Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Encased postage 30 Cent Stamp Patrick & Gault 1862

WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is the best source to research this item? I have done a bit of online research but would like to know more about this piece. Any help appreciated.

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website

Comments

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would try looking in the following:
    Hodder MJ & Bowers QD/Standard Catalog of Encased Postage Stamps
    Reed III FL/Civil War Encased Postage Stamps: The Issuers and their Times

Try Wizard Coin Supply, Kolbe & Fanning, etc., as I think that both are out of print.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    LouisCampLouisCamp Posts: 468 ✭✭✭

I think these are listed in the Scott's Stamp catalog, US Specialized.

lchobbyco
    ANA Life-Member
  • Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

I like it. It's in great condition.

• Options
    panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

Auction listing for another of these in fair to good condition.

Kirkpatrick & Gault, New York, 30c Orange (EP119). Stamp with incredibly deep rich shade
    suggestive of the Deep Orange seen on the 30c First Color (Scott 61), superb positioning with
    labels at top and bottom fully visible (this encasement is usually not well-centered) small tear at
    top, some mica flaws, one noticeable at left near edge, intact case with a brightly colored reverse..
    VERY FINE APPEARANCE. THIS KIRKPATRICK & GAULT ISSUE IS ONE OF THE FEW 30-CENT ENCASEMENTS
    WHICH EXIST IN ANY SORT OF COLLECTIBLE QUANTITY. .......................................................
    The Reed census assigns an R-6 rating to the 30c Kirkpatrick & Gault (16-20 known). . 2,750.00

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of the best references for these are in auction cats, mine are packed right now, so I can't be specific. Check Early American Auctions (if they have archives), HA.com, etc. and whoever auctioned Wayne Homren's collection. If you strike out maybe contact Wayne at E-sylum on the NBS website and ask him for references.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

much cool

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

Wow! A .30 center!

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 2017 Scott Specialized (stamp) catalog lists it as EP119, catalog value $3,750.
    The brass part is in reasonably good condition, although all of the original silvering is gone.
    The mica lens is pretty rough. 30-cent encased stamps are quite unusual.

• Options
    WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks all... I sincerely appreciate the help!!

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember seeing one on Pawn stars one episode, don't remember the price they got, but Rick did bring in an expert and said it was pretty rare and valuable. -If my memory serves I think it was a Washington stamp. Pretty nice regardless though.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking piece.

From a quick online search, SEGS seems to be the main TPG for these. Will PCGS slab these?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another item I have not seen before... How interesting... I have been to countless shows and shops and never saw one of these.... or if there was one, I passed it right by. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

The case is original and does not appear to have been tampered with. High denominations can be created from lower, less valuable ones by opening the case and replacing the stamp with a higher value. Your example shows no evidence of tampering.

Anything above the 10 cent is scarcer and worth a considerable premium over the lower denominations.

The mica and the stamp, however, are below average quality which will limit the value somewhat.

I would estimate the value at $1500-$2500.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

The normal expert that Pawn Stars used for this stuff was Dana Linett, of Early American, fyi. Dana is knowledgeable and has good stuff, but in my opinion, his PS fame has gone to his pricing. lol

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file