Home U.S. Coin Forum

2 cent Pattern coin question

RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just purchased a Judd-305 (Pollock-370) Washington 2 cent pattern coin. I friend of mine has a book on patterns and we're eventually going to get together and research this coin some more, but I wondered what my fellow forum members might be able to tell me. I'd guess the grade to be PR63 or so. Sorry I can't post a photo.
I've always wanted at least one pattern coin for my collection so purchased this one from a retiring dealer friend at hopefully a good price. This one also appealed to me because while it never made it to circulation, it was the first coin to have General Washington used as the obverse image.
Thanks for any information.
Pete

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
Louis Armstrong

Comments

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's a great website on patterns:
    http://uspatterns.com/j306p371.html

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Without pictures, any meaningful evaluation is not possible....best of luck with your purchase.... Cheers, RickO

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't guess what it's worth without a picture, and probably won't be able to do it if there were a photo available because patterns are not my area.

The interesting thing about that coin was that it was the first U.S. coin to have an actual, historical person on it. Pictures of real people, some of whom were sill alive had appeared on paper money on a fairly regular basis.

The protrait of Washington that was on that piece was also used on the 1864 Sanitary Fair Civil War token. The Philadelphia Mint moved a coin press to the floor of the Sanitary Fair arena and struck the tokens there. The price was 10 cents for the bronze token and 50 cents for the silver one. Here are examples.

Bronze

Silver

Here is one that is gold plated. These are supposed to be fairly rare.

Although Fuld lists just the three medals in his book, there are a number sub varieties of these with different placement of the lattering on the reverse.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found this one on the net somewhere because curiosity got me, I do not know who owns it but it state it is a PF65.........Nice looking Pattern

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks to those who offered suggestions and I apologize for the lack of an image.

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file