Home U.S. Coin Forum

Gary Adkins Associates, Inc. and DLRC have joined forces

VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just got this email from Gary Adkins:

_Dear xxx xxxxxx,

Effective March 1, 2017, Gary Adkins Associates, Inc. and David Lawrence Rare Coins have formed a new Affiliate relationship. Gary Adkins, President of Gary Adkins Associates, Inc. and John Brush, President of David Lawrence Rare Coins, have officially announced blending of the brand's assets, which will continue under the David Lawrence Rare Coins (DLRC) name. Gary Adkins will maintain an office in Minneapolis, serving clients of both firms. John will continue his role as company president at DLRC.

After over 50 years serving collectors and investors, Gary Adkins will now work with John Brush to combine the brand identities into a more dynamic rare coin company. Both firms are known for their commitment to collectors and their extreme dedication to customer satisfaction. They have dedicated themselves to the principles of the Professional Numismatists Guild (PNG): honesty, integrity, and reliability, and will continue to provide great value, high quality and unsurpassed customer service.

Gary and John are both seasoned Professional Numismatists with over 75 years of combined knowledge and experience. They saw an opportunity and synergy that was unlike any of their competitors, and it was amazing how similar their philosophies and business operations were. Rest assured, Gary and John will work very hard to seamlessly mesh the operations and make this transition work to their customers’ advantage.

With Gary’s enthusiasm and credentials, combined with John’s youth, skills and foresight, the company will make new and meaningful advances in the Numismatic marketplace. Building on both companies' combined web presence, they plan to offer greater variety and scope of inventory, expansive auction services which have been well established by DLRC, and increased convention attendance They hope to be one of the most resourceful and responsive companies in numismatics and will work hard to be the best. Gary and John are committed to being there for customers at every level of service required, offering the very best their team can provide, and nothing less than their customers deserve!

As Gary and John move forward in this new relationship, they ask your patience and continued loyalty. There will undoubtedly be a transition curve, but rest assured they will be available to answer all questions and concerns. They will be continuing to update their customers as they move forward to combine and roll out updated websites, eBay and Collectors’ Corner sites. In the meantime, keep checking in and please don’t hesitate to call Gary or John with questions or concerns. Their phone numbers are listed below for your convenience. Thank you for your continued friendship, support, trust, and business!

Gary Adkins                     John Brush _

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best of luck in the new endeavor.... Cheers, RickO

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, received the same email...I have nothing but positive dealings with both, more so Gary Adkins, but...we'll see.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

So there isn't a guy named David Lawrence? I always assumed there was. My guess is there was at one time, but retired and was bought out by John. Interesting.

I've bought from both. Hopefully Gary will teach John the positive customer experience of including candy with the coins. That would be cool. :p

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh yeah, Steve (Gary Adkins) gave me candy before, Werther's Original in a little golden drawstring bag..

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TopographicOceans said:
    So there isn't a guy named David Lawrence? I always assumed there was. My guess is there was at one time, but retired and was bought out by John. Interesting.

David Lawrence Feigenbaum was the founder of DLRC. He shortened the name to David Lawrence. He has since passed away. The company was run for many years by his son John Feigenbaum. John is now editor of the CDN and his former VP John Brush now runs DLRC. I have nothing but positive dealings with DLRC and, although I've never purchased from or dealt with Gary Adkins, his reputation and experience precedes itself. I wish them both the best in this new business venture.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have dealt with both and like both. David Lawrence (Feigenbaum) died of ALS. His son stepped back from DLRC operations to run CDN. I think I have this all correct.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have dealt with both and have nothing but positive experiences. I still miss the days when David Lawrence had so many raw Barber coins. Really made working on my Dansco's an easier task.

I also purchased many of the books they published back in the 90's.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe I'm a pessimist....but two coin dealers merging just means there is one fewer coin dealer!

Like those posting before me, I've dealt with both firms. They do seem like a pair of companies that have similar inventory and focus, so I wish them well. It just seems when things like this happen, they merge to such an extent that the net result is the same as one of them closing their doors.

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if Gary is doing this to get out from under the onerous Minnesota laws. I've had positive dealings with both and I wish them luck.

• UltraHighReliefUltraHighRelief Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2017 10:07AM

Best of luck to both companies. Gary Adkins and John Brush are both class acts!

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gary wouldn't remember me, but I remember him. Nice guy. Good luck with the firm. Fair and square.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope that some aspect of the Gary Adkins company remains from this merger. I did a fair amount of the business with him. The auction format is collector hostile from my point of view. I am really soured on auctions because I've been shafted so many times.

Show the item to me; tell me your price; and I play or not. Auctions are fraught with auction firm manipulations, crazy price is no object bidders and limited to return privileges if the lots are not properly described.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • AblinkyAblinky Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

Best of luck, both are class acts and important figures in our hobby.

Andrew Blinkiewicz-Heritage

edited February 27, 2017 11:22AM

People brag about how wonderful "Great Collections" is. They had a coin that I needed. I asked them at FUN if they are brought for me to examine. They said, "No." I think that I had sent them an email asking to look at the piece. I'm not entirely sure about that.

I was not impressed with the photo of the coin on their website, but sometimes things are different when you see the piece in person. Their reserve on the piece was "all the money" and then some, but I would have paid it if I liked the piece. Basically I was nowhere. I couldn't bid because I couldn't see the item. The "Great Collections" model does not work for me.

At least with Heritage I get good advice about a lot. They will tell me if the bid has gotten too high, or if a lot is not that nice for the grade.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • JBatDavidLawrenceJBatDavidLawrence Posts: 500 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the kind words everyone!
    We're excited to work with Gary and to expand our presence at coin shows and in being able to deal with customers directly. It will take us a little time as we merge the processes, etc but this is truly done in an attempt for us to both offer better services to our customers and to expand our reach in the hobby.
    As for those who don't like auctions, we'll still have many coins to choose from for direct sale, but we'll also be able to offer longtime customers of Gary's auction opportunities when the time comes to sell.
    Of course, if you have any questions, please feel to reach out to Gary or I directly. We're happy to speak with you. I'll do my best to follow this thread as well in the coming days...

Thanks!

John Brush
    President of David Lawrence Rare Coins www.davidlawrence.com
    email: John@davidlawrence.com
    2022 ANA Dealer of the Year, Past Chair of NCBA (formerly ICTA), PNG Treasurer, Instructor at Witter Coin University, former Instructor/YN Chaperone ANA Summer Seminar, Coin World Most Influential, Curator of the D.L. Hansen Collection

It's good to hear that Gary will still be at the shows.

• LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

One less dealer because of stupid laws sad to see.

• coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the merger now has nexus in Minnesota, I wonder what will be the ramifications of the stupid Minnesota law that severely restricts selling to or buying from them.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never dealt with DLRC and only know them from their very fine reputation. Gary Adkins is a very good guy and a class act.

Tom

• DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

Two class acts running two great companies.

Best wishes for success with the new venture, Gary and John!

Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't bought from DLRC in several years, in fact since Win Left. (nothing to do with that reason, just coincidental) But had nothing but good transactions with them in previous years. I even Drove up there several years ago and bought a couple of more expensive coins in hand.

I have not done much business with Gary Adkins, but the few times I have in person at Baltimore both on the buying and selling side, were nothing but pleasurable transations, and they are as straight shooter firm as they come.

• jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭

Is coin industry being consolidated? This is the second large coin company M&A I heard in the last six months =D

an SLQ and Ike dollars lover

@coindeuce said:
    If the merger now has nexus in Minnesota, I wonder what will be the ramifications of the stupid Minnesota law that severely restricts selling to or buying from them.

This is an interesting question. We actually were one of the few national dealers that jumped on board and are licensed and bonded in Minnesota, in compliance with their first laws. This change in relationships actually won't affect any of our business in or our of Minnesota, thankfully!

John Brush
    2022 ANA Dealer of the Year, Past Chair of NCBA (formerly ICTA), PNG Treasurer, Instructor at Witter Coin University, former Instructor/YN Chaperone ANA Summer Seminar, Coin World Most Influential, Curator of the D.L. Hansen Collection

@jdimmick said:
    I haven't bought from DLRC in several years, in fact since Win Left. (nothing to do with that reason, just coincidental) But had nothing but good transactions with them in previous years. I even Drove up there several years ago and bought a couple of more expensive coins in hand.

I have not done much business with Gary Adkins, but the few times I have in person at Baltimore both on the buying and selling side, were nothing but pleasurable transations, and they are as straight shooter firm as they come.

I'm glad to hear that your transactions with both firms have gone well in the past. I hope that we can meet in the future and rekindle the relationship!

John Brush

@jcping said:
    Is coin industry being consolidated? This is the second large coin company M&A I heard in the last six months =D

I wouldn't go so far as to say that. This was truly a great opportunity for both of us. Gary has his hands full with the ANA board and the election for the ANA President position and we needed a larger presence at shows and the ability to reach out to more customers. It just seemed like a natural fit for both of us and we're excited for it!

John Brush
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

I miss your in depth newsletters, John!

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck to John and Gary with the combining of their businesses!

@BillJones said:
    People brag about how wonderful "Great Collections" is. They had a coin that I needed. I asked them at FUN if they are brought for me to examine. They said, "No." I think that I had sent them an email asking to look at the piece. I'm not entirely sure about that.

Hi Bill, can you see if you sent us an e-mail about the coin prior to FUN? We bring coins to every show by request. Even if it's a $15 coin, we're happy to do so. In addition, always pleased to give our advice on values of coins and our own opinions about lots. Just call or e-mail us.

Regards,

• Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
    edited February 27, 2017 3:35PM

Looking into "sent items" I guess I didn't an email. It was a coin with an open of $1,900 with a 10 % buyers' fee that pushes it up to almost $2,100. when similar items had sold for $1,700 to $2,200. The photo was not flattering; the opening price was pretty much full retail; so I didn't pursue it. I didn't know that you travel for Florida from the West Coast.

• blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

I was not impressed with the photo of the coin on their website, but sometimes things are different when you see the piece in person. Their reserve on the piece was "all the money" and then some, but I would have paid it if I liked the piece. Basically I was nowhere. I couldn't bid because I couldn't see the item. The "Great Collections" model does not work for me.

At least with Heritage I get good advice about a lot. They will tell me if the bid has gotten too high, or if a lot is not that nice for the grade.

I have had GC bring me coins to see at shows and also advise of lots I was bidding on via phone/email. I would also be very surprised if they did not respond to you. I would keep looking there and email or call next time you see something you might like.

Best wishes to the new combined venture and glad to hear this is not a forced MN law issue. I talk to another ANA board member regularly and he says he can barely keep he head above water with board matters and cant keep up with his business so very understandable that it is the same with Gary.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • sadysta1sadysta1 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭

Good luck!!!

• good grief: bill jones were you are real dealer or serial whiner? if you really were a good dealer you would know all about how buy and sell via auctions. can not believe you did not have the common sense to ask to see a coin. DLRC and GC always work w/people

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two great firms getting together, what is not to like?

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both firms are great. Congrats!

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • logger7logger7 Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a few coins from Gary's company in the late 90s for a type set. It was called something like MGS/NSI. The $2 1/2 Liberty gold coin certified MS63 I later sold to Bill Jones at a Gainesville/Ocala area show in 2006. Quality is easy to sell and has few unhappy people.

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both organizations are absolutely standouts. I once emailed about a $100 coin to Gary's firm and the rep emailed me back in a couple hours - "I showed it to Gary and yes, it's ... But I wouldn't want you to buy a coin you aren't 100% happy with".

I think between the two they account for about 1/3 of my 3cs grade sets. These are sets where I look for a good example of the grade at a moderate price.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • logger7logger7 Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sent him an MS61 Seated dollar, PCGS OH. He had expressed interest in it to buy; examining it he said it was original but was too toned out and would probably not dip out well. I sent it to PCGS under their presidential review with his note, PCGS liked the coin and I got a nice note from DH. Experts can differ.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file