Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thought on this 1867 Rays Proof 66 CAC

TrazTraz Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 28, 2017 6:52PM in U.S. Coin Forum

This 1867 PR66 Rays proof was up for sale back in 2012 FUN and I missed bidding on it since I had some other purchases. It sold for $109,250.00.

Just back in 2015, January, a 66 non CAC sold for around 65k, and another in 2014, January for 76k.

The same coin is coming back and will be for sale in Schaumburg. I'm going to check it out since I live in a nearby suburb. Anyone want to take a stab at what it might go for judging by just the price history and image?

I really want to add this to my collection, however I've been offered a PR65CAM CAC which is nice in it's own right. I hate being a 'registry wh....' but when I was starting my shield nickel set, and liberty nickel set (both proof sets) a lot of them were 'top pop'. Both populations went absolutely bonkers in the last few years, but I don't see 1867 Rays population becoming inflated due to the number of them.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very impressive example.
    Too bad the slab is scuffed up on the rev.
    What do you make of that little divet to the left of 5 on the rev?
    Not my series, btw.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options

@sparky64 said:
    What do you make of that little divet to the left of 5 on the rev?

I don't know to be honest with you. The planchet looks pitted around 10-11. This is one of the reasons I've been hesitant about this piece. The non CAC piece that sold in '15 looks better eye appeal wise. I guess this might be one of those things that I'll just have to wait and see when I view it in person!!

• Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

My suggestion is don't bother with the sticker. Get the coin that you like.

• Options

@afford said:
    The so-called scuffs look like graffiti.

The scuffs on the 'T' in 'Cents' and on the bottom of '5' are graffiti?? Huh?

• Options

@ChrisRx said:
    My suggestion is don't bother with the sticker. Get the coin that you like.

It's not a CAC or non CAC thing. There is no non CAC piece coming up for auction.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2017 7:30PM

Almost looks like a planchet defect to the left of the 5. Best case is it's clashing of some sort (if even possible). Not a fan of the brown streaking across the obverse and then the carbon spots (?) around the left obv leaves. For PF66 CAC money I'd expect more in a 66 shield nickel. I'm evaluating this as if it were an an 1868 though. I don't believe in different standards for the earlier type. In 2012 there were no doubt more REG set chasers after this one. Who knows today though? If you've got a killer PF65 on tap, you might consider that too if this 66 is not far and away a superior coin.

Considering there are 4X as many PF66 Cams as PF66 non-Cams, I'm not sure that "cam" is worth the extra 13% in price guide. For that premium, I'd want a Cam+, nothing that just made it. Only 2 - 66 Cams have stickered, none for the non-CAMs. I'd like to see how the other 66 Cam compared.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2017 9:37PM

Thanks for some good thoughts. Going to pass on this unless in hand it different but I doubt it. Going to grab something else...

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

For what might be a significant price, I believe you can find a better specimen....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that it will go for less than last time.

• Options
    tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭✭

I like the pictures of the coin, I'm not sure what it will sell for, but I would guess something less than the 2012 price. I am definitely going to view this lot, it could be a very nice coin.

• Options

@tyler267 said:
    I like the pictures of the coin, I'm not sure what it will sell for, but I would guess something less than the 2012 price. I am definitely going to view this lot, it could be a very nice coin.

Do you live in the area or are you coming out here? As a dealer or personal collection?

• Options

Collector and I live in the City

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not buy anything which I consider to be pricey unless I think the coin is solid for the grade, AND.....I don't anticipate a large number of new ones to be 'made' in the not too distant future.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options

@tradedollarnut said:
    Talk about a classic rarity that got destroyed by certified pops! There are enough of them out there that prices are falling and you can pick and choose the perfect example for you. Do not settle!

I think the mintage used to be estimated at 25 or so coins. Based on current pops and the research that indicates restrikes were made, it is pretty clear that more than 25 were struck. I still like the coin and need one for my nickel set, but I'm not in on this coin at the 2012 price, based on the pic I do think the coin could look nice in hand.

• Options
    AmazonXAmazonX Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

Shield Nickel collector here(Also in the Chicagoland area, I'm surprised that there are 3 of us in the same area).

I like it. Don't see any issues with it that would cause me to pass on it.

As for your dilemma, ignore the registry, ignore the grades, ignore the plastic. Assume that you will be completely buried in whichever coin you pick. Which coin would you be happy to have for the next 50 years? Now you got your answer.

• Options
    howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

1867WR proofs were made multiple times over multiple years. John Dannreuther has been cataloguing them:

http://www.shieldnickels.net/articles/Dannreuther-67WRProofs.pdf

It is not the rarity it is claimed to be. That honor likely goes to the 1867NR proof with the prototype reverse. Read my article here:

http://www.shieldnickels.net/articles/ANA1867Proofs/errata.html

Another article from Sunnywood:

http://www.shieldnickels.net/articles/1867proofs/67proofs.html

For the money, I don't like the coin in question. The reverse is not up to par.

Because of the above research, prices on 67WR Proofs have come down. And prices on the 67NR prototype reverse proofs have gone up, but they are still affordable (if you can find one!).

• Options

Yikes. Took a beating...see original link.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file