Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

51-D W.Q. die crack, '54-S and '56 cent errors

AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 20, 2017 12:47PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Found this guy earlier today. I thought it was pretty neat and figured I'd share.

Also found this 1954 Lincoln cent with a cud in Liberty and a weird S.

Then this guy.. I never knew until today.. I really hope you can see the brockage.

First issue is the obvious filled 9. On the reverse, T in Cent has a cud at the base. The IT as shown is thin in UNITED, with a cud on that T, too. I turned the coin and discovered a bit of brockage. You can see Lincoln through the reverse when you turn it in the light. Neat!

...really hope you guys and gals can see!

Comments

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just for clarification, die chips are not cuds.

A cud has to involve the edge of the die face,
    where it manifests itself as a blob of metal where
    the Die piece broke off, and the metal flows into
    the area where there is no die metal.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options

Ohhhh...! That makes cents now =) Funny how you can read a bunch and not get it and someone pumps out a few sentences and it clicks. Thanks ;)

Neat little errors though huh? I think they're cool. I wish you guys and ladies could see Lincoln through the last cent pictured.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

In that picture, I cannot see what you refer to (Lincoln)....Are you saying it is a clashed die? Or something else?
    Cheers, RickO

• Options

Darn, I guess you guys can't see him =(

I am not sure if it's brockage or a thin planchet, but you can make out his shirt and surrounding areas of his head through the back of the last wheat posted.

This happened on a 60-D I had. You can see the memorial outlines through the front but won't photograph at all. I've tried reflecting yellow blue and magenta.

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you weigh the coin?.

• Options

3.1041g

Maybe this picture helps.. I hate this I can see it when I hold it but you guys can't see his head in USA or coat at One Cent pointing towards 11:00 and 1:00.

It's a joke of a picture since you likely can't see. I tried reflecting navy blue off of white this time.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file