Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1967 Roosevelt "triple clip" incomplete planchet

AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just thought I'd share this "triple clip" 1967 Roosevelt Dime incomplete planchet error. One of my first few error dimes straight out of an uncirculated roll. Coolest thing in the world to an 8 year old kid haha.

Any thoughts, input, valuation or grade? Anybody else collect these, too?

Comments

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty cool...and my birth year.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2017 4:05AM

I've found a lot of 65-67 Rosies with worn dies around the date, rim issues, broadstrikes, off-center, etc.

It seems in 68 things leveled out. 1967 is one of the most common error years for modern dimes that I've seen. Also a lot of blank planchets that year.

Hope you enjoy your 50th Birthday. B)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well that is different.... and great that you found it yourself.... makes it special. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice example.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty neat find.

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 7, 2017 4:09PM

While finding clipped dimes from 1960 - 1969 is relatively easy, finding clipped dimes of this period in BU condition is tough. @seanq may have a better established opinion. I'd value yours at $8 - $20, but prices seem to be all over the place.

This is my double clip dime of the same date:

• Options
    edited March 7, 2017 10:21PM

In your search of 1960s rosies, have you noticed 65 to 67 all seem to have fairly particular weak zones? I see a lot of worn out dies, especially around the date, similar to the 53-56 cents. On the reverse, I see a lot of weak EPU, especially at the circles, but a majority are obverse errors.

Anything neat that you've found in 64? I couldn't afford much silver when I was a kid, so my dime experience is limited on 60-64. I've got two unopened 64 rolls I want to pop :smiley:

I always feel like I'm missing something whenever I bring rolls back and especially when I sell silver.

I've seen a lot of mechanical doubling on 62's, actually, now that I think about it.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never searched dime rolls...only halves and cents... never any luck with either type. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GoldenEgg said:
    While finding clipped dimes from 1960 - 1969 is relatively easy, finding clipped dimes of this period in BU condition is tough. @seanq may have a better established opinion. I'd value yours at $8 - $20, but prices seem to be all over the place.

Your price seems about right, I would put it more toward the higher end. Incomplete planchets are abundant on all issues from 1964 through 1967/8 as Mint production skyrocketed. As you would expect, it's examples with unusually large clips, or with multiple clips, or in very high grades, that hold the most interest to error collectors like me.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file