Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A Long-Awaited Book Announcement (1792 Pattern Coinage)

CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

1792: Birth of a Nation's Coinage, a comprehensive study of the U.S. coinage of 1792, is now available from Heritage. Order at https://ha.com/boanc.

In addition to extensive historical context, this work includes a thorough census of every known piece of coinage emitted by the Mint in 1792, several hundred examples total.

The authors are Pete Smith, Joel Orosz, and Leonard Augsburger.

Comments

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Buy Now: $40

Any promotional examples to post so I can see your prose?

J/W

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Order placed!

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonderful! Wunderbar! Formidable! 精彩! чудовий! Ihana! "Pretty good, Joe!"

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was happy to receive a book already, and it is excellent.
    The census of every known Mint issue of 1792 includes photos of just about every coin, including hundreds of 1792 half dismes.
    A wonderful book and well worth adding to your library!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't wait!

• Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinasaurus Thanks for the link; I just purchased a copy.

Mark

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing!

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

Purchased!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    KoinickerKoinicker Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

I can't wait......

• Options
    msch1manmsch1man Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭

Finally! Thanks for the link...just ordered a copy.

• Options

I'm not sure about this Leonard Augsburger dude but the other chaps are aces ; )

Just ordered a copy and I wish everybody with an empty spot on their numismatic book shelf would do the same! Who is with me?

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Purchased.... Thanks for the alert.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Purchased along with the book on Eric P. Newman.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:
    I'm not sure about this Leonard Augsburger dude but the other chaps are aces ; )

Yes, there's probably a reason his name is at the end ;)

Bill J - I like your twofer!

• Options
    WDPWDP Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ordering now!

W. David Perkins Numismatics - http://www.davidperkinsrarecoins.com/ - 25+ Years ANA, ANS, NLG, NBS, LM JRCS, LSCC, EAC, TAMS, LM CWTS, CSNS, FUN

• Options
    JohnFJohnF Posts: 273 ✭✭✭✭

I was able to see an early production copy of the book and it's fantastic.

John Feigenbaum
    Whitman Brands: President/CEO (www.greysheet.com; www.whitman.com)
    PNG: Executive Director (www.pngdealers.org)
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Purchased. Thanks for posting this.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't wait to read it!

Congratulations. I see the BOTY award from the NLG in your future.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinosaurus said:

@Justacommeman said:

Never heard of this last dude either, but I went ahead and ordered the book anyway!

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options

@Coinosaurus said:

@Justacommeman said:

Bill J - I like your twofer!

If it's good enough for Bill I'm in on the double as well

M

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2017 9:14PM

I'm currently reading "Hamilton" by Ron Chernow and "Robert Scot" by William Nyberg.

It is interesting that The Treasury didn't get the Mint under its arm. Jefferson as Secretary of State took the reins of the Mint. At the time Hamilton had pressed though his bill assuming the state's debt into the national debt. A benefit when you think of it, but the Virginians had repaid most of their debt and this was seen as gift to the Northern states. This "Assumption Bill" cemented a large national Government as a reality. Jefferson and Madison were vehemently opposed to the big Government Hamilton was making. So the Mint fell under the Secretary of State.

It was the start of the two-party system.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options

The placement of the Mint under State is a interesting point that isn't fully explained in the surviving papers. Was Washington trying to balance things out? Did Hamilton not have any interest in the physical manufacturing of money? Was Jefferson trying to undermine Hamilton by getting control of the Mint? Or did all of them just consider it a trifle and no big deal? It represented only a small appropriation by the federal government.

Although not recorded anywhere, I suspect Jefferson was given "first right of coinage" by Washington, resulting in his deposit of $75 at the Mint on July 11, 1792.

• Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭

Anything written by the Coinsosaurus is excellent.

Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options

@Coinosaurus said:
    The placement of the Mint under State is a interesting point that isn't fully explained in the surviving papers. Was Washington trying to balance things out? Did Hamilton not have any interest in the physical manufacturing of money? Was Jefferson trying to undermine Hamilton by getting control of the Mint? Or did all of them just consider it a trifle and no big deal? It represented only a small appropriation by the federal government.

Although not recorded anywhere, I suspect Jefferson was given "first right of coinage" by Washington, resulting in his deposit of $75 at the Mint on July 11, 1792.

Interesting points.

If we look at details of how European nations handled coinage and especially the manufacturing functions, we might consider that Hamilton did not want the new US Mint in his portfolio. Thus, it was assigned to Jefferson as a convenient side-event that related more to European coinage than did Hamilton’s finance approach. Today, we might think of that as ludicrous – coins were money – but the actual manufacturing was, in Europe, largely contracted to businesses and guilds. That being the 18th century model, the State Department would have equal or better access to foreign ideas and technology than the Treasury. Hamilton’s charter was finance – not “money.”

Just some thoughts….

• Options

Mailed my order in today.

• Options

@RogerB said:

If we look at details of how European nations handled coinage and especially the manufacturing functions, we might consider that Hamilton did not want the new US Mint in his portfolio. Thus, it was assigned to Jefferson as a convenient side-event that related more to European coinage than did Hamilton’s finance approach. Today, we might think of that as ludicrous – coins were money – but the actual manufacturing was, in Europe, largely contracted to businesses and guilds. That being the 18th century model, the State Department would have equal or better access to foreign ideas and technology than the Treasury. Hamilton’s charter was finance – not “money.”

Good points. Also, Jefferson was the guy that had been in Europe as Minister to France, had worked with various parties on the Comitia medals, etc. There was some thought given, in the early days, to recruiting European coiners to the U.S. So Jefferson was a more natural choice than might seem today.

If you look at Hamilton's 1790 paper founders.archives.gov/documents/Hamilton/01-07-02-0334-0004 it talks a lot of about monetary theory and not much at all about how to actually manufacture money.

• Options

State Dept. also had people in major European capitals where the primary mints were located. Jefferson was a practical person - not good with finances - but good with making application of ideas, theory and inventions of others (and his own).

Further, the Philadelphia Mint moved to Treasury after it had become established as a government manufactory, and the British and French prototypes had been rejected. In later years, DM Moore wrote to Jefferson asking about early concepts of coin designs. (Of course, it was tough to get an answer from Hamilton in 1824/5....)

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ordered!

Thanks for your hard work, Coinosaurus.
    Lance.

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2017 4:10PM

@Coinosaurus said:
    1792: Birth of a Nation's Coinage, a comprehensive study of the U.S. coinage of 1792, is now available from Heritage. Order at https://ha.com/boanc.

In addition to extensive historical context, this work includes a thorough census of every known piece of coinage emitted by the Mint in 1792, several hundred examples total.

The authors are Pete Smith, Joel Orosz, and Leonard Augsburger.

Just ordered this and the Newman book too. Delivery date will be in 2 to 3 weeks though. :(

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    edited March 26, 2017 11:02AM

Got my copy yesterday!
    I am busy reading Appendix 1, concerning the transition in pronouncing disme from 'deem' to 'dime'. This will be another book that I will have to have hardbound.

• Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

Just ordered a copy and I wish everybody with an empty spot on their numismatic book shelf would do the same! Who is with me?

mark

I'm waiting for my copies to be delivered! (One for reading, and one for reference when the other is tattered. ;) )

BTW, Len Augsburger is a researcher par excellence! The book has been years in the making, and I expect it will be well worth the wait!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I received mine yesterday... Great book and well worth the investment....will be going through it in detail over the next couple of weeks... Cheers, RickO

• Options

I received my copy today. Holy crap! If this book does not receive the numismatic book of the year award something is wrong.

• Options

I am certain that it will receive an award. This is an important book, one that deals with topics that were inadequately (if at all) covered in numismatic literature that preceded it.

• Options
    LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

I've had my copy over a week ago & it looked
    like it was going to be weeks to get here.
    It is way larger than I expected & filled with
    information & very good coin pics.

My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options

Still waiting. ugh

• Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭

Just ordered a copy, and can't wait to begin reading it. Previous tomes by these authors have been excellent, and I expect the same will be true in this thoroughly researched reference.

They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options

Certainly the "Book of the Year."

• Options

The first day that I received this book I stayed up well past my bedtime reading. It is a very fascinating book. If you have not ordered one you need to do so today.

• Options

Mine showed up yesterday, I started on it last night. I really love these "history" books.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file