Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Solid gold 1901 Pan American Exposition medal by MacNeil sold in February

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Forgive me if this was posted about before. I follow Rago Auctions but for Arts & Crafts-era art and furniture and dismissed their recent coin auction. Not that I could have afforded the winning bid.

The piece is listed as one of only two remaining solid gold versions of these beautiful medals. NGC graded unc but bent & scratched. 6.38 troy ounces of pure gold.

The article and image from coinworld:
http://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2017/02/gold-1901-pan-american-exposition-medal-in-auction.all.html

And the auction results from Rago. Hold on to your coin budget...

https://www.ragoarts.com/auctions/2017/02/24/coins-currency/218

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yee-Hah!!!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, that one beat the estimate for sure. Guess I'll just have to settle for my lowly bronze. Beautiful medal regardless of the metal.

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

Beautiful design

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful medal.... and a hefty 6.38 ounces of pure gold... even damaged that is a remarkable piece. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 7, 2017 8:51PM

Didn't see the this the first time around but it just came up in another thread.

Beautiful piece and "Hold on to your coin budget" is right!

The Eldridge R. Johnson specimen sold for $46,995 on an estimate of $12,000 - $15,000.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file