Home Precious Metals
Options

Posting comments on the BST thread.

I tend to think that CU is not your personal store, so comments on items that are posted for sale are fair game IMO. There are others however, who feel its rude to comment on the offerings of another. But just like I would hope someone would point out that a particular item was a known fake, in order to protect unaware potential buyers....I also would hope that people will point out when an item is overpriced (to protect unaware potential buyers) as well. If your goal in the CU forums is simply to flip bullion for a profit at the expense of our members, then I have little respect for you anyway. And when your asking prices are HIGHER than advertised APMEX, JM Bullion, or other large bullion dealer prices, then expect me to call you out on it. CU wasn't created to give you a venue to rip people off without any type of fee. If you're looking to sell overpriced stuff, I suggest taking it to a venue better suited...one in which you actually have to pay to use.

Comments

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

This should be interesting :D

• Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

If an item is fake and being marketed as real, then I am all for taking over the thread and shining a light for all to see.

If an item is priced at little more than a large wholesaler, then I will mind my own business.

Now if an item is DRASTICALLY higher then a friendly PM might be sent to see if it's a typo...

• Options
    Geckster109Geckster109 Posts: 231 ✭✭✭

"If an item is priced at little more than a large wholesaler"

That's the problem. Define little more. I bet if you ask 10 people, you'd get 10 different answers.

• Options

Besides, what is worse.....a fake 1943 Merc dime being sold as junk silver, or an MS70 Buffalo $50 gold coin in a "fly by night" grading company's slab with an asking price of $1,900? You would speak out on the $1.20 disasterous transaction because its fake, but let some poor sap who doesn't know any better take a $500 loss on the buff?

• Options
    Banknotes122Banknotes122 Posts: 74 ✭✭✭

If someone doesn't know what something is worth they should probably do some homework before making a purchase. This is true for everything and not just coins or bullion.

Successful transactions: Illini420, Bajjerfan, Coinfolio, Chadc13, Konsole, DM679864, Weiss and many more

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

The thread in question was a genuine gold piece in a top tier slab priced lower than what APMEX charges. Any derogatory comment on such a BST post is out of line. Here's APMEX's equivalent item at $155 + delivery. apmex.com/product/83508/1-10-oz-gold-american-eagle-ms-69-ngc-random-year

The difference between an obvious counterfeit item is one any reasonable person should understand

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think some BST sellers overprice their merchandise because they know they will be getting counter offers from forum buyers and they want some negotiating room.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@VanHalen said:
    The thread in question was a genuine gold piece in a top tier slab priced lower than what APMEX charges. Any derogatory comment on such a BST post is out of line. Here's APMEX's equivalent item at $155 + delivery. apmex.com/product/83508/1-10-oz-gold-american-eagle-ms-69-ngc-random-year

The difference between an obvious counterfeit item is one any reasonable person should understand

Shipping is free from APMEX on orders of $99+. Were both of the member's coins slabbed?

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2017 2:47PM

I think price should remain the business between the buyer and the seller. If a buyer has a question about price for the rest of the forum then let him ask it. High priced BST items do not violate forum rules. A crusade against high priced BST items could be considered a forum rules violation, especially if not applied fairly across the board.

When the BST is changed to the "guaranteed lowest prices on the internet BST," then your crusade will have merit.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

@Banknotes122 said:
    If someone doesn't know what something is worth they should probably do some homework before making a purchase. This is true for everything and not just coins or bullion.

So does that also apply to fakes?

• Options

@grote15 said:
    Fake or counterfeit is one thing, pricing is another. It is poor form to make comments on pricing and frankly none of anyone's business besides the seller and the buyer.

Why would you say anything about a fake item though? Is it to protect an unsuspecting buyer? Couldn't the same logic be applied to an item that is overpriced and readily available for less money in other places?

So basically you're ok with saying something if an item is fake so a person doesn't get ripped off, but not preventing that same person from being ripped off by unusually high pricing? Interesting!

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

Geck, selling a counterfeit is an illegal activity. There is nothing illegal about turning a profit on a legitimate bullion item.
    I've been here quite a while, and I don't recall getting the advice to "buy low, break even" or "buy low, sell lower"

• Options
    Banknotes122Banknotes122 Posts: 74 ✭✭✭

@Geckster109 said:

@grote15 said:
    Fake or counterfeit is one thing, pricing is another. It is poor form to make comments on pricing and frankly none of anyone's business besides the seller and the buyer.

Why would you say anything about a fake item though? Is it to protect an unsuspecting buyer? Couldn't the same logic be applied to an item that is overpriced and readily available for less money in other places?

So basically you're ok with saying something if an item is fake so a person doesn't get ripped off, but not preventing that same person from being ripped off by unusually high pricing? Interesting!

People can ask what they want. You don't have to buy it if you don't like the price. People should do some research not only on valuing items but detecting fakes. This will save them from getting burned.

Successful transactions: Illini420, Bajjerfan, Coinfolio, Chadc13, Konsole, DM679864, Weiss and many more

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am looking forward to some of your killer deals at prices way lower than the big guys with free shipping. Let's see what you got in gold, silver and 90% Geckster ;)

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2017 3:51PM

Peddling fakes on the BST is dishonest, not having the lowest price on the internet is not dishonest - it's free enterprise. Note that if two or more of us colluded to sell at the same price we would be breaking the law - a law that protects free enterprise.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you don't see how your post on the other thread was out of line, I suggest you go to the next coin show in town and go around the room pointing out to all of the attendees how overpriced all of the bullion/coins in the room are with the phone number for Apmex on your shirt.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Caveat emptor. "Let the buyer beware." I reject the idea of having a member "overseer" criticizing prices on the BST. On the other hand, with Counterfeit or potential fraud, I have no objection in having our voices made public.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

@bigjpst said:
    If you don't see how your post on the other thread was out of line, I suggest you go to the next coin show in town and go around the room pointing out to all of the attendees how overpriced all of the bullion/coins in the room are with the phone number for Apmex on your shirt.

Of course the difference there is that the dealers PAID to display and sell their items at a show. How much did you pay to list your stuff on the BST? ;)

• Options

Funny side story that happened about a week and a half ago. Walked into a coin shop in southern burbs of Chicago with $$$ in my pocket looking to buy a random date AGE 1oz. Lady asked if she could help me, and I told her what I was looking for. After a few minutes fumbling around a case, and then a few more minutes in the back room, she came out to apologize that they didn't have any in stock. She told me she could order one for me though, so I bit and asked for a quote. After another 5-7 minutes, she came back and said $1350! I knew that APMEX had them for just $1272 at the time, so I politely told her that I could order one from APMEX for about $75 less and that I preferred to do business with local merchants if possible. She said (in a very snooty voice) "well don't forget about shipping".....to which I quickly shot back "shipping is free with APMEX". The look on her face was simply priceless! As if someone came over and blew their nose in her blouse. And some folks wonder why the traditional brick and mortar joints are failing miserably!

• Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Geckster109 said:

@bigjpst said:

Of course the difference there is that the dealers PAID to display and sell their items at a show. How much did you pay to list your stuff on the BST? ;)

So it's Ok to be rude when the other person isn't paying for the venue. Got it thanks.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Geckster109 said:
    Funny side story that happened about a week and a half ago. Walked into a coin shop in southern burbs of Chicago with $$$ in my pocket looking to buy a random date AGE 1oz. Lady asked if she could help me, and I told her what I was looking for. After a few minutes fumbling around a case, and then a few more minutes in the back room, she came out to apologize that they didn't have any in stock. She told me she could order one for me though, so I bit and asked for a quote. After another 5-7 minutes, she came back and said $1350! I knew that APMEX had them for just $1272 at the time, so I politely told her that I could order one from APMEX for about $75 less and that I preferred to do business with local merchants if possible. She said (in a very snooty voice) "well don't forget about shipping".....to which I quickly shot back "shipping is free with APMEX". The look on her face was simply priceless! As if someone came over and blew their nose in her blouse. And some folks wonder why the traditional brick and mortar joints are failing miserably!

Wasn't that long ago where I saw an APMEX gold listing on eBay shipping around $30.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Geckster109 said:

So you expect to pay lower than APMEX prices at a local brick and mortar store?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@Geckster109 said:

@grote15 said:

No, you are missing the point entirely, and frankly speaking, if you are too obtuse to discern the difference, I don't have the time to explain the difference to you.

But suffice to say, as derryb already posted, selling for profit (free enterprise) at a price the market will bear vs selling counterfeit goods (which is against the law) are not even on the same spectrum. But nice try.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:

@Geckster109 said:

Where did I ever say that I expected to pay less than APMEX? I would LOVE for you to specifically point it out to me. Thanks!

• Options

@Geckster109 said:

@grote15 said:

@Geckster109 said:

Where did I ever say that I expected to pay less than APMEX? I would LOVE for you to specifically point it out to me. Thanks!

Well, you quoted the APMEX price as your negotiating tactic. If not $75, how much more were you willing to pay to order one from the store?

• Options

@grote15 said:

@Geckster109 said:

@grote15 said:

No, you are missing the point entirely, and frankly speaking, if you are too obtuse to discern the difference,

Obtuse? LOL! Im a member of Mensa. Are you? ;)

• Options

@Geckster109 said:

@grote15 said:

@Geckster109 said:

@grote15 said:

No, you are missing the point entirely, and frankly speaking, if you are too obtuse to discern the difference,

Obtuse? LOL! Im a member of Mensa. Are you? ;)

My apologies, I'll try to scale back the vocabulary, lol.

• Options

@grote15 said:

@Geckster109 said:

@grote15 said:

@Geckster109 said:

Well, you quoted the APMEX price as your negotiating tactic. If not $75, how much more were you willing to pay to order one from the store?

I would have actually paid up to $1300 to buy one on the spot.....but if the best she could do was order one for me, why would I pay a single dime more than it would cost me to order one myself and have it shipped to my mailbox?

• Options
    edited March 30, 2017 5:50PM

@Geckster109 said:

@grote15 said:

@Geckster109 said:

@grote15 said:

@Geckster109 said:

I would have actually paid up to $1300 to buy one on the spot.....but if the best she could do was order one for me, why would I pay a single dime more than it would cost me to order one myself and have it shipped to my mailbox?

Because a local B&M store is not going to be able (typically) to compete with a behemoth like APMEX when it comes to pricing. If you are truly willing to support a local shop, you're not going to get the same deal as you would from a huge online retailer.

• Options

@grote15 said:

@Geckster109 said:

@grote15 said:

@Geckster109 said:

@grote15 said:

@Geckster109 said:

Because a local B&M store is not going to be able to compete with a behemoth like APMEX when it comes to pricing. If you are truly willing to support a local shop, you're not going to get the same deal as you would from a huge online retailer.

You ever buy from a local coin shop? There are circumstances in which bullion can be had for much, MUCH less than what APMEX sells for in certain instances. You just need to know what you're looking at is all. Its called cherry picking.

• Options

And in instances where the local shop has what I want in inventory and the price difference is only 1-2% higher than APMEX, I pull the trigger. Shops get large amounts of bullion in over the counter....and most of it is taken in slightly back of spot. But if they want to try to hit the home run on me, aint gonna happen.

• Options

@Geckster109 said:

@grote15 said:

@Geckster109 said:

@grote15 said:

@Geckster109 said:

@grote15 said:

@Geckster109 said:

Because a local B&M store is not going to be able to compete with a behemoth like APMEX when it comes to pricing. If you are truly willing to support a local shop, you're not going to get the same deal as you would from a huge online retailer.

You ever buy from a local coin shop? There are circumstances in which bullion can be had for much, MUCH less than what APMEX sells for in certain instances. You just need to know what you're looking at is all. Its called cherry picking.

For gold eagles? If you find a location like that, more power to you.

• Options

@grote15 said:

@Geckster109 said:

@grote15 said:

@Geckster109 said:

@grote15 said:

@Geckster109 said:

@grote15 said:

@Geckster109 said:

Ever sell a gold eagle to a local shop? What did they pay you? The industry standard around here is 98%. Now if you walk in with a few and sell them at 98%, then I walk in 10 minutes later with cash in hand, and they wont sell them to me at 105% over spot, then they didn't want to make an $85 dollar instant profit I guess. And later on that same day, I found a shop with some in stock and they were happy to match APMEX's price.

• Options

Good for you.

But that still doesn't mean that selling counterfeit eagles is the same as charging (what you conisider to be) too high a price for authentic eagles (or any other item) on the B/S/T forum.

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hchcoin said:
    I am looking forward to some of your killer deals at prices way lower than the big guys with free shipping. Let's see what you got in gold, silver and 90% Geckster ;)

@Geckster109 Still waiting B)

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tim, Andy Dufresne got a month in the hole for calling Warden Norton obtuse, so tread lightly please.

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

All I want to know is when, where, and how much is the fee is for the Geckster Intensive Training Camp for Buying & Selling Bullion & Coins...

keceph `anah
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2017 6:16PM

@grote15 said:

@Geckster109 said:

@grote15 said:

@Geckster109 said:

@grote15 said:

@Geckster109 said:

@grote15 said:

@Geckster109 said:

Ever sell a gold eagle to a local shop? What did they pay you? The industry standard around here is 98%. Now if you walk in with a few and sell them at 98%, then I walk in 10 minutes later with cash in hand, and they wont sell them to me at 105% over spot, then they didn't want to make an $85 dollar instant profit I guess. And later on that same day, I found a shop with some in stock and they were happy to match APMEX's price.

I guess you live in an area of the country where bullion sellers get SCREWED!

Around here last I knew, local local paid $10 over for AGEs and 35 miles away locals pay $15-$20 over for 1 ounce AGEs.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sheesh.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

I think locals around Des Moines don't have internet access...

keceph `anah
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2017 8:34PM

To shed some insight into a question on bst, the Apmex buy price is quoted on a 10k minimum purchase by them...

Now I know everyone here on CU knows this, but quoting it is a prime marketing tool on other sites...

Edit: Oh almost forget too add, if you really want a load in your pants, even if they quote it, doesn't mean they will actually buy it, many times they won't...

keceph `anah
  • Options

@rawteam1 said:
    I think locals around Des Moines don't have internet access...

Why do you say that?

• Options

Just a joke, Cy, just a joke.... jeesh...

keceph `anah
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gecko,

just like before with your other account, before you were banned, it is still considered rude to be whining about someone's asking price here.

Don't like it? Move on. Have same thing to sell cheaper? Start your own thread to sell.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a door if you don't like the price. If one feels the need to tell others how much cheaper they can buy it elsewhere, it is kind of rude. Go buy it elsewhere and STFU.
    I've sent lots of potentential customers out the door for recommending to me what my price should be. This is not a police state here or in a B&M
    If you post into the BST what another should charge, or do, you might be considered a saint in some circles. I consider people like that to be the problem with society.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2017 8:41AM

My grandpa used to say,
    "Boy, if one guy says you're wrong, it's 50/50 that maybe he's wrong. But if 5 or 10 people tell you you're wrong, well, chances are..."

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2017 7:15AM

With regards to fakes.... feel free to point out fake. If doctored ? That's fair game, but it's still none of OUR business. Yet, I understand and appreciate your (all people's) opinions in the matter. If it's a crook who cheats.... string 'em up.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

If someone decides to bitch about my asking price on BST or anywhere else, frankly - it's none of their damn business.

If they want to point out a fake, that's a public service. Why is that so hard to understand?

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.