawyer said I would lose. From now on, I send all my coins to PCGS.

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some of the sellers would somehow lost the package in mail then issue a full refund.

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:

Yes. I identified it last year, but didn't mark it. I failed to remember, and threw it in with a lot of capped bust half dollars I just sold. I could have cancelled the sale, but the buyer was going to litigate. My lawyer said I would lose. From now on, I send all my coins to PCGS.

Someone who completely agrees with me.

• Options

I wonder what the law really says? If he made a mistake by not listing it accurately, could he not honestly cancel the auction before it sold, saying he made a mistake in the listing?

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:

...this is why it was nice that the OP waited a while before posting this pick...otherwise Pop goes the weasel ;)

• Options

@3keepSECRETif2rDEAD said:

@jwitten said:

...this is why it was nice that the OP waited a while before posting this pick...otherwise Pop goes the weasel ;)

Lol, I agree. I checked the sales date to make sure it was far enough in the past that the sale has already concluded. Curiosity got the best of me though, and I wanted to know if the seller had any idea what they had.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

The issues are largely questions of state law, but even most state consumer protection laws have exceptions for gross error. For purposes of contract law, if there was a true error (i.e. listing the wrong coin or an error in the price) and there is no "meeting of the minds" (i.e. mutual assent), then there is no valid/legally enforceable contract. In many jurisdictions, outrageous/extreme unilateral error can be the basis for contract rescission. There is also the argument that when bidding through eBay, a buyer agrees to eBay's rules and terms of service which allow for auction cancellation.

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mannie gray said:
    How long was it up?

I looked it up. It lasted all of 11 minutes 8 seconds. I'd say that is short enough time to have claimed it was a mistake and did not have enough time to fix it before it sold. I don't know of a jury in the world that would not side with the seller on that one.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow.. that is an expensive error..... I have seen other auctions cancelled (on ebay) for a similar reason... error in listing...too bad he did not cancel it, I doubt he would have lost. His attorney did not research the issue. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:

He should get another lawyer then, and at least should have fought to not give away all that value. HA had someone buy a coin in one of their auctions only to be contacted months later to return it because they had made a listing mistake. I'm sure they have lawyers to litigate such things.

"I once bought a proof-65 1936 walker half dollar from Heritage galleries for $450 when it was worth about $4500. It was an error in their database as to the price.
    About two months after I purchased it one of their reps called me and demanded that I return the coin. I worked out a deal with them where they paid refunded my money plus an additional $750. I was happy as the had treated me well in the past and I wanted to continue to work with them." https://www.cointalk.com/threads/ebay-still-a-cherrypickers-paradise-2017.290909/page-22#post-2683156

• Options
    edited April 1, 2017 6:46AM

He should have told his story, impossible to know without that. If I had seen it I would have contacted him about his mistake not take advantage of the seller to rip him off. http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/6102

• Options

The seller's pictures didn't do these coins justice either! The 1812 was sold by the time I got to it... but I got the 1820!

• Options
    edited April 1, 2017 7:56AM

There were a lot of good coins there, probably the 1820 is a high end AU, not sure what the variety is, the guy was giving money away, DC area, figures! Great collections don't just materialize out of thin air. Someone who was a serious collector put it together. Sent to Great Collections @ auction after certification the guy would have gotten probably 10-50X more on some of the coins. Unfrigging believable.

• Options
    opportunityopportunity Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2017 8:00AM

The person most at risk for litigation in this case isn't the seller, but the 3rd party who no doubt contacted him after the sale. Some of you do-gooders don't realize the possible consequences of your actions sometimes. I say this not in a derogatory manner, but rather wondering how the lines between friendly conversations and interfering in legal contracts becomes blurred. If someone was pursued for 3rd party interference, they would be in for a world of hurt if someone went whole-hog on them. The seller in this case's biggest downside would have been negative feedback.

Early American Copper, Bust and Seated.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. This is just crazy.

I agree, the seller needs a different lawyer.

Nice 1820 O.108 (R2). Had it been an O.107 this story would be complete.
    Lance.

• Options

That is the strangest legal theory I've heard. "Interference"??? Collector's common sense meters should be broken with that type of whopping nonsense. Go ahead and sue. Frankly when a rapist is trying to attack someone it is the duty of the victim and the witnesses to cry out at the top of their lungs.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    That is the strangest legal theory I've heard. "Interference"??? Collector's common sense meters should be broken with that type of whopping nonsense. Go ahead and sue. Frankly when a rapist is trying to attack someone it is the duty of the victim and the witnesses to cry out at the top of their lungs.

eBay can NARU you for auction interference, but I'm not sure how it would hold up in a court of law.

• Options

So how much would that coin be worth?

• Options

@logger7 said:

My friend, you're making a strawman argument based on your strong feelings about such things.

Tortious interference is real, though I'm not sure that's ever been tested with online auctions, I sure wouldn't want to be the first to have to swim.

I have an old college friend who's an attorney that was involved in a case involving 3 companies. One was taking bids on a rather major project, and entered a contract with the low bidder. A rogue then came along an undercut the low bidder, leading the hiring company to find a loophole out of the contract. When all came to light, believe it or not, the rogue went down like the Titanic after civil litigation was over with.

Now sure, the dynamics are a bit different, but would you really want to test those waters? Do what you want to do, you're a free man, but I'd hate to see something stupid happen to someone because they thought they were doing the right thing.

• Options
    Vbowling299Vbowling299 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2017 10:16AM

@opportunity said:

@logger7 said:

My friend, you're making a strawman argument based on your strong feelings about such things.

Tortious interference is real, though I'm not sure that's ever been tested with online auctions, I sure wouldn't want to be the first to have to swim.

I have an old college friend who's an attorney that was involved in a case involving 3 companies. One was taking bids on a rather major project, and entered a contract with the low bidder. A rogue then came along an undercut the low bidder, leading the hiring company to find a loophole out of the contract. When all came to light, believe it or not, the rogue went down like the Titanic after civil litigation was over with.

Now sure, the dynamics are a bit different, but would you really want to test those waters? Do what you want to do, you're a free man, but I'd hate to see something stupid happen to someone because they thought they were doing the right thing.

Did the rogue then get the contract? If yes, your argument is like comparing apples to oranges. In the above case regarding the coin, the person contacting the seller never ended up buying the coin. Much different scenario.

• Options

@hchcoin said:
    Did the rogue then get the contract? If yes, your argument is like comparing apples to oranges. In the above case regarding the coin, the person contacting the seller never ended up buying the coin. Much different scenario.

Not sure if they did or not, I heard about it in a casual conversation. Point is, who would want to defend themselves against such a scenario?

• Options

To put it more bluntly, an attorney would eat your argument up like a fat kid at a buffet ;)

• Options

@CoinsAndMoreCoins said:
    Frankly, the jurisdiction would be in the seller's home playing field and had he refused stating a listing error, I can't imagine an attorney being needed to defend such a frivolous claim. Bring the suit in CA or the "buyer's" hometown? Go ahead and spend your money, your 100-page memorandum of law attempting to get my state court to grant a Triple Act of Congress would be defeated with 3 paragraphs from that pesky Good Faith Fair Credit yada yada blurb that wouldn't even honor your attempt with making it stylistically correct.

The 'buyer's' case would be laughed out of Federal court if he chose, hypothetically, to go that route.

The coin in question having a value of something under $50,000 bucks for whoever asked.

Agreed...the seller's worst case scenario is a neg.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is what it is. Fair game. A You Suck award isn't what it used to be.

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2017 11:51AM

They do not sell very often but the 40-45 grades did sell for 10K or so. If you got Lance @lkeigwin bidding on it, could go 100K!

• Options
    edited April 1, 2017 1:11PM

It would have been nice if the seller was given some advice to walk the coins to an expert, not sure who that would have been in the Washington DC area where they live. I just hope they weren't selling the coins for someone who needed real money or that there are people in his household who are dependent on the money. If you look over the sales the items all went pretty cheap, and he was selling $20 gold pieces on ebay for under $1300. It doesn't happen too often. Like with this seller who was selling her parent's collection, coins were being listed with substandard photography as $800 buy it nows that ended up being worth well over $3000. http://www.ebay.com/usr/dianemzielestate Her parents died and left her with a collection to dispose of, and I was probably late to the game to let her know she was selling some items way too cheap. They don't know even how to approximately grade, attribute, consult price sheets and don't go to several honest professionals. Who is to say whether they "deserve" it or not? And ebay corporate doesn't lose sleep over communications with sellers unless they lose money. In this case they would have gotten much more money if the seller knew what he was doing.

I got the same message others who contacted him got:

"I identified it last year and planned to sell it though Stack's Bowers, but I didn't mark it. This year, I forgot and threw it in with a lot of capped bust half dollars I sold. I could have cancelled the sale, but the buyer would have litigated. My attorney said I'd lose.

"I'm getting a lot of messages about this. People must search the sold listings carefully. In the future, any coins I sell are going to PCGS."

Irrational buying and selling are bad for the hobby. There are plenty of people of means who can afford to pay what they are worth. Buys that end up being worth 50x purchase price creates a race to the bottom mentality, end justifies the means. "Like taking candy from a baby".

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another observation is that if the coin had never been attributed as a rare variety, and nobody ever paid big money for it, then nobody lost their investment. If true, then it is just a windfall for the new owner... assuming they know what they bought. If not, look for it on eBay with a $300 BIN in a couple of weeks. ;)

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:

I would guess in the range of $12k.
    Lance.

• Options

@lkeigwin said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

I would guess in the range of $12k.
    Lance.

Smoeone left a little $$$ on the table.

• Options

A quick review of his sales of a coin collection:

Two original 1899 $20 Lib.s that looks to grade at least MS62 sold for $1275 each, he lost at least 8% plus shipping. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1899-U-S-20-Gold-Coin-Double-Eagle-/252824284805
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1899-U-S-20-Gold-Coin-Double-Eagle-/252820916108?nma=true&si=DpKhAg0u2z%2FQZzRpovU9Rps2DEI%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

An 1822 Bust 50c for $115: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1822-U-S-Half-Dollar-Capped-Bust-KM-37-Original-Wayte-Raymond-Toning-/252826006308?nma=true&si=DpKhAg0u2z%2FQZzRpovU9Rps2DEI%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

An $1821 for under $85: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1821-U-S-Half-Dollar-Capped-Bust-KM-37-Original-Wayte-Raymond-Toning-/252826002755?nma=true&si=DpKhAg0u2z%2FQZzRpovU9Rps2DEI%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

An 1807 Bust for $255: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1807-U-S-Half-Dollar-Draped-Bust-KM-35-/252825933165?nma=true&si=DpKhAg0u2z%2FQZzRpovU9Rps2DEI%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

An 1834 Bust 50 for $80: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1834-U-S-Half-Dollar-Capped-Bust-KM-37-/252826037654?nma=true&si=DpKhAg0u2z%2FQZzRpovU9Rps2DEI%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

An 1826 Bust half for under $85: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1826-U-S-Half-Dollar-Capped-Bust-KM-37-/252826017481?nma=true&si=DpKhAg0u2z%2FQZzRpovU9Rps2DEI%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

An 1819 Bust 50c for $125: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1819-U-S-Half-Dollar-Capped-Bust-KM-37-Original-Wayte-Raymond-Toning-/252825993963?nma=true&si=DpKhAg0u2z%2FQZzRpovU9Rps2DEI%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

An 1810 Bust 50c for $65: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1810-U-S-Half-Dollar-Capped-Bust-KM-37-Wayte-Raymond-Toning-/252825951431?nma=true&si=DpKhAg0u2z%2FQZzRpovU9Rps2DEI%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

An 1811 50c for under $118: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1811-U-S-Half-Dollar-Capped-Bust-KM-37-Damaged-/252831785171?nma=true&si=DpKhAg0u2z%2FQZzRpovU9Rps2DEI%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

An 1808 for under $108: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1808-U-S-Half-Dollar-Capped-Bust-KM-37-/252825940880?nma=true&si=DpKhAg0u2z%2FQZzRpovU9Rps2DEI%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

An 1825 Bust 50c for $85: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1825-U-S-Half-Dollar-Capped-Bust-KM-37-/252826011558?nma=true&si=DpKhAg0u2z%2FQZzRpovU9Rps2DEI%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

An 1820 Bust 50c for under $475: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1820-U-S-Half-Dollar-Capped-Bust-KM-37-Original-Wayte-Raymond-Toning-/252825998584?nma=true&si=DpKhAg0u2z%2FQZzRpovU9Rps2DEI%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting thread for sure!

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

Lol, people aren't really that dumb are they??? To be intimidated by a threat of law suit??? Lol, that is meaningless, what a puss/$ ...

keceph `anah
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seller would have been wise to cancel the sale and taken his chances with litigation.

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the 1819 bust half was an 1819/8, large 9. Oops.

• Options

@CoinsAndMoreCoins said:
    The post by logger with extensive linkage started out very well in stating some opinion as to losses.

The rest of the links without ballpark fair market values are only meaningful, without lots of back and forth, to those specializing in those specific coins.

I looked at his completed listings and don't know enough ti determine if ge helix-rotary motioned himself on just this one item or most all of them.

Anyone familiar care to opine with a ballpark value of his completed listings?

Just to easily satiate my morbid curiosity. :-)

There are so many good options to get market value with the coins he sold, the major overdates and some varieties are included free with grading by most of the grading services. You would think that anyone who is online savvy enough to sell on ebay would also be a member of the many collector forums. Raw coins can be tough for unknowledgeable sellers to accurately evaluate, that's what grading is for. I spoke to a show dealer who went to Baltimore to buy raw and cherry pick some nice coins but most of the better coins were all certified. Some people learn the hard way, plus on ebay you lose at least 8% plus shipping. An antique seller had a rare Vermont colonial a while back and was shocked to see it go for thousands in an auction. At least with a real auction you can at least approach market value.

• Options
    edited April 3, 2017 1:44PM

And that 1822 they sold is an O-103 R5, probably worth 4x that much.

By the way, some of you are absolutely delusional if you think that a buyer wouldn't have a strong case against a 3rd party for tortious interference if they actually decided to subpoena and make an example out of them. Let's not conflate this with a lawsuit against the seller though, as I said before, that case would be a lot weaker and the seller's expensive lawyer would find a loophole most likely as mentioned above by others.

Every single rare variety out there, even run of the mill key dates were cherrypicked at one point or another. It's a well established practice in numismatics, like it or not. Why didn't a dozen of you message the seller last year about the 1829 O-120 that was bought for under $100 and re-sold for God only knows how much? Or that certain EAC piece a few years ago that went for 200 grand. Why don't you all email a certain well respected dealer, and tell him what a scumbag he is for picking off the R8 Draped Bust Half?

What is it about some of you, that you can't mind your own business?

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great score for sure!

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2017 5:31PM

@CoinsAndMoreCoins said:

@opportunity said:

What is it about some of you, that you can't mind your own business?

Well it beats discussing the weather.

The reality is no state's civil courts can longarm a litigant to them except under very rare circumstances that do not apply here.

The second reality is if one lost this in his own state's court, after exhausting all means to appeal, you had no idea what you were doing or your attorney drove the bus over you.

The third reality is despite diversity existing, to pad the hypothetical claim tall enough to have standing in District Court would most certainly have it dismissed and likely result in sanctions if an attorney foolish enough to bring it didn't accept summary dismissal graciously.

Ibid for the intereference......... not a chance in hades of showing 75 G's damage even if the person that notified the seller ended up with it and the value actually being double.

75 G's? Is that some arbitrary number? Not sure where you got that.

What if someone told you they were going to sue someone for $30,000 who sold them a broken $40 printer? Would you be dismissive and say it'd be laughed out of court?

Google Gersh Zavodnki.

http://time.com/money/4359964/lawsuit-printer-craigslist/

This is the key part of the story:
    "Costello says despite the legal nightmare, which has cost him upwards of $12,000 in attorney's fees, he has no plans to countersue Zavodnik. “I’ve had enough,” he said. “I don’t need him in my life anymore.”

Different story, but the same basic situation could apply. Why risk getting caught up in a nightmare? Legal defense is very expensive. I'm just saying, if someone really wanted to make an example of someone, it could be a nightmare for the do-gooder if someone were intent on making an example. Hopefully this will wake a few of you up to reality.

• Options

If I were you, I would not comment anymore. You might give someone an idea to sue me for messaging the seller. That could cost me a lot of money, then I might have to sue you for getting involved as well. ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file