Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Obtaining dollars and half dollars to ... spend?

2»

Comments

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,482 ✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:
    Clerks mistake them for quarters and give them as change and the books don't balance, except Ike's. That's what I've been told. I still get and spend them as well as $2 bills. I used to geocache and leave $2 bills which were the most popular item in the cache.

A fella came in and bought a sandwich with 3 - $2 bills yesterday.

I'll be danged if those innocent $2 bills didn't cause me some counting problems.
    I knew they were there but I just blew right by them.

We keep a spare cash bag that will have either 20 one dollar bills or rolled coins in case a cashier needs change due to running out. In that bag during last nights closing, the were two $2 bills, a roll of cents and a solitary half dollar.
    I'll be danged if I didn't just peek into the bag and mentally calculate that there was $3.00 in there. Two bills, a roll of cents and that Half Dollar.

I cam up $2.00 short in my final tally! Only after recounting everything id I realize what a dumb mistake I'd made.

The unusual often can cause problems which simply are not necessary.

Yeah, it was a dumb mistake but then, I'm a collector. I, at the very minimum, should have Known.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whenever I spend a Dollar Coin, I get a surprised or confused reaction. What are these? Then the cashiers always put them in the far left spot in the till. Two dollar bills get the same reaction. Then on the flip side, if you give out a dollar coin for change, the customer is either confused or oblivious - just dropping his change into his pocket. "I'm supposed to get three dollars back, you only gave me two" "That coin in your hand is also a dollar." So, I continue to do it, it's good clean fun....entertaining!!!!!!

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@19Lyds said:
    Since my last posts, my wife and I purchased a Subway Franchise.

I thought, wow, I can now give out dollar coins as change!

I'll bet if you gave out half dollars and $2 bills they would happily accept them and you might increase business once word got around.

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Every coin show I run, I end up with about $30 in dollar coins and another $10 or so in halves. Once there were rolls of pennies also. People love paying the $3 admission with coins.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

:)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file