Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Populations after crossover or upgrades?

I was just wondering what happens to the population reports?..Does PCGS and NGC reduce the population on cross-overs? Or is there now just more being reported in the current population? Who has the responsibility to adjust the reports for a competitor?to lower for one and raise for another?

Same question on upgrades? does pcgs take the coin out of the lower inventory population.

Also seen many say they will just "crack out" the coin and submit raw- doesn't that also again improperly "inflate" the population numbers? So that many coins actually populations, especially i'd guess in 64-66 grades are much lower? As people try and get higher grades from a lower coin... and because 'cracked out" the old holder still counts in the Population numbers, which does affect a price of the Coin

thanks for any imput

Comments

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's no doubt that crack-outs inflate the numbers, particularly for the higher grades, as folks try for that one-grade win-the-lottery boost. The inflation's been going on for years.

People could (and some do) submit the old inserts for population adjustments (I've heard of some folks turning in hundreds at a time), but I've had the impression that people aren't as conscientious about that as they used to be. PCGS used to pay a $.50 per insert bounty; don't know if they still do.

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you do a crossover, the grading company that you submit to should return any inserts. It is up to the collector to take action from there.

If the big grading companies really wanted to have more accurate numbers they could offer more than .50/insert which I'm sure could entice more people to return them...but they don't.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you send it to the same company and the grade changes, they adjust the population report.

As ShadyDave said, if you send it to another company what you do with the returned labels is up to you.

NGC give you 50c account credit as an incentive to return them so they can adjust the population report. AFAIK they're the only one - the other just adjust reports if you return the labels.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    10000lakes10000lakes Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭

I did a recent crossover of some NGC coins to PCGS.
    Nothing was returned from the old holders for the ones that crossed.
    A couple even had CAC beans.
    I have no idea if PCGS reports the data back to NGC or CAC.

• Options

@dpoole said:
    There's no doubt that crack-outs inflate the numbers, particularly for the higher grades, as folks try for that one-grade win-the-lottery boost. The inflation's been going on for years.

People could (and some do) submit the old inserts for population adjustments (I've heard of some folks turning in hundreds at a time), but I've had the impression that people aren't as conscientious about that as they used to be. PCGS used to pay a $.50 per insert bounty; don't know if they still do.

thanks! that is interesting that pcgs paid a bonus, so as to be accurate- do you have any "guessestimate" to the percentage of inflation in the Pop's?

thanks

• Options

@ShadyDave said:
    When you do a crossover, the grading company that you submit to should return any inserts. It is up to the collector to take action from there.

If the big grading companies really wanted to have more accurate numbers they could offer more than .50/insert which I'm sure could entice more people to return them...but they don't.

How many people do you think are returning the cracked slabs to the original TPG?

• Options

@10000lakes said:

Interesting- so even the tpg's are not really keeping a close eye on accurate POP's..does any of the dealers here have a "guess-estimate" to how off in percentage these pop's are on popular coins?

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

@denali12 said:

@ShadyDave said:

How many people do you think are returning the cracked slabs to the original TPG?

My guess would be virtually zero. Why advertise the fact that you are playing the crack-out game? The grading services know people do it, of course, but becoming known as a crack-out artist could be conterproductive to your cause.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@10000lakes said:

Hmmm, I might call PCGS customer service today to see if this is standard operating procedure. I was under the assumption that PCGS would return labels, but you know what they say about assuming.

I see no information on our hosts site indicating my assumption is correct though. I have 9 coin submitted for the crossover special still "in process", so I'll figure out sooner or later regardless.

• Options

@BillJones said:

@denali12 said:

@ShadyDave said:

My guess would be virtually zero. Why advertise the fact that you are playing the crack-out game? The grading services know people do it, of course, but becoming known as a crack-out artist could be conterproductive to your cause.

Not sure understand? what is the 'cause"?.. is cracking out coins frowned upon? what is the downside?

• Options
    edited March 31, 2017 8:27AM

@denali12 said:

@BillJones said:

@denali12 said:

@ShadyDave said:

Not sure understand? what is the 'cause"?.. is cracking out coins frowned upon? what is the downside?

The grading services don't like to be second guessed in general. They want collectors to believe that their opinions are almost always correct and authoritative. Large numbers of well publicized crack-outs with upgrades can shake that opinion. How can the grade change? Are the grading standards changing? Are the grades built on quicksand? This was the way things were in "the bad old days" when dealers bought coins using one grade and sold them using a high one.

It's the reason way PCGS was not pleased with CAC at first. But when it became obvious that CAC was here to stay, they accepted the situation.

Many collectors here know that experts can different on grades for good reasons. Many collectors in the "general populaton" or investors don't know that, and the big bullion related coin dealers don't want to market their goods with that kind of uncertainty hanging over the market. For them "the stated grade is the final word."

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:

@denali12 said:

@BillJones said:

@denali12 said:

@ShadyDave said:

The grading services don't like to be second guessed in general. They want collectors to believe that their opinions are almost always correct and authoritative. Large numbers of well publicized crack-outs with upgrades can shake that opinion. How can the grade change? Are the grading standards changing? Are the grades built on quicksand? This was the way things were in "the bad old days" when dealers bought coins using one grade and sold them using a high one.

It's the reason way PCGS was not pleased with CAC at first. But when it became obvious that CAC was here to stay, they accepted the situation.

Many collectors here know that experts can different on grades for good reasons. Many collectors in the "general populaton" or investors don't know that, and the big bullion related coin dealers don't want to market their goods with kind of uncertainty hanging over the market. For them "the stated grade is the final word."

Ok.. that makes sense, thanks for the explanation.

• Options

found 2 interesting articles on this:

http://www.carsoncitycoinclub.com/pdf/Price_and_Rarity_of_Selected_GSA.pdf

and :smile:

http://www.usgoldexpert.com/articles/the-10-greatest-myths-of-slabbed-coins/

MYTH NO. 3: Population and census reports tell you
    exactly how many coins are available.
    For a number of years, PCGS and NGC have been issuing
    periodic population and census reports detailing how many
    coins of each date, mint and type they have certified in each
    of the various grades–and these can be extremely useful to
    buyers and sellers. By no means, however, should these be
    considered precise reflections of how many different coins
    are actually available.
    The problem is, these reports contain no consistent corrective
    mechanism to account for resubmissions–cases where the same
    coin is submitted over and over in hopes that it will receive
    a higher grade the second, third, fourth or 50th time around.
    A given coin might have been graded dozens of times because
    the submitter thought it might be given the next-higher grade
    and thus command a much higher price. In such a situation,
    the population and census reports can be extremely
    misleading.
    Take the case of a coin worth $1,000 in Mint State-64
    and $10,000 in Mint State-65. If it’s a very high-end MS-64
    piece, its owner might crack it out of its holder multiple
    times and keep resubmitting it, trying to get it upgraded to
    65 and thus increase its market value $9,000. The population
    and census reports do not correct for this irregularity

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a small pile of inserts just hanging out. Most of which are NGC for some reason ;) One of these days I might send them back...

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

I crossed a PCGS to NGC (I know) and NGC sent the PCGS insert back with the coin in the new NGC holder.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are too many coins being cracked and crossed? School of thought says no.

• Options

@tommy44 said:
    I crossed a PCGS to NGC (I know) and NGC sent the PCGS insert back with the coin in the new NGC holder.

So seems the numbers are inflated.. has anyone done or have an estimate of the percentages inflated? 5%? 20%?.. anyone?

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to be religious about returning labels, even Anacs and Icg, though their customer service people were like what's this? but I don't crack out many these days. I wonder why on crossovers they don't automatically send the surplus insert back to alternate the grading service.

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

When PCGS introduced PCGS Secure in 2010, I remember thinking that the technology offered some promise for this inflated population business. It was introduced as a line of defense against altered coins, but because they charge extra for it, it hasn't had much of an impact that I can tell.

I acknowledge--without knowing--that the technology involved may make the procedure prohibitively expensive for PCGS to provide free photo recognition for every coin that crosses it's desk. But if they did, it would potentially solve the population inflation caused by repeated resubmissions, as well as -- incidentally -- grade inflation.

Of course, that would also mean that resubmission fees would evaporate overnight....

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The amount of resubmissions, crackouts, crossovers has impacted the population reports to the extent that they can no longer be used for even a general guideline. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    The amount of resubmissions, crackouts, crossovers has impacted the population reports to the extent that they can no longer be used for even a general guideline. Cheers, RickO

But, as many use the POP reports for pricing coins, doesn't that by extension mean many of these prices way off?

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Denali, it's hard to guesstimate as it would be one number for a common where there's $50 difference between a 64 and a 65, and a completely different number (like 50x) for a grade rarity with a big jump between two grades.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options

@MANOFCOINS said:
    With grade inflation the pops are useless. Now more than ever the grade on plastic is less important to me. Many old ms 66 coins are as nice as the ms67+ coming out. The old adage buy the coin not the plastic is more true now than ever before.

Good point- i'm just a numbers person so do like to have some verifiable numbers to back up ideas and thoughts

• Options

The estimates of the rarity of the certain items have long been those that were put together by numismatic researchers and collectors. This goes back to Dr. Sheldon's first early cent die variety guide, "Early American Cents," published in the late 1940s and probably before that.

It is unfortunate that the population reports have be going off the rails, but it had to happen. The crossovers and crack-outs have inflated the numbers, and there really no way to fix it unless people did exhaustive searches of site like the Heritage archives. Even that is limited, however, because other sites, like Stack's have lost or don't offer their information to Internet users.

• Options

I spoke with PCGS Customer Service today (Stephanie, who was very helpful) and she indicated that their policy is to send ALL inserts back to the owner when a slab is cracked during a crossover.

@10000lakes your situation seems out of the ordinary according to what CS stated. If you wanted the inserts back, you might want to call PCGS [(800) 447-8848 Option #2] to get an answer as to what happened.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file