Home U.S. Coin Forum

What brand and model of magnifier do use for grading?

what power? Eschenbach worth the money?

Comments

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,395 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zeiss D36----3X+6X=9X

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use a B&L 7x Hastings triplet that I got from @astrorat a long time ago.
    It's served admirably but I wouldn't mind upgrading.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eschenbach 3-6-9.

• JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    Zeiss D36----3X+6X=9X

+1
    To me there is no equal. YMMV :)

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

For shows and shops I use the Zeiss D36----3X+6X=9X.... at home, I usually use a Sirchie fingerprint magnifier - it has 4.5 magnification which is sufficient for most issues. Cheers, RickO

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

For grading I prefer an Eschenbach #1177 5x.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Normal use: B&L 3X-4X-7X. Discontinued item but China knockoff available. Let's in more light and lets you see more of the coin all at once than the B&L 3X-6X-9X that replaced it. Most numismatists think a high power lens is best. I have 4 B&L triplets: 7X, 10X, 14X, 20X but rarely use them.

I regularly use a stereomicroscope (both eyes) set around 7X and can see anything I need to grade a coin. :smile:

• AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are using a magnifier to grade you should consider taking a grading course. Loops should be used for identifying varieties or to otherwise investigate areas of interest, but never for grading. Grading is done under a good light holding the coin about a foot away from your eyes.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AMRC said:
    If you are using a magnifier to grade you should consider taking a grading course. Loops should be used for identifying varieties or to otherwise investigate areas of interest, but never for grading. Grading is done under a good light holding the coin about a foot away from your eyes.

While I kind of agree....I think the assumption is that there will ALWAYS be an "area of interest", and you'd be crazy to not have a loupe in hand while grading.

Question on the Zeiss D36 many have recommended: I know the optics, based on the company, are probably second to none. But looking at photos, it appears to be a plastic frame?! That would seem pretty cheap for a $120+ loupe....

Or am I getting the wrong impression.....

I like the solid feel of the standard, metal frame, B&L 7X loupe....but the option of having several magnifications offered by the Zeiss would be nice.

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2017 9:43AM

Zeiss D36
    I occasionally use an Otto Frei 10X LED/UV loupe

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

I own both the Zeiss 3+6=9 and the Eschenbach Acromat 3 6 9. Owned them for many years.

Both have wonderful optics and are great for use with coins.

But I actually prefer the Eschenbach for two reasons. I like the way it "feels" in my hand and it also has a handy ring for use with a lanyard.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2017 10:04AM

eshenbach 6+3 (actually have two, one in my bag, one at my office)

And I agree with molen, About 2 seconds after the coin hits my hand, I already have the grade assessed. Don't use a magnifier for that, just to verify and detect issues, varities, authentication, etc.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2017 4:19PM

I heard that the graders use the Zeiss loupe so I bought one, haven't tried the Eshenbach but can see the value of the point light source with a magnifier. But I usually use a B and L standard square type which is good enough.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

the clarity of the Eschenbach is second to none, it is the single thing which struck me the first time I used one. it could have a bit larger field but is really a great loupe for everyday use.

• epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

This is foreign. A computer loupe. I just look at 'em with handheld loupe and eyeball. Go figure. Getting left behind. Oh well.

• cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2017 10:42AM

Eschenbach 7x for grading, Eschenbach 12x for varieties. Well worth the money. The 12x has paid for both loupes many times over.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

@AMRC said:

Isn't authentication part of the grading process? Who cares what the grade is if the coin ain't even real?

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

As TMIMITW I rarely use a loop but when I do it's a Eschenbach 3-6-9.

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everyone persons eyesight is not equal. I heard a lot of the best graders are nearsighted. So there is an advantage to begin with as far as using a loupe. Funny I used to use high power but can see what I want to see with A 5x packet . Or the 6x on Eschenbach. 3-6-9 now.

I say use what you feel is needed. And if at a show I wouldn't let anybody get away with a grumble if you use a loupe. And they do. I've see them moan, but when they buy..... yup, out comes the loupe. :)

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • DancingFireDancingFire Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

@AMRC said:

My 58 yr old pair of eyes aren't as good as it used to be.

• KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

B&L 10X

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

@keets said:
    the clarity of the Eschenbach is second to none, it is the single thing which struck me the first time I used one.** it could have a bit larger field** but is really a great loupe for everyday use.

Yup, wish they make one like 35-40mm

• tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭✭

Eschenbach 3-6-9

• ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    Eschenbach 3-6-9.

Me too, expensive but worth it.

I mentioned earlier that I use my Zeiss 3-6-9 to look at coins but I also have an Eschenbach 3-6-9. While their quality and optical characteristics are identical I find the Zeiss to be easier and more comfortable to hold. Of course, YMMV.

@PerryHall said:
    I mentioned earlier that I use my Zeiss 3-6-9 to look at coins but I also have an Eschenbach 3-6-9. While their quality and optical characteristics are identical I find the Zeiss to be easier and more comfortable to hold. Of course, YMMV.

But the Zeiss is only 22mm in diameter vs the Eschenbach 30mm?

@DancingFire said:

@PerryHall said:

I just checked the specs---the Zeiss is 22mm and the Eschenbach is 23mm. I never noticed that there was any difference in size.

@PerryHall said:

@DancingFire said:

@PerryHall said:

I just checked the specs---the Zeiss is 22mm and the Eschenbach is 23mm. I never noticed that there was any difference in size.

Ok, the 4X-6X is 30mm
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eschenbach-Precision-Folding-Loupe-Magnifier-30mm-4X-6X-10X-Coins-Stamps-Rocks/272271088065?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=2&asc=42807&meid=7cab97a1a8c94fbf8f895ff5419dbc6f&pid=100005&rk=3&rkt=6&sd=112133536830

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use a 5x B&L aspherical lens loupe, but when I really need to get in on something I use a 10x Zeiss.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

@DancingFire said:

@PerryHall said:

@DancingFire said:

@PerryHall said:

Ok, the 4X-6X is 30mm
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eschenbach-Precision-Folding-Loupe-Magnifier-30mm-4X-6X-10X-Coins-Stamps-Rocks/272271088065?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=2&asc=42807&meid=7cab97a1a8c94fbf8f895ff5419dbc6f&pid=100005&rk=3&rkt=6&sd=112133536830

That's not the one I have. I have the black plastic one with the 3X and 6X lenses that can be used together to make 9X just like the Zeiss 36D.

• RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

My main loupe reads...,

7X

Hastings Triplet
    Bausch & Lomb

I also carry a generic 10X for the heck of it (I also have old eyes)

• RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zeiss D36.

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer the first, but I like the second too.
    Lance.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eschenbach 3-6-9.

• giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭

Anybody used the Belomo from Russia loupes comperable or better than B&L triplet loupes? Seem to have larger lens but a cheaper case than Bl..

• TheDukeKTheDukeK Posts: 359 ✭✭✭

Eschenbach 4-6-10

@giantsfan20 said:
    Anybody used the Belomo from Russia loupes comperable or better than B&L triplet loupes? Seem to have larger lens but a cheaper case than Bl..

I have a 10X one and it's a really great loupe and a very good value for the quality. It's made in former Soviet republic of Belarus (NOT Russia) by a company that made optical devices for the Soviet military including the guidance systems for their cruise missiles. Belomo stands for Belarusian Optical and Mechanical Association. These are very popular with rock and mineral collectors because of their quality and durability for field use.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use an inexpensive loope... Not even sure who makes it... Mainlly because I tend to either misplace them or leave them at tables at coin shows. The key is finding what works best for you. I tend to use a more powerful loope and some dealers have commented... "you will never buy anything looking at coins through a loope like that" and my standard response is I just want to know what I am buying.... It is my money.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭✭✭

H.G Harris 16x loupe.

• TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bausch & Lomb Folding Pocket Three-Lens Magnifier, I think I've been carting it around for about 12 years now.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

doublet 10x and a b&l 5x

@TheDukeK said:
    Eschenbach 4-6-10

I order one today. Expensive, but hopefully this will be the last loupe that I will ever need to purchase.

• TheDukeKTheDukeK Posts: 359 ✭✭✭

It's been good to me for years.

• WDPWDP Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use an inexpensive 5X glass for looking at most coins, and when I need something stronger I have an H. G. Schneider 10X lens, which is advertised as, "Fully corrected achromatic & aplanatic lens. Distortion free triplet loupe." I bought it from Joel Margolis at FUN years ago (he walks the floor during the FUN Convention). It is German made. It works really well for me.

W. David Perkins Numismatics - http://www.davidperkinsrarecoins.com/ - 25+ Years ANA, ANS, NLG, NBS, LM JRCS, LSCC, EAC, TAMS, LM CWTS, CSNS, FUN

• SONOMOSCASONOMOSCA Posts: 399 ✭✭✭

I use a B&L 3X and a Belomo triplet 10X

I got my B&L 3X in 1996 at a little coin shop, actually if I'm remembering this correctly it was probably
    around a 100 sq. ft. store (shack) sitting in a park near city hall in Pomona, CA with the nicest older gentleman
    running the place. I stepped in to see what he had and to asked a few questions and since I didn't know
    much other than really liking coins, the only thing he would sell me was a 1996 redbook and that B&L 3X.
    He said "that will hold you over for a while", after 21 years using it I believe he was correct. The Belomo comes
    in handy when looking for Vams on Morgans.

BST transactions - Wondercoin, SNMAN , Mb423, Timbuk3

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file