Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1878 and 1884 carson city morgans

What are your personal requirements on when to send coins to PCGS? Not knowing anything about grading I would say the 1884 is slightly better than the 1878 but how much does this affect the value? Obviously this changes between different coins/years but use these morgans for example. Should every coin in a collection be sent for grading? I like the idea of having every coin of mine graded and a set value (at least for that moment in time) assigned to it but that would be quite expensive. Send only rare ones? Send ones > $100? Or is there somewhere I can post pics of every coin in my collection and get objective opinions on grades so I can assign an accurate value? I don't need to know the value to sell, only for my own knowledge. Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but that 1884 CC that you have pictured is counterfeit. The date and lettering is wrong. The surfaces look porous and the mint mark is wrong. Sorry

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    ranger1202ranger1202 Posts: 68 ✭✭✭

uploading pictures of the 78 would help...

• Options

@morgandollar1878 said:
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news but that 1884 CC that you have pictured is counterfeit. The date and lettering is wrong. The surfaces look porous and the mint mark is wrong. Sorry

No problem at all. I appreciate the knowledge because i'm going through a ton of coins with zero.

• Options
    edited February 27, 2017 8:28PM

The best thing to do is get a book that covers the topic of grading. Submitting coins to PCGS for grading you should only do with some experience as it can be a hard lesson in coin collecting. Doing so without experience can be a waste of money. You can post other pics of the other stuff you have here just keep adding it to this thread that you started here, most of us are very willing to help others. That 78cc is genuine, probably cleaned and a low end very fine or high end fine details.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

I realize you have already been told, but the 1884-CC is absolutely counterfeit. This look might be something to keep in mind to help you spot other, similar fakes.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone used a 1921 Morgan to create your counterfeit 1884-CC. The 1878-CC appears to be genuine, but the cost to have it graded would range from 30% to 45% of the fair market value, so not worth having graded.
    And FWIW, I advise you to either use a better stapler on your mounts, or make sure that the staples are clinched completely flat. Never leave the barbs of a desk top staple exposed the way that they appear in your images.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options

Thanks everyone. Here are two more, i'd like to know what ya'll think.

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a group of Fakes my buddy bought a while back... He got burned pretty bad and they look identical to your 1884.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

That uniface 1921 is interesting....I'm assuming something was done post mint, but interesting none the less.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

Yeah I was curious about that one myself. What do y'all do with counterfeit coins made of silver? Have them melted down?

• Options
    Rob85635Rob85635 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭

This thread is scary, makes me never want to buy a raw morgan again.

Rob the Newbie
  • Options

@Rob85635 said:
    This thread is scary, makes me never want to buy a raw morgan again.

That is why you use it as a learning situation, and learn what to look for.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fake Morgans are far too plentiful. As a new collector, you should stick to slabbed coins until you gain enough familiarity and knowledge to assess the coins yourself. Welcome aboard... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    Fake Morgans are far too plentiful. As a new collector, you should stick to slabbed coins until you gain enough familiarity and knowledge to assess the coins yourself. Welcome aboard... Cheers, RickO

All of my coins came from my grandfather's leftover inventory after 30+ years in the coin industry. I've been making my way through thousands of raw coins and some of these fakes were mixed with other raw authentic ones. They may have been purchased as an entire box of coins without him going through them (he made those deals regularly and they were very lucrative when he had time to sort them) or I'm sure he was burned by a few over the years. I know nothing about grading or spotting counterfeit coins so I joined here to lean on you fine folks.

I think the best idea is to take them to a local coin store and pay someone to sort through them all and cull out the fakes. That way I can focus on having the authentic ones graded and assign a value to them. I see the attraction to coin collecting and i'm really enjoying organizing the loose raw ones and preserving them for my children. Who knows, I may buy some to fill any gaps and if i do they will absolutely be slabbed.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    I realize you have already been told, but the 1884-CC is absolutely counterfeit. This look might be something to keep in mind to help you spot other, similar fakes.

It is interesting that the Chinese are now "aging" their coins by putting rim bumps on them. This one has one near the date which usually a killer on a genuine coin. But I support the thought is, why would a recently made counterfiet have a rim bump in a bad place like that ? If you get a fish to pay the usual $30 to $40, which I've heard is the going price for these things at the flea markets, the crook has gotten what they wanted.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file