Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Your thoughts on this 1950-D W.Q...?

AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello folks. I stumbled across something that's confused me.

I believe this to be a 1950-D D/D/S.

My responses from dealers:

• RPM
  • D/D
  • D/S
  • D/D/S

I tend to agree with the DDS. What says to me that there's an S under there is the top left of the MM is a the top curve of an S. In the center, there's a "dot" that appears to be the curvature of the S that year. The negative space in between helps show its an image beneath, at the thinnest part of the S. In the last picture, I see what appears to be the tail of an S on the bottom left. It also looks like the S got smashed a little during the process, making it a bit more curved and drawn out.

Cheers and thanks, I'd definitely like opinions before sending off to our host PCGS, the world leader in coin grading services. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

It appears to be a D/D MM however it is not one of the major RPM's that are worth the big bucks.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2017 8:11PM

I dont see an "S" in it, but I clearly see something there. Mostly a RPM or shelf doubling, but its not one I find in my issue of the CPG.

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the one you want to find....

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2017 8:29PM

@morgandollar1878 said:
    It appears to be a D/D MM however it is not one of the major RPM's that are worth the big bucks.

Thank you. I noticed the 1950-D WQ's are hard to find without an RPM of some sort. I only have a clear D on one of 10 coins and even then it looks like D/D east like a lot of them.

@erwindoc said:

Thanks.. that gives me a much better idea! Wish I had that in my hands it's very pretty.

Edit: In the 4th image, what is that vertical "bar"? Just extra metal or something?

And this coin would be a generous MS64, right?

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Azurescens said:

@morgandollar1878 said:

Thank you. I noticed the 1950-D WQ's are hard to find without an RPM of some sort. I only have a clear D on one of 10 coins and even then it looks like D/D east like a lot of them.

@erwindoc said:

Thanks.. that gives me a much better idea! Wish I had that in my hands it's very pretty.

Edit: In the 4th image, what is that vertical "bar"? Just extra metal or something?

And this coin would be a generous MS64, right?

The vertical bar that you mention in the loop of the "D" in my opinion is a part of the vertical line on the underlying "D" mint mark. Others may have a different opinion but I have this same D/D example.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see the D/D, but cannot see an S....the example by erwindoc is very clear... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file