Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Unopened threads of the past.

Comments

• Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭

First 5 cards from the back come from the #1-132 card sheet. Wilt should be the 5th card in :)

My 1972 Wheaties cello pack. Wilt is on the back. The topps archives did a write up about them here

toppsarchives.blogspot.com/search/label/1972-73%20Topps%20Basketball%20Uncut%20Sheet

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options

For 1973 have wax, wax tray and a rak pak

• Options

1974 wax had 2 different front wax wrappers

• Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    Midway through the 1980 baseball season, Topps discontinued the wax tray in favor of a "wax rack," a design that was mnot renewed in 1981, as Topps decided to produce "grocery cello racks" instead

I member the good old days, and wish I had a Henderson rack in my collection. Very nice one!

I will promise to update some of my past unopened threads and try to start a new one. I don't have the kind of collection Tim has but I think I have a few interesting ones everyone can hopefully enjoy.

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 5, 2017 9:12PM

Gota love the 1973s! AND THEY ARE ORANGE!!
    I did not know the 15 card pack was even an option until this year. So Im happy to add this to my collection.
    Has anyone ever seen a 15 cent/card display box before? Just the box. I have not. Would love to see a pic if anyone has one.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

Magnificent stuff from all up above!

The past 18 months or so has seen me gradually transition away from unopened, but I shall be hanging on to this particular compilation. 79T FB will forever signify the commencement of evisceration when I was a youth.

I like this rack because it has three APs on front...

...and my all-time fav player on back. Abdul Salaam.

Blount looking like he's about to commit homicide on front...

...and another dude with a vicious stare on back.

Doug E Fresh Williams (RC)

Fouts

Fellow ACU alum Montgomery (RC) & Joe T

Bears TL with my boy in the t/l quadrant. And Chuck Muncie who, according to Dimeman, was a better back than Barry Sanders.

Largent with original Toy City sticker affixed. And a tall pugilist.

Staushaw with aforementioned sticker

Tony D

Bradshaw

Staubach

Sweetness RB

A special rack for very #32 and HOF reasons

The other 79 Ozzie (RC)

J-Lo (RC)

Earl RB

Sweetness

Earl (RC)

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful run of racks, Stephen!

I remember Toy City, too~those were the kinds of places that sold racks whereas the delis and small grocery stores in my neighborhood sold primarily wax and cello packs.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭✭

Stephen, you just made my week... maybe the whole year! I'll always be able to look back at that post and put a big ole smile on my face. Just an awesome display of 79 football! A couple of your "extra" racks have found a very good home with me, now I can only hope to pair them with siblings half as nice as what they had... lol. Thanks for sharing.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tremendous 79 racks!! Thanks for sharing

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

1973 FB 15 cent box

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stephen that is an incredible display of 79 football racks. Wow!!!

• Options
    1neatstuff1neatstuff Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

Wow love this thread i am going to try to post a few pictures of some of the boxes and racks i will be taking to Chicago for the show on the 17th thru 19th this will be my first time setting over there so i am kinda excited this will also be my first time setting up at the nationals...i have around 100 bbce boxes from the 70s and 80s and about half are from sealed cases and currently have about 75 cellos from 1955 till 1979 and wax packs all graded...hope to few a few of the board members there...

• Options

Love those 75s, Terry! A couple more:

Here's one of my favorite packs in my collection: a 1969 Topps "wax wrappered" cello pack In 1969, Topps produced a test pack that bore wax pack graphics but was wrapped in cello with 10 cards for 10c. Most of those I've seen over the years were all 1st series packs.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

And also a few hockey cellos and wax packs all opc btw i know my pictures suck i will get better at this

• Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Finally some sane collectors posting for a change. If cards were meant to be opened, they wouldn't bother wrapping them would they?!?

Terry, hope to catch up with you in July at the National this year. Let me know if you spot any 1970 Topps Baseball racks at the show.

Tim, Manny, John, Stephen, et al. awesome unopened love. Here are some archived pictures from the vault. Need to take some updated ones soon.

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options

Mike, very impressive assortment of boxes! I need to hire you for unopened organization, LOL!

• Options

Some vending love.

• Options

I will mike hope to see you there also great pictures and very nice collection there making me jealous i think i have tables 372/374 this year sharing one with my friend also great collections above like you said with manny,Tim,john,Steven and anyone else i forgot great collections and pictures

• Options

Ty Tim i love that 1969 pack that is awesome and i have to say i would love to hire mike also lol..

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome stuff guys.

Mike - that is a sick collection of boxes my friend. Do I see some 71 boxes plus 75 cellos and racks mixed in there? Stacked very neat as well. You must be like me where you can keep it in plain sight and not want to tear into it!

• Options

@KendallCat said:
    Awesome stuff guys.

Mike - that is a sick collection of boxes my friend. Do I see some 71 boxes plus 75 cellos and racks mixed in there? Stacked very neat as well. You must be like me where you can keep it in plain sight and not want to tear into it!

Unfortunately no 1971 boxes, but I do have a 1974 Topps Baseball Wax box which came from the Topps Vault. 1975 is my favorite year so I have a full rack box and plus a couple of cello boxes. Wish I had picked up a full 1975 wax box back in the day as the one in the pictures is empty and for display only.

And yes, I have superior self control when surrounded by unopened product although I must confess that I like to fondle my racks. :wink:

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options

And for those interested, I am available for hire and accept unopened baseball as payment. :smile:

Collecting:
  • Options

Just unbelievable stuff guys. Thanks for sharing!

• Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭✭

Might as well toss some "modern" into the mix. Have picked up a few more racks with Rice showing, but they're stored away... here's a few pics I had archived.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow - good to see guys posting!

Hiya Mike (cpa)!

Mike
  • Options

Hiya David (mike...) - can't remember - will be in Chicago this summer?

Mike
  • Options

@Stone193 said:
    Wow - good to see guys posting!

Hiya Mike (cpa)!

Hi Mike!! I hope the construction job is coming along nicely.

And not to derail this thread, here are some more unopened pics.

Collecting:
  • Options
    curchcurch Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

I would post my stuff but I am embarrassed after seeing all this stuff......amazing!

Always looking for vintage wax boxes!
  • Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@curch said:
    I would post my stuff but I am embarrassed after seeing all this stuff......amazing!

What he said.

Although maybe we'll be "blessed" by a fellow board member and she will post her case collection.

Kevin

Kevin

• Options

@LOTSOS said:

@curch said:

What he said.

Although maybe we'll be "blessed" by a fellow board member and she will post her case collection.

Kevin

Sorry we all know it was her late husband's collection and she is only looking to find a good home for them.

Collecting:
  • Options
    CrazylegsCrazylegs Posts: 406 ✭✭✭

One of the '72 Boxes with a few stars showing that I still have.
    Some Redskins love that I've been working on!
    My Redskins Lombardi unopened (ok so it's not cards) that I think is still pretty cool.
    Love looking at everything. Keep them coming. It never gets old!

photo IMG_0022_zpsc88e23c9.jpg
    photo IMG_0019_zpsb976af67.jpg
    photo IMG_0001_zpstyprmftq.jpg
    photo IMG_zpspjl5bep9.jpg
    photo IMG_zpsbudilafi.jpg
    photo IMG_zps482485c1.jpg
    photo IMG_0002_zpsba25a882.jpg
    photo IMG_0001-13.jpg
    photo IMG-1.jpg
    photo IMG_1814_zpsrjxnzbt3.jpg
    photo IMG_1817_zpslvhmyoqg.jpg

Craig AKA "Crazylegs"
  • Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 7, 2017 5:12PM

awesome photos guys

• Options

I love those art monk packs what an underappreciated player

• Options

Great box and packs crazy legs i am still waiting on a big wax pack and cellos run from the 70s hopefully coming soon from psa ...here is a few more pictures also some football vending 1981,1982 and 1985

• Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭

Awesome thread ! I love the unopened .

Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2024 5:46PM

Incredible collection Gd.

Thanx for sharing.

BTW, a member here opened a 58T FB cello and pulled a Brown RC and it got an 8 from PSA!

Ripping Journey

Mike
  • Options
    GiantsdudeGiantsdude Posts: 13 ✭✭

@Stone193 said:
    Incredible collection Gd.

Thanx for sharing.

BTW, a member here opened a 58T FB cello and pulled a Brown RC and it got an 8 from PSA!

Ripping Journey

I remember reading that thread. I am not a pack ripper anymore but I can definitely understand why some are. Thanks for replying.

• Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 723 ✭✭✭✭

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭

Adrian Peterson year

• Options
    GiantsdudeGiantsdude Posts: 13 ✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    Always fun when old threads come back and spur new comments. Who doesn’t love unopened?!?!

I can tell which decades you grew up in! 1980s and early 1990s are my time as well.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jordagretskyfan Trully Amazing

• Options

Hiya Chris.

What a great collection of unopened buddy!

I have a fond memory of the 92F cellos since they had the rookie sensations that had everyone going nuts! I think the key was the Thomas @ about 60 bucks?

@1.99 retail, shops were getting 7 bucks which was more like 16 bucks in 1992!

I was getting them at the Px while being stationed at Ft Gordon, GA; I'd even drive to other posts to buy since my son was nuts for them.

The 92F racks were somewhat popular too with the team leader cards if memory serves.

Thank for showing your collection - it's incredible!

Mike
  • Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey Mike! Thanks for sharing the memory on the 92F cellos. You are spot on that the Frank Thomas Rookie Sensation was the big hit at $60. Was the hottest card at the time and I remember dealers at shows getting $6/pack, which seemed crazy with the $1.99 printed right on the brand new packs. The consolation prizes were Jeff Bagwell and Ivan Rodriguez from the set. Folks also thought Todd VanPoppel and Phil Plantier were going to be stars.

I found a dealer that had 6 cases of these awhile back, and nostalgic me had to buy them all 🙂. Always a fun rip and the Thomas remains a serious challenge in PSA 9+ condition. You get 4-6 Rookie Sensation per box and the set is 20 cards.

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ajw said:
    This is the best rack I've ever seen. I no longer own it, but it's pretty incredible. Has anyone else seen a single player with 3 cards on top of a rack?

Very nice Will Clark rack pack! I think someone has a 1984(?) rack pack with 3 Eric Dickerson cards showing on top. IIRC 2 regular cards and a glossy card.

Daniel
  • Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy cow!

Is that a '71 with a rookie Simmons on top? That gives me the chills.

• Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭

@hamilton888 Awesome display! That 75 rack with Yount and Ryan is awesome, and the 71 rack with Rose is jaw-dropping. Also that 70 rack..probably not too many of those out there!

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball