Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Mike Ellis and Gary Adkins running for ANA President

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 18, 2017 11:13PM in U.S. Coin Forum

There two candidates for ANA President this year, Mike Ellis and Gary Adkins.

Numismatic News announced Mike's candidacy on Jan 10 and Gary's on Jan 23.

Any thoughts on these two candidates and the future direction of the ANA?

Mike Ellis

Summary:

• Promoting on Summer Seminar, museum, Internet and shows
  • Putting some distance between ANA and PNG
  • Less focus on lawsuits

Gary Adkins

Summary:

• Tight partnership with ICTA (currently on the board, previous chairman) and PNG (previous President)
  • Focus on education, consumer protection and club outreach
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to see a platform that includes -1 bring more YN into and enjoying our hobby, 2- increasing attendances at local, regional and national coin shows, 3- protecting our hobby from counterfeiting and dishonest dealers 4- bring more educational forums in all parts of the country 5- increasing the ANA membership and 6- getting collectors and dealers involved in local, regional and national coin clubs. Game on!

Easton Collection
  • Options
    VeepVeep Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭

I don't know Mike but have done business with a Gary for years. He is the model for what a coin dealer should be. He has fought hard against intrusive legislation that negatively affects our hobby and done so at personal sacrifice and risk. He's a level headed thinker that you can talk to and will listen and is dedicated to the future health of our hobby. I'm voting for Gary.

"Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • Options
    JohnFJohnF Posts: 273 ✭✭✭✭

I think ANA should direct most of its efforts and resources to beefing up membership. That is everything to this organization and new ideas and efforts are needed.

John Feigenbaum
    Whitman Brands: President/CEO (www.greysheet.com; www.whitman.com)
    PNG: Executive Director (www.pngdealers.org)
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two good people. I have known Gary longer and will probably vote for him, but the ANA would be well served by either candidate.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

It has been awhile since there has been a contested election for President of the ANA.

• Options
    edited March 19, 2017 9:59AM

Great thoughts and replies everyone.

The following is a compilation of items of mentioned by @EastonCollection, @Veep, and @JohnF:

• YNs: bring more YN into and enjoying our hobby
    • Shows: increasing attendances at local, regional and national coin shows
    • Counterfeiting and Dishonesty: protecting our hobby from counterfeiting and dishonest dealers
    • Education: bring more educational forums in all parts of the country
    • ANA membership: increasing the ANA membership
    • Clubs: getting collectors and dealers involved in local, regional and national coin clubs
    • Legislation: Fight against intrusive legislation
    • Sacrifice: Putting it on the line with personal sacrifice and risk

Are there other topics we should add to the above list?

How do the candidates fare on the list above?

• Options
    edited March 19, 2017 10:33AM

@RichieURich said:
    Just a note. I am not expressing an opinion on the following, just pointing it out. And I don't know if Mr. Ellis's thoughts on this topic have changed since January 2013.

On January 17, 2013, when Mike Ellis was running for ANA Governor, part of his platform was:

"Additionally, it seems there is always ongoing discussion regarding show dates. For quite a few years now many large coin shows have become ghost towns by Saturday afternoon. This should be the day that entertains the majority of the public and when it is so empty feeling on Saturday afternoon it breaks my heart. No amount of discussion will ever change my mind. I believe dealers must be made to stay all day on Saturday. How do we make this happen? I really do not know but I highly recommend we try running shows where Saturday falls in the middle of the show!"

That is a good note @RichUrich.

The situation with dealers leaving shows early has been discussed here several times. It seems like:

• Dealers leaving shows early is good for dealers for their travel schedule, ROI, etc.
    • Dealers leaving shows early is bad for collectors, YNs, membership, etc.

Should the ANA have dealers stay through Saturday to cater more to collectors, YNs, and to grow the hobby?

Is this still Mike's position?
    Does Gary have a position on dealers leaving shows early?

It is also interesting that Mike and Gary have different platforms with regards to the PNG. It would be good to discuss the consequences of tighter and more distant relationship with the PNG.

• Gary: tighter relationship with PNG
    • Mike: more distant relationship with PNG
  • Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

I would like to know their positions on YNs

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• Options
    edited March 19, 2017 11:15AM

@Justacommeman said:
    They need to come into the 21st century in regards to online marketing, social media and enchanched interactive website./content. That would bring more YN's

mark

• Mike mentions outreach via the Internet
    • Gary mentions outreach via local clubs

I agree with the need to do more online and the ANA could still do a lot more. I think PCGS is doing a great job with being online.

I love local clubs and think they are great but also think they have limited reach to YNs.

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@RichieURich said:
    Just a note. I am not expressing an opinion on the following, just pointing it out. And I don't know if Mr. Ellis's thoughts on this topic have changed since January 2013.

On January 17, 2013, when Mike Ellis was running for ANA Governor, part of his platform was:

"Additionally, it seems there is always ongoing discussion regarding show dates. For quite a few years now many large coin shows have become ghost towns by Saturday afternoon. This should be the day that entertains the majority of the public and when it is so empty feeling on Saturday afternoon it breaks my heart. No amount of discussion will ever change my mind. I believe dealers must be made to stay all day on Saturday. How do we make this happen? I really do not know but I highly recommend we try running shows where Saturday falls in the middle of the show!"

The situation with dealers leaving shows early has been discussed here several times. It seems like:

• Dealers leaving shows early is good for dealers for their travel schedule, ROI, etc.

Should the ANA have dealers stay through Saturday to cater more to collectors, YNs, and to grow the hobby?

It is also interesting that Mike and Gary have different platforms with regards to the PNG. It would be good to discuss the consequences of tighter and more distant relationship with the PNG.

The ANA also needs to find a way to get people there on a Saturday and make it so dealers have a reason to be there on Saturday.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2017 2:53PM

@blu62vette said:

@Zoins said:

@RichieURich said:

The ANA also needs to find a way to get people there on a Saturday and make it so dealers have a reason to be there on Saturday.

Having dealers stay through Saturday seems like it would generally be good for growing the hobby.

Which candidate would be more successful in getting more people, YN, members, etc. to show up at shows?

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most shows seem to cater to a first shift schedule (shows 9-4PM) with many wrapping it up by 1PM(annoying) even though said show is advertised until 4PM. My local show wraps up by 12:30/1PM despite advertised until 4PM. You arrive by 2PM and many of the dealers are gone. This time frame I suppose serves the majority of the population and majority rules at least most of the time. But there are many,myself included,that would like to see a fair number of later show times, say 11-6PM where the dealers stay put. If I go to Target etc. they do not close earlier than their posted times. Most retailers conform to the customer as they "pay the freight". Some can't get there early enough before the dealer's exodus. I sympathize with the travel expense concerns etc. But that goes with the territory and is known going into the business. Possibly, it may not be that lucrative to stay that late all of the time. But on occasion it would be nice if they did. And you never know who may walk in with a fistful of $ to spend. Just takes once to "make your day/table". Once a week to stay to posted times should not be too much to ask, which is why it at least could be considered on occasion to suit the needs of later arrival customers. But that is "tradition' I guess to start and end that early even though shows are advertised that they are "open" until 4-6PM. Old traditions die hard, so for those that can't get to the show early enough there is always Ebay, but I prefer on site purchasing at a show. I like shows. Think about this. As the crowd dwindles down to the remaining customers a dealer would have more time to interact with those remaining customers. And possibly cultivate a sale and perhaps promote the hobby and a future sale through the interaction, as their is more time to converse. You may not make the sale then and there, but establishing a rapport/groundwork for future sales may prove fruitful. BTW sportcards shows engage in a similar routine of closing "shop" earlier than posted time. Question to the show dealers here:Have evening shows been tried on occasion and what were the results? Sorry if I strayed from the thread topic. But I feel this concern may have some bearing on the increasing of hobby interest for those of us who are not "first shifters".

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

They want to get some major shows in areas where there are none now, and haven't been for a long while, and I will think about joining them again.

I joined a few years ago. I got the Numismatist mag, and it was ok. I didn't find it "great". I didn't use any of the other "benefits" then, and likely wouldn't right now either.

So, they have nothing for me other than me helping to "promote" the ANA and possibly the hobby. However, they created such problems that they are having to currently deal with that I don't see a reason to help the ANA out. It may sound cold/mean/bad/whatever, but I am sure others feel like I do as well.

A bunch of the same people, insiders and such, that have a "business as usual" type of thing going on that does nothing for many of us.

Again, stop with the excuses and find a way to get some of the major shows in large metropolitan areas that have been ignored for the last 10-20-30+ years. No excuses. Get it done. THEN maybe some of the membership will increase.

Would be interesting to see, in addition to age pockets of membership, the regional pockets of membership. Heavist in areas where the major shows have been shoved in, year in and year out? Light in the other areas?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

No matter which candidate you support, having a contest election should be good for the hobby vs. having a pre-selected president being anointed with a single vote as has been the case for several years now.

Have not made a decision on which candidate to support... will wait to hear what they have to say... plenty of time!

:+1:

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Question to the show dealers here:Have evening shows been tried on occasion and what were the results? Sorry if I strayed from the thread topic. But I feel this concern may have some bearing on the increasing of hobby interest for those of us who are not "first shifters".

I don't know if evening shows have been attempted, but as a dealer I wouldn't be thrilled about taking my stuff out to my vehicle in the dark. But you do make a good point, not everyone can get to a show Thursday or Friday or very early Saturday.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    edited March 19, 2017 3:29PM

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Most shows seem to cater to a first shift schedule (shows 9-4PM) with many wrapping it up by 1PM(annoying) even though said show is advertised until 4PM. My local show wraps up by 12:30/1PM despite advertised until 4PM. You arrive by 2PM and many of the dealers are gone. This time frame I suppose serves the majority of the population and majority rules at least most of the time. But there are many,myself included,that would like to see a fair number of later show times, say 11-6PM where the dealers stay put. If I go to Target etc. they do not close earlier than their posted times. Most retailers conform to the customer as they "pay the freight". Some can't get there early enough before the dealer's exodus. I sympathize with the travel expense concerns etc. But that goes with the territory and is known going into the business. Possibly, it may not be that lucrative to stay that late all of the time. But on occasion it would be nice if they did. And you never know who may walk in with a fistful of $ to spend. Just takes once to "make your day/table". Once a week to stay to posted times should not be too much to ask, which is why it at least could be considered on occasion to suit the needs of later arrival customers. But that is "tradition' I guess to start and end that early even though shows are advertised that they are "open" until 4-6PM. Old traditions die hard, so for those that can't get to the show early enough there is always Ebay, but I prefer on site purchasing at a show. I like shows. Think about this. As the crowd dwindles down to the remaining customers a dealer would have more time to interact with those remaining customers. And possibly cultivate a sale and perhaps promote the hobby and a future sale through the interaction, as their is more time to converse. You may not make the sale then and there, but establishing a rapport/groundwork for future sales may prove fruitful. BTW sportcards shows engage in a similar routine of closing "shop" earlier than posted time. Question to the show dealers here:Have evening shows been tried on occasion and what were the results? Sorry if I strayed from the thread topic. But I feel this concern may have some bearing on the increasing of hobby interest for those of us who are not "first shifters".

Agree it's not ideal to have many dealers closing down at 1PM when a show is advertised to 4pm. Seems like either of the following would be better:

• Have everyone stay until 4PM
    • End the show for everyone at 1PM

Malls require all stores to be open during times the mall is open. Either of the above options would make it more friendly for collectors.

• Options
    TheDukeKTheDukeK Posts: 359 ✭✭✭

Sure in a perfect world they would all stay but the world isn't perfect.

Most dealers are older and do you think they should be driving through the middle of the night?
    Or have 2nd jobs that they need to be back for on Monday's
    Or have flights to catch and flying a red eye with merchandise doesn't sound smart.

But mainly the traffic gets so slow it's not worth it to stay I bet. Now chicken or egg there I don't know but it's a very old discussion that will never be fixed I think.

• Options
    msch1manmsch1man Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭

@illini420 said:
    No matter which candidate you support, having a contest election should be good for the hobby vs. having a pre-selected president being anointed with a single vote as has been the case for several years now.

Couldn't agree more!

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a video that was posted today from the ANA Candidates' Forum that was held in Orlando if you want to hear more from the candidates themselves... if you have about two hours to kill :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjJ0NjQLk2k
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

(Old man voice): "I remember when they were fighting to keep dealers at shows on....SUNDAY!!!" Shaking my fist

They gave up, cancelled Sunday hours, and as a result, you have the same issue on Saturday. Someone put them under contract! Full day on Saturday seems like a no-brainer when most locals can't make a show during the week!!

I think the differing opinions on PNG relationship is an interesting topic to look into further. It seems like a point of differentiation, anyway!

(All that being said....I was an ANA member for 4 or 5 years 10 or 15 years ago, then lapsed. I should be ignored). :)

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

Agree it's not ideal to have many dealers closing down at 1PM when a show is advertised to 4pm. Seems like either of the following would be better:

Malls require all stores to be open during times the mall is open. Either of the above options would make it more friendly for collectors.

If they don't stay till the posted closing time, they should either be charged an additional table fee or some other sort of slap on the wrist.

I agree 100% with the points @EastonCollection mentioned.

I also think that the ANA should set up a portal for registries. That would help ALL collectors get involved and participate, regardless of the plastic that their coins are housed in...

I also agree with @Bochiman and his point on having the headliner shows in the same old cities and then dealers complain about poor sales or foot traffic. Why is there no major show in New England? Between NYC, CT and Boston, there are 10,000,000+ people with a very high concentration of wealth but no major shows WTF?!?

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

Many Malls that require all stores to be open is one reason MANY malls are failing?
    Stores stay open because there is business is there.
    Show promoters advertise show hours not the dealers.
    Collector need step up and support both the dealers and shows.
    I decide when I leave I have driven 18+ hours to set up.
    When I drive more than 2 hours I plan when I leave based on safety and security.
    Dealers Pay for the shows NOT the collectors. Why should I stay for a $5.00 sale in 2 hours?

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2017 6:44PM

@illini420 said:
    Here's a video that was posted today from the ANA Candidates' Forum that was held in Orlando if you want to hear more from the candidates themselves... if you have about two hours to kill :)

I watched a portion of this. In my opinion it's safe to say that nothing dramatic is going to change at the president or board of governors level. Im severely underwhelmed. Business as usual. Clueless. Sad really. What an old boy pay your dues organization.

Fresh leadership is needed. People outside the industry are needed. A marketing director is needed. An outside consultant is needed. A social media director is needed.

Grrrrrrr

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree - nice to have a choice.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think both would make good presidents; however, this election is going to be a popularity poll. Gary will win in a landslide.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is more exciting than March Madness.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know Mike-he'd be a good choice. But I've heard so many good things about Mr Adkins that I'm sure he'd be a good choice, too.

• Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

@illini420 Thanks for posting the video. It was interesting, enlightening, and helped me make up my mind about some of my votes. It was especially interesting at the almost very end when the question about dealers versus collectors was asked by the audience. Gary Adkins had, in my opinion, an excellent answer. And, once again in my opinion, Paul Montgomery's answer was weak.

Mark

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been a member.... not likely to continue. I do not see value being put forth by this organization. The magazine is just not worth it. I agree with Bochiman about shows in other areas/cities..... and the comment about New England (NY/CT/Boston) having 10 million population - well, it is more like 20 million plus.... and cities such as Albany, NY, Springfield, MA, Boston, MA, Hartford, CT etc., would provide a huge base for shows.
    I also agree about the Saturday - full day - issue. Yes, it is your (dealers) business, your travel requirements... then do not complain about sales/traffic if you leave early.... Customers have schedules as well... Saturday mornings have demands on working people (family, errands, etc.) as well. Often, Saturday afternoons are a persons only real free time. If you want business, be available with good product at reasonable prices. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko I agree with you about their magazine. I find most of the stuff published in it close to worthless. I don't have the current copy with me, but as I recall there was an article on tokens issued by glass companies which was effectively a no-order listing of glass companies, with a paragraph or two description of the company and the token. Absolutely not fascinating. There also was an article about collecting toned Walking Liberty half dollars. This magnificent piece was about 3 pages and had the thrust that toned walkers can be pretty. Again, a simple waste of space. Now, my opinion may be colored by a bad experience I had with the editor, Ms. Barbara Gregory, when I had an article published in The Numismatist. She essentially had me gut it. When I think of what she forced me to eliminate and then look at the tripe that is being published...well, I would not hold the magazine up as a shining example of what the ANA does right. Contrast it with the ANS magazine, which takes even obscure topics and somehow makes them interesting. That is a fine magazine.

Mark

• Options

Whoever is President, it would be great to bring back the following gold membership medals, issued in gold only in 1954:

• Options
    edited April 1, 2017 9:03AM

Regarding one of the differences between the two candidates, closer and more distant relationship with PNG, what do people think?

• Should ANA have a more distant relationship with PNG?
    • Should ANA have a tighter relationship with PNG?

What are the consequences of a more distant or tighter relationship with the PNG?

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    I think both would make good presidents; however, this election is going to be a popularity poll. Gary will win in a landslide.

The election has always been a popularity contest (at least over the past 30+ years I have been a member). Competency at leading a national non-profit educational organization has never been a factor. It's more about who sells neat coins and who is more well known. That does not mean, however, that competent people have not been elected, it's just not a criterion for the position. I speak as a ANA life member and former ANA staff member who has had the privilege of working with excellent Board members and the joy of working with ... um ... less excellent Board members.

Both Mike and Gary are fine people who are passionate about the Association. From my experience (and to be fairly simplistic), Mike is collector-focused and Gary is dealer-focused. Neither approach is right or wrong and long as either approach doesn't ignore the other.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2017 10:38AM

@astrorat said:
    Both Mike and Gary are fine people who are passionate about the Association. From my experience (and to be fairly simplistic), Mike is collector-focused and Gary is dealer-focused. Neither approach is right or wrong and long as either approach doesn't ignore the other.

Isn't there already a dealer-focused organization in the PNG?

If the ANA is also dealer-focused (and linked to the PNG), which organization would be collector-focused?

Would it be healthy for the hobby to have no collector-focused organization?

• Options

I've gotta take the flip side of a lot of the opinions expressed here. I've been a member for years and look forward to The Numismatist every month. Is it always breaking news? Does it always have the most in-depth articles ever written? Am I interested in every story? The answer to all of the above is "no." But it alone is worth the price of membership.

The variety of topics covered has introduced me to new aspects of numismatics and definitely broadened my knowledge and enjoyment of coins, tokens, medals and currency about which I may otherwise have known nothing.

I have borrowed books, tapes and slides from the library which have furthered my interest in specific numismatic topics and have allowed me to make presentations to elementary school kids, historical society members, library patrons and senior citizens.

The shows will never please everyone but the educational opportunities available at them are unsurpassed. The grading and counterfeit detection classes are worth multiples of what it costs to attend.

I could go on and on but in my opinion membership is a tremendous value.

• Options

@veep How do you compare the ANA's magazine to the ANS's magazine?

Mark

• Options

The ANS's mag is where to go if I'm looking for in-depth articles that often contain recently discovered findings. While certain Numismatist articles provide the same research based breakthroughs, I consider it light reading for entertainment while may learn or re-learn something along the way.

If the Numismatist was only published quarterly, I assume there would be less pressure to fill pages and produce more ANS-style articles.

• Options

@veep So, maybe The Numismatist should be published, say, 6 times a year. That way there will be less pressure to fill it with low-quality material. (Apologies in advance to the authors, but I think the articles in the current issue about toned walkers and tokens issued by glass companies qualify as low-quality.) And this change might free up funds for the ANA to use to better purposes.

Mark

• Options

I agree that the WL Half article was more of a space filler.

I wouldn't necessarily call The Numismatist low quality but rather different quality. Sometimes I like a Ken Burns documentary. Other times I just want to be entertained with a King of Queens rerun. They're totally different but both have their place in my life.

• Options
    Mark

• Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know and have worked with Mike.

Very knowledgeable and will get the job done.

A vote for Mike.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file