Home U.S. Coin Forum

Weirdest PCGS Slab. I'll you mine if you show me yours...

Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 14, 2017 12:37PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I'm a little odd. I like odd stuff. This fit the bill for my OBH collection, 1946-64 dime set, and wins it with goopy Slab

Comments

• COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen weird looking slabs like that when I go to flea markets and some guys have slabs in showcases outside I think the sun melts them although normally the slab contains a cheap proof coin from the 80s or 70s

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• okiedudeokiedude Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

Looks like the ultrasonic welder had a malfunction?

BST with: Oldhobo, commoncents05, NoLawyer, AgentJim007, Bronzemat, 123cents, Lordmarcovan, VanHalen, ajaan, MICHAELDIXON, jayPem and more!
  • PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

PSD?
    Post Slabbed Damage?

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you lead off with a trump card, no one else wants to play! :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

It doesn't appear sun damaged or anything. It just looks like the center thing melted weird. I don't know how they could extract the coin with out bending it at this point. It was on eBay with a few other oddly filled OBH dimes. This one was most extreme. > @Lakesammman said:

When you lead off with a trump card, no one else wants to play! :D

Mwahahahahaha!!! :smiley:

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's my baby !!

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had a few do that same thing set the blue box to close to the baseboard heater.

edited March 14, 2017 3:36PM

Awwww. Bummer. I thought it was just improperly filled. Did the outer case of the holder melt or only the inner insert? > @LindeDad said:

Had a few do that same thing set the blue box to close to the baseboard heater.

Just melted the gasket the outer cases were intact.

• MedalCollectorMedalCollector Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cameonut said:
    Never seen another like this one. Owned it for years.....

I like it! That's a very early PCGS encapsulation of a medal. And a really early encapsulation of a 1 5/16'' US Mint Presidential miniature medal.

Got rid of those hot halogens and went to LED's their cool.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll never give up halogen for a poorer substitute just because they get hot. Lamps should be more than a foot away from the slab anyway.
    Lance.

Yep Fred, that's your baby!

Neat Reagan slab - never have seen that before. Is that really a PCGS product?

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:
    Yep Fred, that's your baby!

Neat Reagan slab - never have seen that before. Is that really a PCGS product?

I can only say that the slab doesn't look tampered with. The typed insert is a bit of an enigma as I don't recall seeing anything like it, but those were the early days of slabbing.

Perhaps it is a unique slab worthy of bids well in excess of Regency slabs or NGC black slabs. But it is not for sale.

As far as whether it is a PCGS product, only they can confirm.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• toyz4geotoyz4geo Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cameonut said:

@Cameonut said:

@Cameonut said:

@Cameonut said:

If plastic could only talk. I like that one!

• BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 14, 2017 9:26PM

That is unique for sure. Can't be too many out there. Idk if it would bring Regency money, but I would bid strong if I seen this for sale. It must be a little after the DH flip. Does anybody have any more info on this? Please share

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cameonut, you've been here this long and you've never posted that slab !?! C'mon man !!

• SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Lakes is going to need extra pills to sleep tonight after that.

The Slammer knows me well!

I agree - come on, CameoNut! What else you hiding?? :D

There are some interesting "lunch time" pieces out there made by insiders - who knows?? This could be one of them. Who ever thought we would see a PCGS cricket or Sees Candy coin in a PCGS slab?? There are more to be discovered, I'm sure.

Oh the cricket is real?
    Seems like a genuine, spilt planchet. Lol. I get it now.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    The molten gasket on the first slab happens when you're photographing the coin and leave it under the lights a little too long.

Ask me how I know.......

There's a Peace dollar floating around somewhere with the same issues. :(

Try using LEDs or CFLs. They generate less heat.

• illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 15, 2017 12:54AM

Somewhere I have the following PCGS coins:

1945-S Jefferson War Nickel PCGS F12
    1943-P Jefferson War Nickel PCGS F15

To me, they are a couple of weird slabs in that they are a couple of coins that are very difficult to sell even at their 95 cent or so silver melt value, yet they are in PCGS plastic and graded :lol:

Similarly, I also remember buying a 1964-D Roosevelt Dime in PCGS MS60 for similar reasons... I'm sure I still have that one somewhere too, haha!

• TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    I'm a little odd. I like odd stuff. This fit the bill for my OBH collection, 1946-64 dime set, and wins it with goopy Slab

• CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SeattleSlammer said:
    Cameonut, you've been here this long and you've never posted that slab !?! C'mon man !!

@Lakesammman said:
    The Slammer knows me well!

I agree - come on, CameoNut! What else you hiding?? :D

There are some interesting "lunch time" pieces out there made by insiders - who knows?? This could be one of them. Who ever thought we would see a PCGS cricket or Sees Candy coin in a PCGS slab?? There are more to be discovered, I'm sure.

I do remember posting that slab in a thread a number of years ago, but I think it got poofed as it turned political. Funny thing is that i have no recollection where I got that slab or how much I paid for it. At a minimum, i normally put a small sticker on the back with date and cost. I was joking about its value today, but who knows what it would actually bring.

And you never know what I'll dig out of the pile of stuff I salted away over 20 years ago. Bought lots of stuff in bulk deals.

Sold lots of interesting things a few years ago when I was setting up at local NC shows. But I still have lots left.

The slab I have been looking for is one that has silver beads or gold flakes. I seem to recall the silver bead slabs that contained $1 of silver to be equivalent to the silver certificates. But haven't seen one in a long time.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    The molten gasket on the first slab happens when you're photographing the coin and leave it under the lights a little too long.

Ask me how I know.......

There's a Peace dollar floating around somewhere with the same issues. :(

The same thing will happen if you leave in car on a hot day - the inside rubber starts melting at a much lower temperature than the outside plastic case. When the outside case starts melting, it turns cloudy white.

Aspie - the rubber insert melts on itself, not on the coin. If you wanted that dime out, it will easily pop out without rubber attached.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is certainly different.... as is the entombed cricket ...I will certainly bid on one with a Black Widow in it.... :D Cheers, RickO

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,893 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm told there are ANACS slabs (not owned by anyone outside ANACS) that have chocolate coins in them that were used to test the sonic welding process, probably when they went from the quick-release slabs to the current ones. If there was no sign of melted chocolate, the process was considered safe for the coins.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool Reagan medal slab.

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a first for me , thanks for sharing :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe it was applied to heat?

CCAC Representative of the General Public
    Columnist for The Numismatist
    2021 Young Numismatist of the Year

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file