Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Possible U.S. Mint Experimental 1943 Copper Coated Steel Cent - An eBay find!

124»

Comments

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    OP is showing conflicting/different metallurgical reports. I guess we can pick the one we like. :*

Both are proving it’s not copper coated steel. One shows less than half of 1% copper and the other show 0% copper, if I’m reading them right.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    good on you for coming back
    good on you for saying it was denied

when you get your resubmission back it will be denied again. the fact that the coin is iron(steel) with the next major metal as zinc should tell you it is a very discolored yet common 1943 steel cent.

it says 1% manganese too. you're not claiming it's manganese plated. what about the silver? see where I'm going?

@JBK said:
    OP is showing conflicting/different metallurgical reports. I guess we can pick the one we like. :*

Those are 2 different people posting

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2024 3:03PM

@JBK said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    The plot thickens

Cast of characters
    the OP - boyernumismatics who hasn't posted in years
    the current test results on paper - Deannalea1976 who is relatively new here and was first a contestant on this thread in 2019
    the NGC submitter who posted the screenshot of the electronic results - 23Vasquez23 who is new but just resurrected this

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Slade01Slade01 Posts: 288 ✭✭✭

This thread got a lot of posts for a fabulous find ON EBAY. :D

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2024 2:13AM

A copper-coated steel cent test piece would likely have the copper plated directly onto the steel (but that is not 100% guaranteed). Normal 1943 steel cents have zinc plating.

So if it could be determined that the coin never had a zinc plating under the copper plating, than that would indicate that it is a genuine experimental coin.

• Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Deannalea1976 said:
    Experimental Lincoln cents. Not the steel cents.
    Are there any other experimental Lincoln cents from 1942 or 1943?

https://mikebyers.com/12229741.html

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options

Just to prove your wrong and I left by the window of my house where the sunlight would hit it direct just to see what would happen and the bronze bleed out of the coin but after I removed it, it seemed to absorb it back into the coin. When the coin is tested, results will show that nothing was altered or done to the coin. Test results won’t lie.

• Options

You’re not gonna tell me 1943 steel cents have copper/bronze. That’s the only coin the US mint that doesn’t contain copper what’s so ever.

• Options

And whatever results your posting up are just of coins the US mint made, has nothing to do with the Errors and experimental coins which in most case the won’t be a much of a history unless someone discovers a certain coin. Most error and experimental coins vary in the amount of metal materials that are in it because they were suppose to have been done.

• Options

The officer that conducted the test on the coin explained to me very well in details about the coin that’s why the coin will be resubmitted. If results would have been negative then I would not even consider resubmitting the coin. At the end anyone can say anything but the graders and results will have the final decision.

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

@23Vasquez23 said:
    The officer that conducted the test on the coin explained to me very well in details about the coin that’s why the coin will be resubmitted. If results would have been negative then I would not even consider resubmitting the coin. At the end anyone can say anything but the graders and results will have the final decision.

Thanks. We crave your garbage.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

@23Vasquez23 said:

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I was a kid there was a store in the local mall called Kay Bee Toy & Hobby. They had a small case of coins which included a pile of copper plated 1943 steels that they sold for 75 cents per. To this day I still occasionally see one of them in the hands of an excited owner who thinks they hit the lottery. Of course these all fail the magnet test but many do have a good look to them due to the copper coating having darkened over time.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

@23Vasquez23 said:
    Just to prove your wrong and I left by the window of my house where the sunlight would hit it direct just to see what would happen and the bronze bleed out of the coin but after I removed it, it seemed to absorb it back into the coin.

Say whaaaat? 😵‍💫 😳

• Options
    NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭✭

@23Vasquez23 said:
    Just to prove your wrong and I left by the window of my house where the sunlight would hit it direct just to see what would happen and the bronze bleed out of the coin but after I removed it, it seemed to absorb it back into the coin. When the coin is tested, results will show that nothing was altered or done to the coin. Test results won’t lie.

Haha, I would have loved to see a Timelapse video of the bronze bleeding out in the sunlight and being “absorbed” back in when out of the light. That must have been a sight to see!

In all seriousness there is nothing correct information wise in these last few posts. I don’t think this is going to have the outcome you like, but as I always say, good luck!

New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭

@23Vasquez23 said:

The only substance that would ever "bleed out" of this piece would be a chemical darkener. Bronze doesn't "bleed out".

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are literally thousands of 1943 steel cents that have been copper plated to be sold to collectors as a novelty. Many of these cents wound up in circulation and some experienced surface deterioration similar to what I see on your coin. Until this coin is slabbed by one of the major grading services, this coin will only be worth face value the coin collecting community.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

Well I got the results myself and everything is confirmed now the coin will get retested by the grading company just to make it official.

• Options

Even when supposedly the coins were copper coated, the zinc would be removed before plated the coin. This coin has the zinc. Either way well when everything is finalized, il post results for sure.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

@23Vasquez23 said:
    Even when supposedly the coins were copper coated, the zinc would be removed before plated the coin. This coin has the zinc. Either way well when everything is finalized, il post results for sure.

Like the results you have been promising to post on the NGC forum for the past three months? :D Better odds that men will be living on the moon before you post any update.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

With .39% being the total content of copper in the Lincoln, there isn’t enough copper available to coat the coin.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

@23Vasquez23 said:

There were several different companies that copper plated the 1943 steel cent and I'm sure some didn't bother to completely strip the zinc coating. When you send it to PCGS or NGC for slabbing, I suggest requesting that their conservation service look at it to remove any active corrosion. It'll still get a details grade but they may be able to improve your coin's appearance.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope that you, @23Vasquez23 are correct. You are a serious numismatist stuck in a forum with a bunch of meming clowns. Post your finds in other forums of better repute. Come back with or without the prize.

• Options
    JRGeyerJRGeyer Posts: 136 ✭✭✭

@23Vasquez23 said:

Has your coin been previously submitted?

• Options
    SaamSaam Posts: 475 ✭✭✭

If you really think it's something special and/or different, quit handing it with your bare hands. Put it in a sleeve or 2X2.

• Options
    NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭✭

@Saam said:
    If you really think it's something special and/or different, quit handing it with your bare hands. Put it in a sleeve or 2X2.

While decent advice, believe everyone, this really has no bearing here! Can’t really do any more damage numismatically from a value of 2 cents to 2 cents! 😜

New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two different people posting

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    Married2CoinsMarried2Coins Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

@23Vasquez23 said:
    You’re not gonna tell me 1943 steel cents have copper/bronze. That’s the only coin the US mint that doesn’t contain copper what’s so ever.

It looks like a rusted (dirty copper colored is the way they come) 1943 1C. Good luck to you. I have about 5 just like yours.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... 7 year old thread and the updated version looks to be a different coin than the OPs... unless it took that long to scrub the fingerprints. I'm guessing two different copper plated steel cents...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wait, I think that I miscontextualized that last meme—

@23Vasquez23 said:
    The officer that conducted the test on the coin…

• Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭

This has been a strange thread over the years. I've clicked on it every single time it gets resurrected. This latest chapter is the best though. Coins bleeding bronze from window sunlight! Coin Officers!

I store this one on the front of my refrigerator.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

$500,000 !

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭

The wife says I should keep it. Too essential in my "Greasy Finger Collection".

• Options
    LOCK34LOCK34 Posts: 131 ✭✭✭

@23Vasquez23 said:

Please post your name and the results of your three day walkthrough at NGC as you have promised to do for many months now but have failed to do. Thank you.

• Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread is a magnet for new, uninformed members.

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.

• Options
    LOCK34LOCK34 Posts: 131 ✭✭✭

Go to the NGC forum and read his posts over there :D:D:D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file