Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

How do PCGS and NGC turnaround times on world coins compare?

I know what my experience is, but I'm wondering if it's normal.

Thanks!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    jdmernjdmern Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

Right now, PCGS is going quicker... But for me, usually it's exactly the opposite...

Justin Meunier

Boardwalk Numismatics

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

I never thought that PCGS Europe would have such quick and consistent turnaround. And for the two times a year, where the graders come to Paris instead of the coins to them, we can submit upto two days before their arrival and get them back in a week!

Still, it's 30 euros or 15 in a mix of bulk/modern, for coins after 1954 that is usually submitted every three months for the new breed of collectors who prefer to cherry pick inexpensive ultra common modern Greek coins in order to locate a 66 or 67 p-l.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭

Up till this last month was very fast for chinese coins. The had a large influx im at over a month for 3 economy groups.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the Paris grading week for the ultra fast turn arounds and the fee structure in Europe makes crossing NGC coins of high value much more economical. I can;t comment on the relative turn around times though only using PCGS.

• Options

@Boosibri said:
    I like the Paris grading week for the ultra fast turn arounds and the fee structure in Europe makes crossing NGC coins of high value much more economical. I can;t comment on the relative turn around times though only using PCGS.

That offer however, with PCGS offering free cross grade if the NGC coin DNC was never offered in Europe. And this makes the cross grade of a rather pricey gold coin VERY expensive, only to get it back as it had been sent. Still, if the crossing is successful and gets a plus or an additional grade, the gains are in the low four figures.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options

@SYRACUSIAN said:

@Boosibri said:

That offer however, with PCGS offering free cross grade if the NGC coin DNC was never offered in Europe. And this makes the cross grade of a rather pricey gold coin VERY expensive, only to get it back as it had been sent. Still, if the crossing is successful and gets a plus or an additional grade, the gains are in the low four figures.

I crossed a $20,000 coin last week in Paris. Saved me $200 in premiums, no handling fees etc, pay a bit more nominally for the service and they bring it to the shows I frequent. All around a win for me. If it DNC, yes a bit more cost certainly vs. the current special but I had no doubt the coin would cross even at MS65 which it was.

• Options

That's nice news Boosibiri. Was it an 8 escudos?

Mine was (a Greek 1833 20 drs gold) worth half as much and if (IF) it had gained a point ,which I was 90% certain that it would have and I even put a minimum grade of 63 -its current grade- with a PLUS, in other words, a 63+ was not good enough for me to take it out of its 20 year old NGC holder for a new PCGS one, it would have jumped 30% higher in value, but .... bummer.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options

@SYRACUSIAN It was a nice 8 escudos in 65 and a Carlos IV 2R also in 65. The second coin obvious worth much less. Time for regrades now on both after crossing.

• Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

I'm getting World coins faster than US coins at PCGS...

• Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭

I handed in a world standard submission to NGC at the Baltimore show and have shipment notification today. That's roughly six business days for grades on raw coins! I also submitted a few coins for crossover and I'm still waiting to hear about them.