Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1955 double die Lincoln

So i'm new to the forum and new to coin collecting in general. I've inherited a significant collection of coins from my grandfather and would appreciate any help offered. My grandfather was in the coin business for years and what I got from him isn't exactly a collection but more leftover inventory from his business. Some he may have kept because they were valuable and some he may have kept because they were not real. I've read there are a lot of 1955 double die fakes out there so what do y'all think about this one? If real, should it be sent for grading? I'd like to authenticate a lot of these items and preserve them for my children. Thanks in advance and I can produce better pictures if needed.

Comments

• Options
    SNMANSNMAN Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭

Welcome to forum:)

Nice coin, I would get it slab.

Positive Transactions with: justindan; Drunner; Segoja, Dragon, fivecents, Connecticoin, WTCG, gsa1fan, abitofthisabitofthat; commoncents05;Broadstruck; and ......more
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome, ranger.

Yes, that looks like an authentic DDO. And it should be certified and slabbed. PCGS grading will get you top dollar when you sell.

On the left wheat stalk you will see a dark corrosion spot and a light green spot above that. Another spot at the top of Lincoln's head, under T. Some of these can't be helped but some can be removed now with a simple treatment called VerdiCare. You can't misuse it. Just be gentle dabbing it on and off. (Alternatively you could have PCGS conserve it for a price.)

Have fun with grandpa's coins!
    Lance.

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see anything that screams fake to me...but this isn't my area of specialty.

You can compare it to authentic coins on PCGS CoinFacts here: http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/2825

• Options
    ranger1202ranger1202 Posts: 68 ✭✭✭

Sounds good! I'll definitely send this one off to PCGS. Thanks for the advice on VerdiCare, I've wondered if there was something safe to use. I have quite a few more i'm interested to get opinions on and will post them soon. Thanks again.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

The looks good to me, but I agree with the others that certification is a good investment.

There are two very thin raised lines that come down from the left side of the top bar of the "T," in "CENT" not far from the stem of the letter. They are very faint and hard to see, but if they are there it is a strong indicator that the coin is genuine. It takes a 10X glass and a good eye to see them.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2017 5:23PM

Something bothers me just a little about this coin. Hopefully I am just wrong from viewing it from a photo. But as bill said, check for the two vertical lines parallel to the T in cent on reverse, if its there chances are pretty high she's good, and if so should grade well.
    If not, its not. Several years ago, a local dealer here (now out of business) got a pretty darn good fake in, it looked good, there was no way you could tell by reviewing the coin except it did not have the vertical lines at T. I told the dealer , it s not real and he swore up and down I was wrong till he submitted it.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is some good info on die markers for the DDO:
    doubleddie.com/302101.html

I don't put a lot of stock in these die marks. They're often impossible to see, if they exist at all. I looked at all the Coinfacts' images and couldn't detect die marks on virtually any of them.

Here's a close-up of a real DDO PCGS MS62. Where are the marks?

Still, everyone agrees OP's coin should be submitted. There are some pretty good fakes out there. PCGS can be trusted to get it right.
    Lance.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Browns are worth a lot less than the RBs, but still in demand, not like they used to be.

• Options

I think I can see them through a 10x loupe but I may just want to see them. I'll send it in and see what PCGS says. Anyone want to take a shot at what grade it might come back as?

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

For sure send it to PCGS. I collected these in my youth. I found a counterfeit in change once so definitely send it off (PCGS knows best). Beautiful coin! My father and I used to look for these day and night and it paid off.

I don't know your money situation, and thousands of dollars is always nice, but if you don't have to, don't get rid of all his treasures. It's easy to buy a replacement, but you'll never see "his" coins again. Learned that the hard way.. twice. If you're not into collecting coins, find something meaningful in them, like birth years of you and your spouse or family, or something that helps keep the attachment alive.

• Options

@Azurescens said:
    For sure send it to PCGS. I collected these in my youth. I found a counterfeit in change once so definitely send it off (PCGS knows best). Beautiful coin! My father and I used to look for these day and night and it paid off.

I don't know your money situation, and thousands of dollars is always nice, but if you don't have to, don't get rid of all his treasures. It's easy to buy a replacement, but you'll never see "his" coins again. Learned that the hard way.. twice. If you're not into collecting coins, find something meaningful in them, like birth years of you and your spouse or family, or something that helps keep the attachment alive.

I agree completely. I'm interested in authenticating and preserving these for my children or their children. Honestly, the last thing I need is a new hobby but i'm really enjoying doing the research and organizing them. Knowing the value of them only helps justify sending them to be graded and authenticated or not.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Need to send it in to get any money for it.

But looks a bit off or not right to me.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks ok to me, send it to PCGS to authenticate. :smile:
    And welcome. :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:
    Here's a close-up of a real DDO PCGS MS62. Where are the marks?

I see what appear to be two vertical die marks between the lower half of the "N" and the lower half of the "T" in "CENT".

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm on the fence.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

My initial split-second gut assessment was that the coin is a fake.
    Doesn't look right to me; reverse especially, looks off.
    Hope I am wrong--in hand examination would be best---I have seen quite a few fakes on these.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ranger1202 ....Welcome aboard... this cent looks authentic to me....Please come back and let us know what PCGS says...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking forward to Fred,Charmy, Captain, and Eagle Eye to weigh in with their opinion.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

that looks good from this end from what i can tell. send it in and get it slabbed like it was said

• Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

I really really really love this error! Very few errors are so bold and compelling. :)

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file