Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Flying Eagle Cent pick up

Just picked this up 1857 flying eagle Cent today! Just figured I'd post it up here to see what y'all think!

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope you got a discount since it isn't all there....

I wonder if it really circulated or if it was someone's pocket piece.

Pretty rare I would imagine.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Flying towards the crescent moon" variety - I like it!

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would imagine Rick Snow will see and respond to this. Exquisite piece . . . . and now let's see what he thinks of this!

Great post!

Drunner

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

I must confess that I have some reservations about this piece and would to see what Fred Weinberg and perhaps Eagle Eye think of it. My concerns center on the style of the obverse lettering, and the total lack of lettering from bottom of the eagle's wing and tail. I'm far from an expert on errors, and I could well wrong, but I would want some expert advice before I paid a high price for this.

I have seen counterfeit errors of early U.S. coinage, and not far fetched to be concerned about mid 19th century coins as well.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good eye @BillJones I'd say I agree with your evaluation after comparing the date to just a couple of coins in CoinFacts, it doesn't look like there's much of a chance that it's real.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2017 8:57PM

The obv lettering does seem pretty crude, especially the base of the "D" and the overly thin center of the "S."

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

Not right.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first thought was it does not look right.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

That letter N looks a bit to spindly ... the 8 and 5 in the date also seem way too thin.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2017 9:11PM

@jedm said:
    That letter N looks a bit to spindly ... the 8 and 5 in the date also seem way too thin.

It is not unusual for the letters and digits on broad-struck coins to appear thin.
    I don't see anything that would lead me to believe it is counterfeit.

• Options

Not sure if this helps or not, but here's a picture of the date
    Mine

A sold one from heritage auctions 10% Off center (Mine is about 15%)

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

@jedm said:

It is not unusual for the letters and digits on broad-struck coins to appear thin.
    I don't see anything that would lead me to believe it is counterfeit.

Interesting to learn that. That's what I like about this place. Thanks for the information.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is unique.... Hope the experts chime in on this one.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was looking at this on an iPad late last night which does not give the best of images, especially when the image is small. Now that I have seen it on my desktop, I am sure I don't like it. Yes, the piece is made off-center which can distort things, but the lettering is just too far off to say "genuine" to me.

Yes ago a person came to at an EAC convention with a "1796 half cent struck over a cut-down 1796 cent planchet." If this had been real it would have been an earth moving discovery in early copper. The 1796 half cent has been a known major rarity for over 150 years in the hobby and no one has ever seen something like this.

As it turned the piece looked "brand new" and the surfaces were not something that I have even seen a high grade piece of early copper. It was very likely of Chinese origin and was soon branded as such by the experts.

Here is a Mint State 1857 Flying Eagle cent to which you can compare the lettering on the possible off center struck piece.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's got the same weird shaped 8 and 5 in the date as the one from the Heritage auction -- were there different obverse dies?

mirabela
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats and good for you.
    Looking good in the Trueview.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool

• Options
    SangoSango Posts: 177 ✭✭✭

Major score!!

• Options
    BodinBodin Posts: 996 ✭✭✭

SWEEEEEEEET!

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

I missed this the first time around! Very nice error!

As @dcarr mentions, lettering is very often distorted on off-center and broadstruck coins. During the strike, the metal is flowing upward and outward. Each incuse die element has ridge walls which sit parallel to the edge of the coin and act as a dam to the metal flowing in this upward and outward manner. That's why there tends to be more metal fill on the tops of the lettering, built up behind these ridge walls; and less fill towards the bottom of the lettering where there look to be puckered lips. (I hope someone else can explain that better than I!) If you look at other off-center and broadstruck coins, you will observe the same pattern.

Also, because it is off center, a design rim was not allowed to form and was thus not able to properly protect the design from wear during circulation. This would account for the abnormal wear pattern on this coin.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a cool piece! Good job!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice TruView.... Neat coin.... Congratulations.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2017 6:27AM

Very nice piece, I always go for the TrueViews due to my aging eyesight and they will benefit you when you decide to sell.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you imagine a piece like that remaining in circulation long enough to pick up that level of wear today. Not only is it an interesting piece, it also reveals something about the status of coin collecting interest among the general public in the mid-19th century.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations to you :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

The FE is genuine, imo (obvious, since it's in a PCGS holder).

As far as circulation - I've always found it fascinating that there
    are SO many well-circulated major errors (both off centers and
    double strikes, for example) from not only the early part of the
    last century, but going back to early half cents and large cents,
    too - thru the late 19th Century.

As 291fifth notes - it's a window into the public's mind set going
    back 200 years or so - money was money, and as long as someone
    accepted it at face value, what was the big deal about pulling it
    out of circulation to save - until, eventually, someone did, with all
    of the circulated major mechanical error coins we see today.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's really cool!

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looked good to me, but what do I know. I'm glad it worked out for the OP. :)

• Options

Thanks everyone for the love! She's a unique piece, so I figured I'd show her off a little!

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unique is the word :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file