Home U.S. Coin Forum

Panel makes its recommendations for WWI medals

OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
Tagged:

Comments

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's interesting that all the medals, except for the Air Force, say "Over There!" but the slogan isn't mentioned in the article at all. Anyone know why the Air Force one wouldn't have this slogan?

• epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

How to make a modern commem -

Browse internet, find photo and history of USS Wadsworth as a sub hunter, add water breaking on bow and depth charge explosion in background.

But what really ticks me off is how, as a NU fan, this is not called goaltending by Gonzaga, resulting in a momentum breaker. Clearly, the Zag hand is thru the cylinder. WHAT A RIP.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Being a Navy Vet,...I may get the Navy coin.... I like it....Cheers, RickO

• MedalCollectorMedalCollector Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Mint has issued a fair share of WWI and WWII related medals in the last 5 years (15 + medals IIRC, and mostly Code Talker related), but none of them seem to be overly popular. Hopefully these new ones will be more popular because they're being struck in silver, marketed in conjunction with the commemoratives, and bear a broader military theme.

Over all, I like the designs and know that they will be executed well. If you haven't seen a 3'' medal struck by the US Mint in the last 5 years, they're awesome!

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

The "Over There" is unneeded lettering and detracts from the designs. The US Air Service medal looks good without the extra lettering.

All glory is fleeting.
  • COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2017 1:26PM

Did anyone else notice the same "2-Man" theme for the designs of the Army, Marines, and Coast Guard medals?

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• kazkaz Posts: 9,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only one I don't care for is the Air medal. I think an image of a Spad in flight, quartering and tilted, with a trench landscape in the background, would have been more interesting.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to see an airplane on our coinage. As well as a battleship....not only on a medal.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file