Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What was the first coin you found while coin roll hunting that really got you hooked?

I dabbled in coin roll hunting pennies. Maybe, a box a month or so, until I peeled the wrapper back on a roll and saw the distinct tarnished gray color that is unmistakable. Silver! And I'm talking, real silver, not a clad dime that accidently wound up with the pennies. When I pulled the coin out by the edges, it was like nothing I'd ever seen before. I actually had to look it up and found out it was a Mexican 20 Centavos piece, from 1928! I was hooked! Ever since then, I've been doing a box of pennies every week.

Looking forward to hearing your stories,
~Matthew

CoinRollin.blogspot.com

Comments

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a kid; I always thought that the 1960 large and small date Lincolns were cool.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2017 1:45PM

Just silver for me! Twice I've found ol' Ben Franklin and only once have I found a Walker!
    I've found a BUNCH of Kennedies...

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

40% Kennedy, I got something like $30 in halves from my bank one day and there were 6 of them mixed in.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Morgan dollars. Big hunks of silver got me hooked.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Roll hunting didn't get me hooked. My mother's cleaning lady sold me an 1838 half dime and an 1846 large cent. The coins were not very nice, but their age really grabbed me, especially the half dime. Wow! That coin was made not just 101 years before I was born, but the decade before that!

Yea, I know that's not very exciting, but to an 11 year old it was.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2017 2:57PM

A "blast white" dude named Kennedy.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

First time roll hunting was last year- picked up $330 in Kennedy's at the bank, and got 18 40%'s, 2 90%'s, and a 1974-D DDO...beginners luck. I haven't replicated that event but have found many 40%'s, more 90%'s, and varieties. A Franklin, and Walker too! I pick up a box tomorrow...love it!

• Options
    CaptMorgansCaptMorgans Posts: 102 ✭✭✭

Mine was getting a roll of pennies and getting my first look at an IHC.

• Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Going threw a box of pennies and finding 3 black planchets.

Finding wheats always made me really happy too

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    TonerGuyTonerGuy Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

Found 10 1934-D Peace $ VAM 4 Small D - All but one graded MS and one was a Top Pop coin which I sold for $4000 years ago...

• Options
    ricmanricman Posts: 313 ✭✭✭

1917S AU-55 SLQ while roll searching for silver in early '70's

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

A friends father died. He had a roll of Indian Head cent his dad had in a drawer. He knew I was interested in coins and offered them to me. I said sure. I can't remember what I paid him. This was the late 70's.. I seem to remember 5 cents each??? Not sure. Not more than 10 cents. They would turn up in change every once in a while even then.

That night at home I opened the roll and began checking and sorting the dates. Somewhere in the middle was a 1909-S and a little further a 1908-S. Still have them.

• Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

A War nickel in a roll of nickels sometime about 1975.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have roll searched halves for years.... never found anything but clad halves... :( Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 1, 2017 6:57AM

@ricko said:
    I have roll searched halves for years.... never found anything but clad halves... :( Cheers, RickO

Me too. When I was a YN in the 1960s I searched though rolls of cents and nickels and never found anything earth shattering. I got my grandmother hooked on coins, and she when through more rolls than I did. The best thing she ever found was a 1931-D cent in EF-AU.

My best "roll find" was modern. One day I was at the bank making a deposit. There were a bunch of half dollar rolls in front of the teller. I lended down to look at the end of one and saw Ben Franklin looking back at me. I asked the tell what they were going to do with them, and she said, "Oh we'll put them in the vault." I asked her if I could buy them all, and she said yes. It turned out to be $190 in 90% silver half dollars!.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones.....WOW!!! That is amazing Bill.... What a great find.... Maybe my bad luck is holding out for a bonanza like that.... :D Oh well... I can dream....Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ChrisH821 said:
    40% Kennedy, I got something like $30 in halves from my bank one day and there were 6 of them mixed in.

That's awesome! I've been slow searching through single rolls and finding big fat goose eggs. But, that's all going to change! I just ordered a $500 box of halves, should be here any day now, but I'll be making videos as I hunt through them. If you'd like to experience the hunt, I'll be posting the videos here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6XQ4I8isUubtqBiB_qxD7w
    And, if I find anything interesting, I like to take a few days to study it and then I'll write about it on my blog: CoinRollin.blogspot.com You're welcome to comment and share your numismatic knowledge and experience if you'd like. Thanks for sharing :-)

CoinRollin.blogspot.com

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have done a bit of roll hunting..... Kennedys mostly. Nothing interesting yet.

• Options

@PocketArt said:
    First time roll hunting was last year- picked up $330 in Kennedy's at the bank, and got 18 40%'s, 2 90%'s, and a 1974-D DDO...beginners luck. I haven't replicated that event but have found many 40%'s, more 90%'s, and varieties. A Franklin, and Walker too! I pick up a box tomorrow...love it!

I just ordered a box myself! Should be here any day now. I'll be making videos as I hunt through it. If you want to experience that hunt, I'll be posting the videos here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6XQ4I8isUubtqBiB_qxD7w
    If I find anything cool, I like to study up on it and I'll write about it in the blog: CoinRollin.blogspot.com You're welcome to comment and add your numismatic knowledge and experience if you'd like. Thanks for sharing your awesome story with us. Sometimes I feel like, if I didn't have beginner's luck, I wouldn't have any! lol

CoinRollin.blogspot.com

• Options

@COINS MAKE CENTS said:
    Going threw a box of pennies and finding 3 black planchets.

Finding wheats always made me really happy too

That must have been cool! I've never found a blank planchet before. I've searched quite a few boxes of pennies. Thanks for sharing!

CoinRollin.blogspot.com

• Options

@Jackthecat1 said:
    A War nickel in a roll of nickels sometime about 1975.

I'm still looking for my first war nickel. Thanks for sharing with us!

CoinRollin.blogspot.com

• Options

@ricko said:

I've only found clad, too. But, I've only been doing single roll hunts. I just ordered a $500 box of halves and they should be coming in soon. I'm hoping my luck changes. I'll be making videos as I search through them. If you want to join the hunt, I'll be posting the videos here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6XQ4I8isUubtqBiB_qxD7w
    And if I find anything cool, I'll study up on it and write about it in the blog: CoinRollin.blogspot.com You're welcome to comment and add your numismatic knowledge and experiences if you'd like. Always looking to add a new perspective to the community. Thanks for sharing!

CoinRollin.blogspot.com

• Options
    KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

My best "roll" find was my first attempt. Picked up a bag of halves out if the vault at the local CU. Out of ~$108, I was able to pull one Frankie, one '64 Kennedy, and maybe one or two 40%'s.

Very nice score @BillJones ! Sounds like the 'ol "face value" offer some buyers try to get away with. Coin Gods were looking out for you that day

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭

My best friend in school's mom used to work as a bank teller. We would ask her to buy & bring home for us penny rolls (we were young, poor, & too naive back then to check dime/qtr/halve rolls for silver) to search thru. One day, while searching through each of our rolls, I found an 1876 IHC in mine! Still have it. Can't say the same for my friend, though.........

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have found a lot of DDO, DDR, RPM in many rolls and I still have bags of roll to look at one roll sticks out I once looked at had 19- 1960-D/D Sm over Lg date DDO. That was a very cool find.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its hard to make out in this set - but its a 1924 D, maybe GD/FR. I found it roll hunting around 1967. My dealer who got me started was thrilled I pulled it from a a roll way back then. it is still the ONLY coin I have from when I first stated collecting.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file