Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Obtaining dollars and half dollars to ... spend?

David1940David1940 Posts: 64 ✭✭
edited March 3, 2017 12:34PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Recently I went to a local bank to get a roll of dollar coins. I called them on the phone first.

"Do you have rolls of dollar coins?"
"Yes, but they're not all new ones."
"That's fine. Can I exchange cash for them?"
"Yes."

So off I went, and physically walked into a bank branch office building thing, with walls and doors and windows and actual people. It had been a while since I had visited one of these establishments. I walked up to the counter and said I had called. She remembered me. She took my $25 in cash and went back to their vault, and handed me a roll of dollar coins. Some Sacagaweas, two Susan B. Anthony, ("Anthonies?"), and some presidential. I took them home and sifted through them. Put some in flips, others in my pocket.

Then, I ... SPENT them. Yup. I put them in a vending machine. It said $1.00 on the little display. Cool! I left them as a tip for a waitress at Pizza Hut; $4 tip for a $15 purchase. Eventually they were gone. Maybe sometime soon I'll go get more. Maybe I'll get some half dollars too. I think i'm the only person within a 50 mile radius that actually wants to have, and spend, these coins, but if I never receive them in change, my only option is to head back to the bank. I feel kind of silly asking for them, though. Does anyone else do this?

Comments

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have ....heard.... that IKES are VERY popular in Germany.
    ??????????

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to leave Sac $1 for tips all the time. I may start doing that again along with Kennedy 50c. You never know-it might create some new collectors.

• Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always try to get a few halves and dollars at the bank to get them circulating again. Most the time when I do spend them the cashier isn't thrilled to see them but it doesn't stop me. :)

• Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭

I live on the Maine\Canadian border.... recently, the local Walmart stopped accepting all Canadian coinage.I guess about 40% of their business comes from Canadians.If I were an overhomer,I would be spending my coins elsewhere

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

The vending machines at work use dollar coins for change. Sometimes I put a dollar in and change it a few times to see what I get (I still check all the 2000Ps for Cheerios dollars). I get rolls of halves at the bank occasionally... then I spend them and the dollar coins at the corner coffee shop. They like getting the coins, and it is convenient because a small coffee is about $1.50.

• Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

I know a couple of coin dealers who will give me dollar coins in change for my purchases.

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

I spend them at work in the cafeteria every few months and everyone that works there makes a big deal about it. They love the Ike's and half dollars. Nothing like the feel of a large Ike dollar in your hand if you never saw one before.

• Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

I get dollar coins and half dollars from the bank all the time to spend.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool @FredWeinberg

• Options
    NCVikingNCViking Posts: 54 ✭✭

I love to leave stacks of coins for tips beginning with an Ike on the bottom and a dime on the top. In between I place SBAs, Sacs, presidential dollars, quarters and half-dollars. Throw in a nickel and penny and you have a nice looking pyramid. Place them all on a $1 or $2, with Where's George stamps and the wait staff is always amused.

Ike dollars are getting more difficult to get every day. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get bags of them from the Federal Reserve stash?

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NCViking said:
    I love to leave stacks of coins for tips beginning with an Ike on the bottom and a dime on the top. In between I place SBAs, Sacs, presidential dollars, quarters and half-dollars. Throw in a nickel and penny and you have a nice looking pyramid. Place them all on a $1 or $2, with Where's George stamps and the wait staff is always amused.

Ike dollars are getting more difficult to get every day. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get bags of them from the Federal Reserve stash?

I've noticed ikes drying up also. If you don't mind paying a little over face value though , there is a seller who sells lots of 100 on ebay for $127 with free shipping. Wait for one of the 10% ebay bucks promotions and get another $12 off. You would need to visit 20 banks to get even 50 ikes lately unless some walked in the door just before you show up.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

The nice lady at the bank always sets aside the rolls of dollars and half dollars just for me. At this point I should also add that besides her wonderful personality, she is also one foxy babe. I tell her so every time I see her. No luck so far. Anyway, I spend those coins all over town. Makes me feel like a Big Shot. Could be worse.

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always wished we had 1,2,5,10 dollar coins and 20s starting bills 50/100/500/1000.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have done this in the past, I have fallen out of the "habit", I may have to get back into it. I probably would not leave Anthony Dollars since they look like Washington with a hangover. Although I guess I could leave the Anthony Dollar(s) in a flip with a little info background on the other side. Presidential Dollars, Kennedy's and Two-Dollar Bills used to be my thing for tips at diners.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

About 2 years ago I found an IKE in a DD parking lot. Almost like someone threw it away. :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

I keep a roll or two of SBA/Pres dollars in my car to use as emergency cash if I'm low on paper and have a small transaction but also to give to the non-druggie looking people with signs at stoplights. It has the added benefit of if I make a mistake and it is a druggie, I doubt a dealer would take them.

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@chumley ....... What is an 'overhomer'???? I leave clad Kennedy's as tips... running out since I have not roll searched in a while... have to get more. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    coinnut86coinnut86 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭

I do this too and occasionally score a few Ike's :)

• Options
    edited March 4, 2017 1:16PM

What is a DD parking lot?

• Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 26, 2019 9:55AM

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:

dunkin donuts?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

Thanks Lance. I was goin' outta' my mind (what's left of it) on that one. Sweet baby Jesus. Thank you. My weekend is complete. Dunkin' Donuts. Also, thank you for not going with "DOUGHNUTS." I hate that. As I always told my boys; Knowing the difference between "DOUGHNUT" & "DONUT" is what seperates the men from the boys. AND.......I'll never spell the word "WEIRD" again wrong. Never. I still can't stop laughing!

• Options

Is there a way to avoid the social awkwardness of going to the bank to get them? :dizzy:

• Options
    machoponchomachoponcho Posts: 355 ✭✭✭

I like leaving a $2 bill, an Ike dollar, and a Kennedy Half for a tip.

You have to keep asking the bank every time you go in and be persistent.

I have existed since the creation of this world and will exist until its end. Only my form will change. For these 80 human life years, I have the benefit of having a functioning body and consciousness. I will not waste this opportunity.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2017 10:38AM

Well I mustered the courage to go get another roll. This time she didn't even ask if I had an account, but I don't think I got the same teller. I got a roll of dollar coins, but she said they didn't have any half dollars. :(

I got all presidential dollars this time:

Washington: 10
    Buchanan: 3
    Lincoln: 3
    Adams: 2
    Hayes: 2
    Jefferson: 2
    Polk: 1
    Pierce: 1
    Garfield: 1

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

@David1940 said:
    Is there a way to avoid the social awkwardness of going to the bank to get them? :dizzy:

awkwardness?

trust me when I say almost every commercial operation would beg you to take them, but won't because it'd demean the business.

the tellers have to count dollars, half dollars and $2 in their tills and if they sit and sit then it is just time wasted to recount them.

Banks ask me "do you have an account?" most banks I don't. I say "you want to unload them don't you?" and that ends that. They give me all I can take.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@David1940 said:
    Well I mustered the courage to go get another roll. This time she didn't even ask if I had an account. I got a roll of dollar coins, but she said they didn't have any half dollars. :(

pulled a Hoover recently

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

@David1940 said:
    Well I mustered the courage to go get another roll. This time she didn't even ask if I had an account. I got a roll of dollar coins, but she said they didn't have any half dollars. :(

pulled a Hoover recently

Dam!

:D

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

theres a hot dog stand that gives out half dollars instead of 2 quarters (most of the time). its a good thing i guess

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

During a recent Mint order I bought a 2-roll set of 2017 Kennedy halves. I saved a few nice ones and am spending the rest. Worth the extra cost, because it's fun to see the cashiers' reactions to receiving a "new" half dollar - most were unaware that they were still being made. After checking out during my latest trip to the grocery store, I heard the customer behind me asking whether he could buy the half from her. Don't know whether or not she sold it to him.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

@Overdate said:
    During a recent Mint order I bought a 2-roll set of 2017 Kennedy halves. I saved a few nice ones and am spending the rest. Worth the extra cost, because it's fun to see the cashiers' reactions to receiving a "new" half dollar - most were unaware that they were still being made. After checking out during my latest trip to the grocery store, I heard the customer behind me asking whether he could buy the half from her. Don't know whether or not she sold it to him.

I might get some half dollars with birthday money. I've asked for US Mint gift certificates...

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

@David1940 said:

Why is it awkward? I visit my banks all the time, am polite and friendly to the tellers, and in response they save me any "funny money" that comes in.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

A lot of cashiers won't know what they are or what to do with them.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

@MsMorrisine said:

@David1940 said:

pulled a Hoover recently

Dam!

:D

That one really sucked!

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

My bank keeps a pretty good stock of $2's(there seems to be a guy who regularly gets hundreds of them) but if I want halves I almost always have to order a box. It takes me a long time to spend through them since I don't want to be "that guy" who just goes through them and brings them back. I've got about a $400 "foot rest" under my desk right now lol.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

@ChrisH821 said:
    My bank keeps a pretty good stock of $2's(there seems to be a guy who regularly gets hundreds of them) but if I want halves I almost always have to order a box. It takes me a long time to spend through them since I don't want to be "that guy" who just goes through them and brings them back. I've got about a $400 "foot rest" under my desk right now lol.

you get an account at a bank with the remaining coin counting machine in town and run them through there.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:

something told me the DD would get your curiosity up. lol

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options

I spend half dollars almost every day............including a 1982 circulated proof Kennedy this A.M.

Spend a BU roll of West Virginia quarters for lunch.

I am a Free Range numismatist..........

• Options

So I bought a roll of half dollars from the mint, and was so disappointed when I tried to spend one:

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

@David1940 said:
    Recently I went to a local bank to get a roll of dollar coins. I called them on the phone first.

"Do you have rolls of dollar coins?"
    "Yes, but they're not all new ones."
    "That's fine. Can I exchange cash for them?"
    "Yes."

So off I went, and physically walked into a bank branch office building thing, with walls and doors and windows and actual people. It had been a while since I had visited one of these establishments. I walked up to the counter and said I had called. She remembered me. She took my $25 in cash and went back to their vault, and handed me a roll of dollar coins. Some Sacagaweas, two Susan B. Anthony, ("Anthonies?"), and some presidential. I took them home and sifted through them. Put some in flips, others in my pocket.

Then, I ... SPENT them. Yup. I put them in a vending machine. It said $1.00 on the little display. Cool! I left them as a tip for a waitress at Pizza Hut; $4 tip for a $15 purchase. Eventually they were gone. Maybe sometime soon I'll go get more. Maybe I'll get some half dollars too. I think i'm the only person within a 50 mile radius that actually wants to have, and spend, these coins, but if I never receive them in change, my only option is to head back to the bank. I feel kind of silly asking for them, though. Does anyone else do this?

Nope!

The problem with the one dollar coins is NOT that people don't want them or will not use them. The problem is that merchants, both big and small, do not order them to give them out as change. They instead opt for the one dollar bill which are easier to order than coin.

"IF" the Treasury Department were to CEASE ordering one dollar bills from the Federal Reserve Bank and withdrew them from circulation, merchants would then start ordering dollar coin to distribute as change.

Until that happens, the coins will simply NOT circulate because each one that you or I spend, simply goes back to the bank.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

@bronco2078 said:

@NCViking said:

I've noticed ikes drying up also. If you don't mind paying a little over face value though , there is a seller who sells lots of 100 on ebay for $127 with free shipping. Wait for one of the 10% ebay bucks promotions and get another $12 off. You would need to visit 20 banks to get even 50 ikes lately unless some walked in the door just before you show up.

Nah! Order them from your bank. They CAN order Eisenhower Dollars specifically as they are still in the system.
    Then, petition the new President to eliminate the cent, use a cheaper metal for the nickel, and eliminate the one dollar note so that some of the $2 billion in dollars in Federal Reserve Banks can get into circulation.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

Jeez! Before 9/11 I would have done stuff like this, but I've seen too many horror stories about people getting arrested for using $2s, Ikes, etc to do it now. The irony is that I just acquired several hundred bucks worth of Ikes, dollar coins and halves and have been spending as many as I've dared. I can't wait to get rid of them. Anybody who lives in Virginia and wants to exchange for cash, hit me up.

• Options

they still make new $2 bills?

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options

I put four quarters in a vending machine this weekend and hit the coin return. Out came a Sac collar! I was so excited I put it back in and hit the coin return again. Another! I saw a few presidents, and some Susan B Anthony dollars before I got a John Tyler presidential coin, in very good condition!

I tried several other vending machines, but they all either returned four quarters or required me to buy something. Twice I did this and the machine said I had put in two dollars -- as if someone before me had put in a dollar and then left. It was strange. I also got three state/ATB quarters I needed and one bicentennial. None of the machines took my half dollar.

• Options
    edited April 17, 2017 5:11AM

I went to that same vending machine this weekend to attempt to get more dollar coins that aren't yet in my collection. One of the ones that came out was a 2016 Ronald Reagan Presidential Dollar. Philadelphia mint mark. Weren't those not released into general circulation? I'm suspecting that someone bought them from the mint and spent them, just as I'm doing with some of my 2017 Sacs and half dollars.

I also received a Three Sisters Agriculture 2009 Sacagawea dollar in fairly good condition.

• Options
    edited April 27, 2018 10:31AM

Recent convenience store trip: I picked up a penny that had fallen into a rack in front of the cash register and said, "Penny!" to the cashier. They had no take-a-penny-leave-a-penny dish. So he says, "It's your lucky day!" He gives me my change and then holds up three dollar coins.
    "You want these?"
    "Sure! Now, how did you know I collect those?"
    "Because you picked up the penny."

Recently when I've been getting cash back at various stores, the cashiers have been asking me, "How do you want this?" I say, "Do you have any dollar coins?" ... and of course some of them look at me blankly, puzzled as to what a "dollar coin" is. Others just say, "No" and I say "Twenties are fine."

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Clerks mistake them for quarters and give them as change and the books don't balance, except Ike's. That's what I've been told. I still get and spend them as well as $2 bills. I used to geocache and leave $2 bills which were the most popular item in the cache.

• Options

Since my last posts, my wife and I purchased a Subway Franchise.

I thought, wow, I can now give out dollar coins as change!

Incorporating them into daily "cash out" procedures was doable but then, it presented some small problems which, "could" be overcome.

However, the very first time I tried to give them out as change, the customer, much to my surprise, rejected them.

You see, folks come into my shop to buy sandwiches. Not collect coins.
    Additionally, Subway has standardized procedures for keeping track of your money to avoid such things as theft and robberies. The less cash I have available, the better off I am.

So, if customers are going to reject the dollar coins, then it's just coinage that I'd be carrying around which would prevent me from getting the dollar bills that the customer expects.

On the other side of the equation, if the US Government eliminated the paper bill, then dollar coins would be much easier to incorporate into all the various processes involved with cash handling.

At least I can say I tried.

PS: A couple of weeks ago, two rolls of well circulated silver quarters showed up in my till after I sent an employee to the bank to get quarters! Woo Hoo. I then took the time to run over to the bank (it's in the same shopping area) to see if they had more. No Luck.

We live in a country full of normalities and expectations. When something, which should have been normal, occurs out of place, peope always reject it unless they have no other alternative. As long as the paper one dollar bill exists, the dollar coin will be doomed other than for collectors and those speculating in coin collecting.

The name is LEE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file