Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Legend Report—how perfect (or imperfect) is the coin market if it’s tied to other circumstances?

LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭

I was reading the latest Legend Market Report with interest. In it, the writer states:

“Pogue will be a record breaker. While several coins may not realize the hyper inflated prices Pogue paid (that is a story in itself), the prices they will realize will still be in record territory. This segment of the sale was postponed because of weakness only 6 months ago. Today, with the stock market up a few trillion (smart money seems to have pulled out and are looking for other areas) and with no other big auctions on the horizon, the sale will be packed and bidding WILL be ferocious. What difference timing made here.”

This statement leads Longacre to conclude that the coin market is even more excessively thin than he had previously thought. Arguably, the Pogue coins are the greatest coin collection ever assembled. One would think that anything of Pogue-caliber would bring strong prices and generate strong demand at any point in time.

How thin truly is the coin market that it would take a zooming stock market, a creation of wealth not related to coins, and then a desire for non-collectors to put their money in an area that’s not stocks, for an auction of Pogue-level coins to be successful? What does that say about the common dreck that the 99.9%-ers collect?

Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

"While several coins may not realize the hyper inflated prices Pogue paid" _ I wonder WHO sold them at hyper inflated prices to begin with ???? Just curious....

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2017 11:36AM

I'd like to know why or how Pogue "paid hyper-inflated" prices for some of their coins. I would assume those aren't coins that David Akers participated in. And if Pogue, being in the market for 35 yrs or more, with some of the best advisors in the business is paying hyper-inflated prices for some coins, what does that mean for those people "only" spending hundreds to thousands of dollars for each coin? If we're talking about finest knowns bought out of Newman or Gardner for monster prices and now trying to sell them 2-3 yrs later....I can understand that. If Pogue and Gardner were subject to such effects, wouldn't any other top dog collection builder be as well?

The coin market has always been heavily tied to the stock market and associated business/economic cycles. Stocks and generally coins, don't do well in recessions. The state of the bullion markets is also a big player in the "health" of the rare coin market....been that way since August 1971.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

By most economic measures, the "coin market" is the poster child for "thin." The skinniest runway models are obese gluttons compared to the "rare coin market."

Collect for enjoyment, history, knowledge and connection.

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Longacre said:
    How thin truly is the coin market that it would take a zooming stock market, a creation of wealth not related to coins, and then a desire for non-collectors to put their money in an area that’s not stocks, for an auction of Pogue-level coins to be successful? What does that say about the common dreck that the 99.9%-ers collect?

I'll claim ignorance on what it takes to make a Pogue-level auction fly....

But I think it's a mistake to throw a Pogue-level coin/collection into the same conversation as a "common collector dreck" piece.

Different market, different market forces. The first depends on big available $$, and a few willing to spend it....the second just depends on a large enough collector base to support the asking price. (Already been a few threads debating THAT....but I don't think it's directly tied to the stock market).

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

My thoughts and questions, exactly! Thanks RR, Watersports & Sonora!

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Longacre should buy the entire Pogue collection and just get it over with! >:)

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

Legend coins are mostly targeted to small group of well to do collectors ..yes stock market has in effect , it has created a lot of fun money to spend/invest else where....last 5 years
    Stock market effect ? look at the low coin prices from the crash created 2008-2009
    Hard to invest in coins over long run .. buying at retail and selling at wholesale

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

The arrival or departure of a single "whale" in the Mt. Everest (or at least K2) portion of the coin market can cause wild price swings. The very high end dealers know who is active and who is not so take out your copy of PRAVDA and read it carefully.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

@10000lakes said:
    All it takes is one whale and a potted plant and you have a bull market in coins.

I've often wondered just how active the potted plants are in the coin auction market. Quite a few years back I was involved with oriental rugs and used two different auction houses in an attempt (note the word attempt) to sell some of them. In both cases I sat in the auction and thought I saw all of the rugs sell. Well, the potted plants must have been especially active in those auctions because in one case all of the rugs were returned unsold and in the other half of the rugs were returned unsold. The rugs that did sell at the second auction all went very cheap vs. my cost. (I later sold most of the rugs on eBay. They sold but the loss was substantial. I have never touched another oriental rug since.)

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2017 2:09PM

@10000lakes said:
    All it takes is one whale and a potted plant and you have a bull market in coins.

Don't forget the fertilizer......for the potted plant.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was able to pick up a nice CBH, because its former owner got rid of it when he picked up one in a higher grade from the Pogue auction I'm guessing in early 2016. Others may be able to do likewise.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:

@10000lakes said:

I've often wondered just how active the potted plants are in the coin auction market. Quite a few years back I was involved with oriental rugs and used two different auction houses in an attempt (note the word attempt) to sell some of them. In both cases I sat in the auction and thought I saw all of the rugs sell. Well, the potted plants must have been especially active in those auctions because in one case all of the rugs were returned unsold and in the other half of the rugs were returned unsold. The rugs that did sell at the second auction all went very cheap vs. my cost. (I later sold most of the rugs on eBay. They sold but the loss was substantial. I have never touched another oriental rug since.)

same thing .. Buying re

@291fifth said:
    The arrival or departure of a single "whale" in the Mt. Everest (or at least K2) portion of the coin market can cause wild price swings. The very high end dealers know who is active and who is not so take out your copy of PRAVDA and read it carefully.

My dealer friend accidentally spilled the beans about his best customer .. He said his best customer ..the one that doesn't use max bid limits ..spent over a 7 figure amount on coins in 2016 ..for coins he bought at auction or from dealer himself acting as middleman .. Whale indeed

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why are soooo many collectors soooo concerned about coins that real people cannot afford to buy to begin with?

Unfortunately it seems that the concept of quality for the grade needs to be reconsidered with greater emphasis that coins matter

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm no whale, but always go on a buying spree after making a bundle in the stock market or when PM bullion spikes. It's not hard to imagine collectors at all levels doing similar, in general and aggregate terms.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    Why are soooo many collectors soooo concerned about coins that real people cannot afford to buy to begin with?

Unfortunately it seems that the concept of quality for the grade needs to be reconsidered with greater emphasis that coins matter

That concept directly impacts considerations involving future upgrade potential. If it's nearly zilch (meaning the coin looks like a B or C (vs. A) grade), then go sanitize your hands and move on.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options

I believe that the half cents from the Missouri Cabinet sale were extremely high for some of the common coins.

Bill
    Coin Junkie

cameoproofcoins.com
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The market always boils down to two things... available funds and demand for product. Take either away and you have no market. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2017 12:36PM

If the market is over saturated with material and sellers liquidating with a smaller base of people who will pay the money there is very little retail and no upward market movement except items tied to bullion. Eventually the bids fall until demand catches up with supply. Of course many coins will be repackaged or stickered but like a fading blonde a trip to the beauty shop is not enough to head off unfavorable market conditions.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    caddyshackcaddyshack Posts: 115 ✭✭

If you are not popular and you are a whale, yes you can be run up.

After the ridiculous Blue Moon today, Pogue will be what Legend said.

• Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@caddyshack said:
    If you are not popular and you are a whale, yes you can be run up.

After the ridiculous Blue Moon today, Pogue will be what Legend said.

What was ridiculous???

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everything strong except the 1794$1. I got blown out of the water on all six Gobrecht dollars that I bid on

• Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought a lot of the proof set stuff went for so so. True original didn't seem to play well if it didn't have that sparkle. Some of the gold as well.

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's no doubt that people spend more freely on coins when they are feeling richer, as they are now. And there's no doubt that some people are taking profits in the stock market and looking for a place to put the money. However, none of this has anything to do with the market being "thin". Even if every person on the face of the earth collected coins, the stock market would have a similar impact on the coin market.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

at Hammer: a 5C 1903 PCGS PR66 CAM at $3,800.00, a 1897 10C PCGS PR67 selling for $6+ G, a 1880 PCGS PR65 DC CAC TD selling for $15G , as TDN said the Gobrechts selling stupid-for dark but extremely rare coins. The 1888 Pr set brought $29G -which is 2.5x what the grades relate.

In the end it was like throwing fresh meat to hungry lions-did not matter too much what the coins looked like.

• Options
    caddyshackcaddyshack Posts: 115 ✭✭

legend was dead on about pogue too-no one expected the prices realized

• Options
    privaterarecoincollectorprivaterarecoincollector Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2017 2:02AM

Legend cost me probably 750.000 USD in Pogue and I cost them some USD too. We were bidding on the same coins all the time. They just were bidding totally insane prices on the coins I needed, like the 1793 Liberty Cap PCGS 58 they got at 940k and I think the coin is worth 450k. I think from 450k to 940k it was just Legend and me - I was the underbidder.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file