Home U.S. Coin Forum

1968-S / 70-S cent doubling questions please

AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 3, 2017 8:15PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hey guys'n'gals. Hope you're all well! Here comes the weekend =)

I found this cute little coin tucked away. I think it's just mechanical or ejection doubling, but just wanted to make sure I'm not missing some rare 68-S DDO or something. It was my father's and in a different type of holder.

Doubled die? Mechanical or ejection doubling? I don't know what to make of the MM or why some of the IGWT looks like it was smashed.

Please let me know what you think, and cheers!

Comments

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks like mechanical or shelf doubling. The mintmark is interesting, with some sort of a bump inside the lower serif.

• AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's what caught my eye to check out the coin more. I don't know if you can see in the pictures but it appears there's something there, like physically raised up (not just shadow play). Could it just be a filled MM that had common doubling and ended up funny? I'm finding more and more of these very odd and obscure errors my dad left.

• JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like machine doubling to me.
    But keep looking.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Azurescens said:
    That's what caught my eye to check out the coin more. I don't know if you can see in the pictures but it appears there's something there, like physically raised up (not just shadow play). Could it just be a filled MM that had common doubling and ended up funny? I'm finding more and more of these very odd and obscure errors my dad left.

It's fun to go through an inherited collection. I was put in charge of selling my Dad's coins, more of an "accumulation" and didn't have a CPG to help me. But I paid an appraiser, which helped, and I found a "clear S" SBA in one of the sets which helped. There were a bunch of dateless buffalo nickels, if only I had known of "NIcadate"

edited March 3, 2017 8:35PM

I found some great buffalos, too. And three cent nickels :) I'm glad you got to enjoy the treasures your father left behind.

He put aside this 1970s cent marked as "double date / MM / profile".

This isn't part of the fabled DDO, right?

The 1970S looks exactly like a coin confirmed on another site. Should I send it off to get graded? IGWT and Liberty don't have much going on though.

• cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1970-S shows machine doubling as well. Notice that the 'S' mintmark shows the same flat, shelf-like doubling as the date. Since the 'S' was added to the die after the rest of the design, that plus the appearance of the doubling is a giveaway for machine doubling.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

Ahhh, okay! It finally clicked. I've been reading and researching and have been missing a little and that ties a lot together! Thank you so much you're the best =)

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both coins are mechanical doubling, although 1968-S Die #1 is a pretty nice one, and if you search enough 68-S 1c you can find one.
    1970-S has quite a few doubled dies, the huge one, and many more minor ones, but even they can be sold for decent money.
    I have cherried and sold most of the 1970-S 1c DDOs except for the biggun.

B)

One cool thing about this coin is the E in "We". It looks as if the E is made of two pieces of metal, and the bottom of the E looks on the coins surface and the top of the E looks like it's sitting on something, and raised up. I'll never get a picture of it. It's cool to see. With the mint mark standing out, your eye catches the date again being so linear & then the mm again, liberty looks good and the wE kind of brings it together. The luster is much more appealing.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

You will see a lot of funky things on and near the rims, especially on IGWT, on 1968-S Lincoln Cents.
    The master hub used to make the dies was very worn out, and was modified for coins struck in 1969.
    1968-S cents with nice sharp "IGWT" separated from the rim are not common.
    They are the exception, not the rule.It's quite common for these coins to have extra blobs or what could look like extra bars or doubling, above the O, D, "E" in WE especially,and above the "TR" in TRUST.
    Look at some 1969 cents and compare the obvious differences in the portrait and lettering.
    Even though they "cleaned up" the design, I much prefer the look of the bust on the 1968 and earlier issues.
    He just looks more "Lincoln-like" and majestic, and on the 1969 coins he looks kind of like Mr. Brady from the Brady Bunch.

edited March 4, 2017 1:44AM

Lincoln from 1909-S VDB is the only Lincoln for me.

I found a neat lamination earlier. 1940. The metal peels at the rim and folds back over the date, which you can read under the metal.

These 57s and 58s I've been going through have a lot of filled letters or date or mintmark, and are real similar to the type of stuff happening around 55 with "teardrop T" varieties (rev. CENTS).. if anyone calls them that anymore. But lots of filling on the obverse. This follows the 55 debacle and it still didn't do much good fixing it.

My dad brother and I were opening wheat rolls one night and just came across dozens upon dozens of these. I've got rolls of them somewhere. I'd never seen a string of errors like that in my life.

I didn't very much care for the 70s coins, I have a rainbow-blue toned Lincoln cent from 1973 and you can see the back of the coin on the front. It reminds me of how stank and thin and flimsy pennies had now become. I can't even look at a common cent or state quarter without feeling disappointed.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Azurescens...." I have a rainbow-blue toned Lincoln cent from 1973 and you can see the back of the coin on the front." If this is so, you likely have a clashed die cent... not because it is thin... can you take pictures of that coin?? Cheers, RickO

edited March 4, 2017 9:46AM

I think I posted in the wrong thread and just lost a lengthy post. Maybe because I edited three times? It said your post will be entered when approved..?

I think it's just worn down so thin in that one area that the surface of the reverse might be coming through enough..?

Perhaps someone stuck it in their old fuse box thinking it was the same deal as putting an Indian cent or wheat cent in there to jerry rig the connection. What I believe to be the edges of the memorial may be electrical contacts. They are like a lighter but more iridescent purple-blue and "shimmer" when you turn it. It's discernable. But the reverse memorial appears to line up with his eye and the date so maybe not caused by damage?

I do (did?) have a broadstrike that was really far out. It was like looking at both sides at once. It was an eye-crosser, lol. I mistook this 73 as the best parts of both haha.

(Here's the 1940 I was talking about earlier that had the lamination, too).

I've come to notice the 1940-1942 as having major errors near the date. Missing 0, 1, 2's. I have a lot of 194_ but they don't do it after the steel cent. Missing a little or a lot of liberty letters, too, or peeling near the date like this one but the metal being dislodged.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file