Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Unopened threads of the past.

Does anyone else miss the great discussions we used to have on here about unopened, the bbce and group breaks? Seemed like every week, there were fresh threads about those subjects. Why the lack now? Is it because unopened peaked a few years ago or have the older posters moved on? Just reminiscing.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Comments

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

There is far less to discuss when so little product is changing hands. Yes, the old time fun threads are missed and some of the participants have moved on. I doubt quality unopened has peaked, in fact, the tougher the find the more it will cost. When eBay was loaded with opportunity our members were constantly posting about cool finds. That rarely happens now. Perhaps BBCE will come up with something big someday and provide this group with a jolt.

P.S. - It's all Tim's fault. He owns everything.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe we can just have Tim post his collection so we can drool and maybe convince him to do a group break :D

• Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

I've sold some stuff in the past 14 months so I am in the process of re-organizing my inventory in house and will eventually do safe deposit boxes too. That means all new pics. May take a while but I'll post when I do

here are a couple to enjoy

all of the '80 boxes were CU group rips I believe

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hiya David

Are you going to the National this year?

On the topic? Hard to say.

I'm not in the hobby right now - doing a renovation of 1/2 the house - I'm general contracting it so it's tons of pain - and time consuming.

If prices have declined a bit? That might take the wind out of the "unopened" sails.

I do miss guys posting like cpamike and Tim "groat" e.g.

I've posted on my stuff from time to time - here's my 79T hoard - these were purchased 25 years ago (except for the packs on top BBCEx) when this product was much more reasonable.

Mike
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2017 11:07AM

LOL, @travis t & @KendallCat

Mike, love that 79 unopened ensemble. Manny, sweet FASC goodness.

I agree with Jeff in that there hasn't been much product available other than the more plentiful late 70s and forward these days. And 75 mini wax, of course. ;)

Wax trays have always been a favorite of mine, as they offer a unique way of obtaining packs that are factory sealed and essentially FASC for years from which that would not otherwise be possible. My PSA graded 78 wax pack with Murray on back, 79 wax pack with Smith on back & 80 wax pack with Henderson on back were all pulled from wax trays.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2017 11:20AM

One of my favorite racks from a tough year/issue. Mays on back and Martin flipping the bird on top. I purchased this rack many years ago from a woman whose husband used to own a novelty/toy shop back in the 1970s. Series 1/2.

Recent pickup~74 racks are one of my favorites as Topps used the blue header card for that year only.

Hammerin' Hank on back. Original price sticker still affixed.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2017 11:27AM

Midway through the 1980 baseball season, Topps discontinued the wax tray in favor of a "wax rack," a design that was mnot renewed in 1981, as Topps decided to produce "grocery cello racks" instead.

• Options
    Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

Just sold this one for $1100 for asking price. I don't think we are in a decline. Kinda hate to sell, however that is not bad. Have another with Fisk showing

• Options

Nice variety, David! 1975 has always been one of my favorite years~acquired these 3 from Steve years ago.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great stuff Tim, plus you have the best scanner on the planet!

A few unopened wackys for variety!

• Options

Those Plano spinner boxes are the best thing invented for raw pack storage!

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    Midway through the 1980 baseball season, Topps discontinued the wax tray in favor of a "wax rack," a design that was mnot renewed in 1981, as Topps decided to produce "grocery cello racks" instead.

Tim,

You're just showing off now. :smiley: Please continue. We want more
    James

• Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

Here's some OPC unopened (I've always been enamored with their scarcity). May be on the move soon to help finance a home purchase. Boo.

Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options

Tim - my wallet just moved looking at your stuff. Love the 75 Ryan rack - what a beast of a pack!!
    Always great to see your stash.

Sold my 73 and 74 racks when I figure I could not complete a full run of 70's racks. Still have a couple left.

Double HOF rack with Gossage and Palmer showing.

Double HOF rack from 1975 with Bench and Palmer plus "the unicorn" - a 75 mini rack.

• Options
    edited March 4, 2017 1:54PM

Terrific stuff, Scott & KC!

Several years ago, I bought a few PSA graded 1973 2nd series cellos from a guy who had sent a full box to PSA to get graded by the pack. Of the packs I acquired from that box, this one is my favorite.

• Options

WOW, nice pack Tim.
    James

• Options

Great stuff Tim!

If Tim started opening one pack every 30 minutes?

It'd probably take 17 years to finish the rip.

Here's my 76-79OPC run:

I was never an unopened collector - it just happened.

In fact, I had forgotten some of the stuff I had till the subject came up here - e.g. when Jordan stuff was hot, I found 2 boxes of 89F that I didn't even know I had. I paid the guy 24 bucks for the 2 boxes.

Mike
  • Options

Mike, I'll double your money on the basketball boxes. :smile:
    James

• Options

@esquiresports said:
    Here's some OPC unopened (I've always been enamored with their scarcity). May be on the move soon to help finance a home purchase. Boo.

Great stuff Scott - I wish I had gone earlier than 76 back in the 90s when the stuff was actually affordable.

Mike
  • Options

I am also doing a PSA pack run from the 70's and just missing one pack. Anyone care to guess without looking which one I still need? ;)

This run was fun to do and did not take a ton of effort except for the 1971 box. Once my display case is built (guy was over yesterday with the bookcases for the library and kids bedroom and measured the card display area) I will have a place to show them. Cannot wait. Lower area will be storage and secure, and upper area will showcase racks and packs, boxes, balls...

• Options

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

Nice boxes KC!
    Here's a display I put together a while ago.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2017 5:17PM

Awesome stuff.
    Not to derail but just add more unopened talk.
    I was thinking of the 1979 vending box break that is currently going on and It made me look to see if anything else might be cool to bust like that. And the 1971-72 BK Vending box would be a great value bust. I mean 1971 BK packs go for 500-1000(the full box BBc they want 1333 a pack) range and I might be wrong but I think they only have like 8 cards per pack too. If Im wrong then it is 10. So the vending offers 10 cards for like 160.00 per slot of 10. It also has quite a few decent hits Vs 1 big hit in the set. I think that would be fun to see opened as well bc Ive never seen a vending older than 1978 opened lol. So 160.00 for 10 cards vs 1333.00 for 8-10 cards seems like a good chance to find factory fresh cards at a good price. Id be in.
    Anyhow pack to reality.

• Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

Dr J year?

• Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

Anthony, I believe you owe me a phone call B)

• Options

@Arsenal83 said:
    Dr J year?

He is in the next year.
    James

• Options

@mikelowell25 said:

David...have you picked up one of these yet?

• Options
    edited March 4, 2017 7:02PM

**No but big hits in VCP are PSA 9 PSA 10s

1 Oscar Robertson 1472.00

10 Elgin Baylor 509.00

20 Spencer haywood 385.00 3900.00

29 Nate Archibald 448.00

47 Dave Cowens 249.00 4500.00

50 jerry West 292.00

55 pete Maravich 272.00 3400.00

63 Bob Lanier 416.00 6300.00

70 Wilt Chamberlain 600.00 5200.00

85 Dick Van Arsdale 399.00

89 Shaler Halimon 402.00

100 Lew Alcindor 850.00 2600.00

126 Mike Riordan 375.00

138 Leaders 345.00 1900.00

165 Zelmo Beaty 409.00

170 Rick Berry 705.00 4400.00

200 Dan Issel 257.00 2400.00

224 Louie Dampier 469.00

225 Roger Brown 485.00

And common 10s are from 125.00-2200.00**

Also only a 233 card set so it should have 2-3 of each card in 1 box.

• Options

@Griffins said:
    Nice boxes KC!
    Here's a display I put together a while ago.

Griffins - sweet display!! Do I detect a 1952 and 1953 box in that cabinet? Also, don't you have the full run of Topps packs - thought I had seen it in the past.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great stuff guys. Feels like the old days in here!!

• Options

@Stone193 said:
    Hiya David

Are you going to the National this year?

On the topic? Hard to say.

I'm not in the hobby right now - doing a renovation of 1/2 the house - I'm general contracting it so it's tons of pain - and time consuming.

If prices have declined a bit? That might take the wind out of the "unopened" sails.

I do miss guys posting like cpamike and Tim "groat" e.g.

I've posted on my stuff from time to time - here's my 79T hoard - these were purchased 25 years ago (except for the packs on top BBCEx) when this product was much more reasonable.

No, unfortunately no national for me this year. Dad and I always hit cooperstown for the inductions every year and the national is the same weekend. Traditionally the natty was the next week, but the promoters must have run into scheduling problems this year.

Good luck with the remodel. That can be stressful for sure.

• Options

Some odd ball packs to the mix.

• Options

Really nice display cabinet Anthony - don't remember seeing it before.

Mike
  • Options

Good luck with the remodel. That can be stressful for sure.

Thanx David - sure hope to see you and your dad down the road at a national. It'll be a while before I get back to the HOF where we met.

Mike
  • Options

That's a righteous pack run Keith.

I have a few boxes - I like the ones with the pros on the box specifically.

Good luck with completing the run buddy.

Mike
  • Options

Some really nice packs Derek.

You're hiding some really nice stuff under the Teddy Fleer packs.

Mike
  • Options
    leftofdialleftofdial Posts: 442 ✭✭

It felt like about time some Hockey was included. Someone needs to post football and more basketball too

• Options
    CrazylegsCrazylegs Posts: 406 ✭✭✭

Gone but not forgotten!
    Update for those that read my thread of selling these beauties a while back for my children's college expenses.
    My son has since graduated with degrees in Business Management, Finance & Computer Information Systems
    (Proud Dad) and has a great 80K job (I was in my 40's before I made that much) with Booz Allen Hamilton.
    Daughter is in her 3rd year now, studying abroad this year, at the University of Bologna - Bologna Business School.
    She has an amazing Internship already lined up for when she gets back as an assistant manager to a very classy
    (Too nice for me lol) 5 star resort!
    Hated to see them go but money well spent.
    I still have the pictures and memories!

Craig AKA "Crazylegs"
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2017 1:02PM

@PaulMaul said:

@mikelowell25 said:

David...have you picked up one of these yet?

Yes Dave, I bought one of those from Steve in 2011 except mine is in a psa holder (it's a psa 7). Steve had around four or five of them and let me pick the one I wanted--it has Grave Train showing on the back. Remember you and I were talking about my pack a couple years ago because I was trying to figure out what the sticker on the front might be because the back is face out and i was perplexed by the placement of the border printing (ie words) which didn't coincide with any sticker in the set the way it's configured. We need to revisit this again because I would really like to finally figure out what that top sticker is!!

• Options
    edited March 5, 2017 6:36PM

Does anyone remember from a few years ago there was rumor of an 1986 fleer basketball case coming out of hiding? I can't recall if it ever did, but I know bbce was offering I think $1000 just to see one.

• Options
    jsanzjsanz Posts: 250 ✭✭

Love those 70's - early 80's packs and boxes...send me a message if you are selling because I am buying
  • Options

Love those 70's - early 80's packs and boxes...send me a message if you are selling because I am buying
  • Options

I am still hanging on to this 1981 Topps BB case

• Options
    edited March 5, 2017 4:59PM

Excellent stuff, guys!

Following up on the 73 cello theme...I got this one from Fritsch back back when they had 73 cellos in stock, many years ago.

• Options

More Lefty.

• Options
    tbonewillytbonewilly Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

Here's some good stuff

Ken - Volunteered to work in Florida Keys, now freezing in Ohio
    Work in progress - Unopened Racks/Cello/Wax with star power for Baseball, Football and Basketball
    Collecting unopened 80's boxes and graded packs
    I may be hoarding too much 80's junk wax but I like it!
  • Options

@mikelowell25 said:

@PaulMaul said:

@mikelowell25 said:

Yes Dave, I bought one of those from Steve in 2011 except mine is in a psa holder (it's a psa 7). Steve had around four or five of them and let me pick the one I wanted--it has Grave Train showing on the back. Remember you and I were talking about my pack a couple years ago because I was trying to figure out what the sticker on the front might be because the back is face out and i was perplexed by the placement of the border printing (ie words) which didn't coincide with any sticker in the set the way it's configured. We need to revisit this again because I would really like to finally figure out what that top sticker is!!

I didn't remember that discussion! Funny coincidence, because mine has Grave Train showing also!

• Options

@PaulMaul said:

@mikelowell25 said:

@PaulMaul said:

@mikelowell25 said:

I didn't remember that discussion! Funny coincidence, because mine has Grave Train showing also!

I will find the pm exchange and forward it you to refresh your memory--in the meantime, do you know which sticker is showing on the front of yours??

• Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭

Them wax trays are prutty. A few of the older bball packs as requested, need to find a pic of my 69 one

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972